Feedback - how and when should a member give it?

Morrigan

• Admin

I mean we all don't mind when we get constructive feedback, that's why we don't mind reviews and apps for the most part. But what about feedback on your site? On the way you run? A bad UX thing?

• Do you ever want to hear it?
  • Is there an appropriate way or an inappropriate way?
  • How to do you accept member feedback?
  • How to you encourage member feedback?
  • How often do you implement member feedback?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I usually do want to hear member feedback regarding the site if it's given in a constructive manner. If it isn't constructive at all, offering no suggestions or improvements, I'd consider that a bit inappropriate. I also prefer criticisms to be kept to discord because it's easier to discuss them there than on-site. 

I regularly try to encourage member feedback by asking members what they think about something on the site. Questions like 'what drew you in first?', 'is there anything you didn't really like?' or 'do you think there are any fun additions we could add to the plot, etc?' are always good to ask, particularly if you built the entire site on your own and want outside opinions. 

Member feedback is only something I tend to ask for at the beginning of a site's life or whenever something new is added/being added. If I'm throwing up a new subplot, I'll often ask what everyone thinks and take suggestions for it. 

So overall, I love member feedback if it's constructive because it lets everyone feel involved in the site and can be especially helpful if you're staffing alone and don't have anyone else to bounce ideas off of. 

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

Yup, I appreciate feedback... On PM. Give your feedback the time and space it deserves and I'll do the same in return.

Now that I think about it however, I don't think I'm really clear on being open to feedback and the best channel for it. Time to reread my documentation!

I don't tend to request everyone's thoughts on things. Just implement and see what happens. Mostly because the changes I make won't actually have an effect on the actual RP, so will not be detrimental to the important bit. Changes I make are around the important stuff, such as (hopefully) making it easier for people to make connections to write, providing inspiration, rewarding people for RP and fostering a community that reads each other's stuff.

Off the top of my head, I don't think I've knocked back any feedback and have implemented requested changes pretty quickly.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I  want to hear member feedback regarding the site if it's constructive.  I do implement it when I can and when it makes sense for the site. If I can't implement it, I explain why. Sometimes, I might say that if he wants it, to help me implement it.

There are also cases when I ask specifically for opinions and votes, and then, if you didn't say your part when I asked, it's like at the Catholic marriage - "speak now or forever keep silent."

Edited by Elena
  • Love 1

I prefer it when I ask for it. I assume if there’s a problem with how things are run, the staff, the theme, whatever—they’ll find something more suited to their tastes. 

• Like 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I have suggestion boards on all games I admin on. I want suggestions. Sometimes what makes perfect sense in my head is lost on others. I love feedback. 

Now... do I take it all and change everything on the whims of one? HELL NO! Ain't nobody got time for that. But some really great things come from opening the platform for suggestions. Some can be pretty amazing. Credit where credit is due, we're a community of writers. I like having my community comfortable with feedback. And I like to be free to ignore it 😛 

• Agree 2

The past is a place of reference, not residence.

I love constructive feedback and suggestions. Not all of them can be implemented but I appreciate it when people take the time to try to help rather than just complain.

We're a small group and really love positive kudos on well-done posts, plots, and characters. It's great incentive to keep going.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I love constructive feedback and I try to ensure there is a space for members to offer it. Not in chat! but in the questions and suggestions board or in pms or something like that. Let me know if something isn't working, maybe we can come up with something that will work, that sort of thing. I'm not fond of straight negativity esp if there's no clear indication of what they'd want instead, but here we are.

I've also seen admins ask for feedback on a certain change or idea in a discussion thread and then of course they hope members will chat it out with them - weirdly enough members seem averse to answering such discussions? Which is... unfortunate when it's things like possible plot changes or events or... even as drastic as software changes.

Anyway, it's appropriate for members to give feedback when it's asked for. For some sites and admins that's constantly - at least if you follow preferred methods of doing so. If you can't figure out what the preferred method is don't just drop the thing in chat, whatever it is, ask the staff member if there is a preferred method or if they are willing to hear it at all politely and take the answer you're given.

• Agree 1

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

The way I see it, there are three types of feedback:

• Fixing issues
  • Enhancing what exists
  • "I don't like this".

If something is ever broken or buggy, or something is written in a way that is confusing, please tell me swiftly and politely ("YOU SUCK FIX THIS !!!!! 1111" will never be well-received no matter how major the concern :P), please! We have a suggestions forum for enhancements/add-ons, which allows everyone to give feedback as well!

As to "I don't like this.", if you joined in spite of it, maybe just...leave it? If it's a recent change, though, we usually open up to feedback on that!

• Agree 1

IKiE2z.png