How'd Your Character Get Their Name/Nickname?

Dragon

• Operations Mod

Do you have any special stories for why your character is named as they are, or why they received a certain nickname? 

In my Redford werewolf family, its a common practice for the oldest son to either inherit the father's first or middle name. 

So the current family patriarch is Seth "Red" Robert Redford, after his father Robert. He received the nickname Red as a boy, and while he usually tells people its just a play on a common nickname for Robert, short for Redford or a moniker he picked up boxing in reality he got the name because he was an unusually tiny baby - then went through an extremely unexpected growth spurt. So the name Red is actually a reference to the children's stories Clifford the Big Red Dog

Similarly his son's given name is Seth Redford, but his nickname among the family is Blue. He usually sticks with the 'Red and Blue' story, but its a play on the Dr. Seuss book One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish stemming from his Grandmother's play of "One Wolf, Two Wolf, Red Wolf, Blue Wolf". 

• Love 1
  • LOL 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

One of my favorite characters has the last name Weather and her parents named her Apryl. So her name is Apryl Weather. Her siblings are Tempest and August. The parents thought they were funny. 😉

• Love 1
  • LOL 2

In a novel I wrote ages ago, the Sage family has siblings named Tarragon, Coriander, and Rosemary. 

I also had a character named Christoper but he went by "Tow" as a nickname because he "once dragged an entire tow truck using his abs." His playby was Brock O'Hurn. Haha!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • LOL 1

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin

I don't think it's a particularly interesting story but my Character Alice has the middle name "Red" as in the "Red Queen". So she often uses Red as a means to keep people from knowing her real name. She additionally calls her 2 older brothers "The Tweedles" Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee  or just Dum and Dee.

My character Charlotte is called. Their dad Daniel Daniels wanted two boys and got two girls. Danielle (Danny) Daniels and Charlotte (Chuck) Daniels. It was a fun way to use Pushing Daisies in RP for me but daddy did it because he wanted to pretend like he had boys at work.

My character Lamont has the nickname from his best friend Alice that is "Lala" because she caught him singing and dancing like an idiot to "Brown Eyed Girl" in his bedroom when they were 6.

The rest of my characters have nicknames based on their shortened version of their name.... at least for now.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Andrea is named after his maternal grandfather. When he joined the privateers, he was 16 and he had been recommended to the captain by his lover, who was quite popular in town, and she had told him: "Take care of my angel!" Therefore, he was nicknamed, in jest, Mireille's Angel/ Angel... until, two - three years later, he defended the first mate in a sword fight and killed enough enemies to be worth the nickname Sword Angel, which he is having until now.

His sister was named Marina because she was born on the sea.

• Like 1

I have a male character named Jester which is  his real name. One day he helped two of his brothers and father beat up his youngest brother, but then he suddenly switched his allegiance from his father and brothers to his baby brother in order to "save him". But his father calls him "traitor" because of it.

I have another character named "Happy Giggles" because she is a six year old girl who always laughs, sometimes at the wrong time, like when she is in church. She doesn't mean to, but she does. Her real name is Avon Leigh LaBelle Devereaux.

Niasma

• 5 months later...

I have a male character named Takoda Nikau Rei. I originally was going to name him Dakota, but I wanted to be a bit different...literally just switched the T and D, lol.

Had a male character named German, but pronounced "Herman". Kids used to tease him (like kids do), saying "Herman's a German"...he wasn't German, lmao. He kinda like it though and started going by the nickname "The German". 

I have a genderqueer character named Micha Halle (MEE-sha Hall). Their nickname is "Magic" because they work as a pro-illusionist. Their stage name is Magic Halle. 

Got a male character named Baard Agnarr Wolff. His parents figured that since there were two F's in the surname, they would drive it on home for the first and middle name. Baard's parents also have duplicate letters in each name.

So does his grandparents. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will admit, I'm not particularly interesting in this regard; I typically just pick character names because I think they sound nice. 

One of my favorite characters is named Blue, and his younger sisters are Little Bird and Chrysanthemum. In-story, Blue received his name because he was born during a storm and the clouds were a deep, dark blue, but really I just got the name from the model Lucky Blue Smith, and Blue just stuck out so aggressively I knew I had to name someone that. 

umbra-galaxy.png

18+ multi-genre community. no application. no word count.

I had a character once where I really wanted to use the name Thorn, and eventually I came up with the story that this character was named because she would always be the thorn in her parents' side.

My favorite character name, that came to me one day and that I don't have any good story behind, is Rook Parsons. I wish I had a clever reasoning for it, but I don't. He just exists.

• 1 month later...

I used to have a few with last names relating to more or less obscure brands of beer (or at least some being just subtle enough, so no Budweiser or Corona) because it amused me and gave me a theme to stick to.

I had a few named after famous authors or teachers from what branch I study in, because a nice thick bibliography can give you up to hundreds of last name suggestions to pick from

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

A lot of my character surnames are from random books in my library. I hate finding names 95% of the time, so just looking over a few feet is great, especially with the average lifespan of sites these days. 

I was going to use a playby for Sirius Black, ended up using it for an OC instead on another site, but kept the name Sirius because I was lazy. 

I couldn't think of a name and I was watching Phantom of the Opera so I just called the character Raoul. 

I had a fae character that I named Rowan. I thought that was pretty funny because I'd read something about rowan being a holy or protective tree to the fair folk. I can't remember what it was, exactly, as it was some time ago. 

I named a character Phoenix because he went through hell but recovered and went on to be happy again. He's also a big fan of birds. 

I gave my OC death deity the surname of "Marvus" because it means 'deadly' or 'lethal' in his native language and he has the ability to kill people. 

I'm realising I have a lot of on the nose names. 

I have a character whose name/nickname is Mao (Chinese for cat) because he's a meowstic shifter in the Pokemon universe. 

Reality is an illusion.