Can anyone suggest to me mythical creatures or beings you wanna see more in urban fantasy?

fruity20

Hey, So i'm working on a new rpg that's urban or modern fantasy (since I honestly wanna avoid the cliched, it takes place in a city things common in the genre), but I always wanted to give the spotlight to more obscure creatures like the chupacabra or tanuki.

seriously as much as i love vampires and werewolves, they're overdone. 

Edited by fruity20
  • Love 2

kitsune, unicorn, dragon, gargoyle, bigfoot

• Like 1

I like seeing creatures from non-european sources.  Though specifically Tengu, dodomeki, and bakeneko.

Wish you luck in creating a world for the atypical creatures.

• Like 1

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

I mean, is demons and angels too obvious?

I've been into Grecoromanness of late, so I'm thinking like, Centaurs/fauns-deerpeople, secret societies of amazons or the like...

• Love 1

BxChg6.png
HOME | PLOT | RULES | ADVERTISE

What the Future Holds, a newly opened post-Civil War MCU site with a world fighting to find its way, and entirely new mutant canon.

BxUppO.gif

Aside from everything that has been listed, I'd love to see some original species make there way onto the scene. I think if you are going to try to break away from the mold, then go the extra mile and really do it.

If you're not up for that I think you'll definitely turn some heads by having those nonhumanoid creatures as well, as many sites tend to stray away from those.

v7mhkA.png

Original Fantasy RPG

• 1 month later...

I have a thing for phoenixes, griffins, and hippogryphs. 

But i think maybe use ones that are appropriate for the area you're in. Like "firebirds" and "sasquatch" for a midwest settings, but chimeras and sphinx for Greek? 

I dunno. Or do a giant mixture. If they're personified,they'll be able to travel just like everyone else? #stylisticchoices

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

On a past modern fantasy site of mine, I had angels, chupacabras, gods, demons, dragons, fae/faeries, familiars, merpeople, shapeshifters, and witches and wizards in addition to werewolves and vamps. I also had lore written up for banshee, ghosts, and nymphs but that was never part of the site. My site required real life human playbys, so all of the animalistic species could shift into something fully human looking for at least short periods of time. I'd be happy to share some of what I wrote with you if I'm credited for it :)

One thing I will note is respect for other cultures. If you're just pulling monsters from various ones, or not keeping true to how they are originally portrayed, that's going to get into messy territory. The wendigo is a prime example of that and at the link, there's some interesting discussion around it. I think modern creatures and monsters is a great type of roleplay, but it also comes with the need to make sure you are handling things respectfully and not appropriating and changing real life information as you see fit. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yess, gargoyles and dragons. Gargoyles especially - they don't get enough attention.

Oh man. Gotta admit, invasive chimeras shutting down the subway would be something amazing.

Basilisks are one of my favorite creatures to see.

Edited by Somniac
  • Like 2

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

• 3 months later...

I have played these but here is my suggestion.

A were mouse ( cursed human who turns when traumatized) with a god complex. He is the big cheese.

A theif cursed to shift into a raccoon. 

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Avian shifters! We see a lot of werewolves and werecats, but I think we're ignoring a whole lot of badassery. Birds of prey are scary af and deserve a little love, IMHO. They're also living dinosaurs and that's just cool.

spacer.png

I always want to RP mermaids (I'm weird, sue me) but there are so few places I've seen that even offer it. It's always vampires and werewolves, werewolves and vampires. Phoenix's are amazing, too....or Chimeras?

Manticores, chimeras, thunderbirds! I love unique species!

Yokai would also be fun, or if you want an alternative to merfolk, you could use ningyo. There are so many cool creatures out there.

Personally I wanted to try making lore out of the Green Children of Woolpit, but my fellow staff said yeah, maybe not. 😂😂

• Like 1

GbQDuEL.png

We spent such a long time weeding through all the myths and legends. At the end of the day we narrowed it down to six unique races we thought were our favorites: Grypons, Merfolk, Dragons, Phoenix, Kitsune, and Fae

The past is a place of reference, not residence.

For an RPG that I'm developing, I'm actually taking figures from Navajo folklore and developing on those! I feel that a lot of supernatural sites tend to favor the same species, so they've become a little meh lately for me, so I've gotten into exploring other cultures for some fresh ideas!