What methods do you use to avoid burnout?

Morrigan

• Admin

We all experience burnout on some level and some difficulty to overcome. Whether real life or other members.

What are your methods to cope?

Do you schedule time away from the computer? Does it help?

Tell us your secrets.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

It depends on why I'm burnt out and what I'm burnt out on.

I've mentioned elsewhere that being consistently social on discord always burns me out, so I've lowered the expectations I have on myself there - or shifted it to ooc forums, which I don't find overwhelming. So, identifying a consistent source of stress and altering my approach has helped immensely.

Otherwise, I might need:

- Sleep

- Alone time (gaming, watch tv, read a book, walk)

- Diet: eat healthy and I feel better.

- A quiet coffee

- Play with my cat

I don't necessarily schedule non-computer time, but making sure I do something everyday away from my computer/phone helps to keep me feeling fresh. Even just sitting on the couch and zoning out counts for me!

• Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I just went through a major RL and online life burnout. However, it had a specific major issue associated. I've just not been able to cope with leading my sites or anything else for a few weeks. Getting back into the swing of things has been harder than I anticipated!

Methods for coping now that I'm back....

• Don't force it! If I get up and am hurting too bad, I don't even open my laptop. I drink my tea and relax.
  • Doing more lurking. Yes! Even on my own sites. Fortunately, we are small and everyone has been patient with me.
  • Going forward, I will be scheduling my online time. I'll probably either sign on later in the day than I used to and stay on a bit later so I can connect with my group that live in other time zones.
  • When I get stressed with site things, I am going to back off, go chill out then come back to it.
  • Keep it all in perspective. Life and health have to come first.

That's about it for me! Great topic.

• Love 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I am looking for solutions too. Lately I am burnt out too. I gave up a site I was a member on and I am trying my best to post at least a little on my site.

Without fail, every single December-January, I have a virtual breakdown. The stress of holidays, family, my psychotic mother, I usually end up pulling back from everything and everyone. My writing included. I didn't really notice it as a pattern until this year when I was talking to the person I write most with. The first few weeks of January were like pulling teeth to get posts out, and I found this year is better (ish) but it took until this week to really start feeling close to myself again.

Part of that is the "grey". Anyone that lives in the Pacific North West will attest, we have some of the most majestic and beautiful landscapes in the world. And December, January, and part of February are just... Grey. Blah. Gross. It sucks the colour out of life, and the will to live out of even the most bubbly people. I'm sick of rain. I want spring already... I am struggling with 10 threads right now... compare this to the rest of the year when I'm struggling to keep up with posts because I have ALL THE EXCITE and dip into 32348739 threads at once.

I basically accept that I'm going to be less active this time of year. Make sure people know what's up, and whenever the sun comes out stand outside as long as I can 😛

• Cheers 1

The past is a place of reference, not residence.

I do spend time away from the computer or the site if it’s burning me out or overwhelming me. I’ll tell people close to me that I need a mental health day and spend the day listening to music, reading new books, spending time with my family and friends, etc. just anything to recharge my low energy. Although sometimes family IS the stressor. Alone time is also good sometimes. 

• Preach it! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I have a bad habit of focusing on only one hobby at once and going all out on it. So for instance I could draw like crazy for a few months and not really roleplay, or when I get super into roleplaying I might not draw or do any of my other hobbies. If I start playing video games I might only do that for a period of time and forget about everything else. This is when I tend to end up burning out. If I spread my hobbies out and make sure I'm doing lots of different things during the week, then I don't usually burn out at all.

• Cheers 1

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

I have the same pattern as Rivfader, I do tend to focus on one thing at a time until I “hate” it... which is super unhealthy in my honest opinion. Though I have attempted to avoid this by combining things that I do. Switch it up day to day and spread myself to the best of my capability. Even in this though I find myself burnt out a LOT.

One of the only mechanisms I’ve found helpful for this is nature and animals. I go out and enjoy fresh air, spend time with my pets and put away anything technology related. Refresh my soul. Sometimes I need to do this for a few days before I feel recharged, there have been times that I’ve taken weeks for “vacation” leave. However it always juices me back up so that’s going to be mine cope. 

• Agree 1

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png