Do you have a software bias?

Morrigan

I've never used Jcink, so I have no concept of what the setup and backend is like. I have seen some pretty sites that run it, but I've also seen some very ugly sites (that said, as a web designer by day, I have seen a lot of ugly websites on all kinds of platforms).

As a writer or potential member, I have no bias. I don't really mind what kind of software someone uses to run their forums on so long as they are easy to use, easy to read, and easy to write on. If I can't find what I'm looking for (information on how to get started, apps, threads, etc) because the layout is confusing or there's too many unnecessary graphics (no matter how pretty) or the font is too small, I'm out. I don't have time for fancy aesthetics when all I want to do is write, but this can be a problem regardless of the forum software used. All of them have their quirks, after all.

Am I, as an admin, biased? Yes. I self-host and use phpBB and MediaWiki. I have considered scrapping it all and going Wordpress because I'm more familiar with the software, but the thrill of learning something new has kept me going thus far and I'm quite in love with my modifications to our site's appearance. Nothing too fancy but still pretty. 

I find it odd that there are people out there who are looking for "Jcink-only" RPs or that the platform you're using to host your forum on even matters to your role play. What should matter is the genre, the story, and the other people playing—are the plots good? can you read the words on the screen? are you feelin' your other writers? then who cares what the platform is? jump in!

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

As an admin, I don't consider myself loyal to any one software. If a software comes along that I like better (and that is within my budget) then I'll ditch my current one and learn the new one. I've done it several times throughout the life of my games when I've come across software that had features I wanted that my current one lacked. I don't find that intimidating; I actually find learning new software fun! I'm not afraid of making test boards and just messing around to figure everything out. I even have test boards for my current software so I can test stuff and not worry about it breaking.

Right now, I'm enjoying SMF and am looking forward to the next big SMF software because it looks awesome. 8D But I've used and mucked around on pretty much everything but the big paid ones like Xenforo, Vbulletin, and IPS (used free ones that used that software, though). I used to run my games on phpBB, which was a software I liked for many years, and it's not a bad software, it just didn't have some features I really, really wanted, and installing mods and updates was a pain in the ass.

I guess the only stipulation is that, as an admin, I will never use a free host. I will always self host.

As a player, I don't care. xD If I like a game, I'll play on it. I'm the LEAST discerning person when it comes to that. As long as the load time is reasonable, I don't give a crap what it runs on.

Edited by Viscount Rhi-Rhi
  • Like 2

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

2 hours ago, Kit the Human said:

But why, as a member, do you have a bias against particular software?

Not that you asked me specifically, BUT!!

Like I've mentioned before (and to get the topic back on track a bit since I derailed it), I prefer RP sites that are responsive, aka, they're designed with smartphones in mind. This tends to exclude most Proboards and Jcink sites. In my experience, forum skinners focus on desktop design over mobile design (for obvious reasons). Since the default IPS and XF skins are responsive, sites using those software have (in my experience) a higher probability of being mobile compatible, which means I can actually surf the sites without wanting to claw my eyes out and horizontally scrolling for days on end (looking at you, Gaia).

• Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

Glub glub.

I really don't like.. whatever software this is? IPS? I have been on an RP forum with this software before too and it frustrates me a lot. 

I don't think software has ever kept me from joining an rp (anyone remember freewebs? holy cow so many pern sites on there idk what i was doing). These days its more about your sites accessibility. I do 98% of my rping and adminning on my phone. Not even my tablet because I am loser with that thing. But on my phone.

If I cannot properly be a member of your site or read information on my phone, I'm not joining. Jcink is the Worst about this. Along with a lot of post templates (because I hardly ever look at the software, i just browse the site). If I have to do weird scrolling or flip my phone to landscape, I'm gone.

It isn't even about features either. TPA is an account per person, and WL is an account per character, I play on both. One has bells and whistles, and one has fancy eye dergs. Both can be used easily from my phone.

• Like 1

88x31buttondandy.png

I'm hesitant at best when it comes to things that aren't forum-based. Forums are the entirety of my roleplaying experience, and jumping into a new community is stressful enough without adding a new software to the mix! Most forum softwares are vaguely similar, but when you leave that cozy bubble, there be monsters!

• Love 1

IKiE2z.png