Usability, Readability, Accessibility: The Reviews

Arceus

Thank you @Arceusfor all of that. I didn't mind the wait at all. I'll be looking into the things you mentioned and getting with my coder to help me with all of that. I'll also look into those noted color changes. I did try to keep the color scheme as close as possible to the entire forum color scheme and I sometimes forget that colors matter. Tbh the mobile was built into the base skin when I got it. So the credit goes to that coder. I'm glad to know that it works well on mobiles though. Thank you again for the lookover and suggestions.

• You're Welcome 1

spacer.pngDecadence

@Moxxi, hope it helps!

Navigation
- I would really recommend you move away from that row of icons on the left side. That is cute in theory, but it is very inaccessible overall to... a lot of users, really. You can easily do a navigation bar with tap-friendly drop-downs.
- Other than that, things look to be in a logical place. Didn't have any trouble getting around.

Accessibility
- Well, we're clocking around 6s to interactive on a 3G connection. This isn't the greatest. It also looks like probably the biggest blocks to a better response time are the four different icon fonts you're using (Saturn icons are the fastest loading), which I'd highly recommend deciding on one and JUST one, and the huge number of Google Fonts you've got embedded. There's no reason for so many fonts. Also remember that every variant of a Google Font has a payload like it's a whole other font. Every icon font is about a second to load per. Cut it down to just Saturn icons and maybe three Google Fonts and you've just shaved about four or five seconds off your load times instantly.
- Ideally, you'd have HTML landmarks in your wrappers. These are <header>, <main>, and <footer>. You can also use <nav> to denote the main navigation, and <section>, <article>, and <aside> also work. These are useful for users that have screen-readers or primarily make use of a keyboard for navigation.
- I would recommend upping the main font in size. 14px minimum for a sans-serif, 16px minimum for a serif is the golden ticket. Remember that monitor resolutions keep going up, and font size does have to go with it, because even if you can see unaided, 11px font on a 4K monitor is difficult to read.
- The middle-grey font colour is also almost impossible for me to see.
- There is... a subforums-macro class that consistently has no name. For maximum accessibility with these, I'd highly recommend giving them at least an aria-label. It can be blank, you just don't want screen readers saying stupid there.
- There are also images that have no alt attribute. These are important to prevent screen readers from saying stupid. Alt attributes can also be blank, but I'd recommend making them descriptive of what the image represents, and reserving blank alts for images that are just intended to be decorative.
- Might also want to add a title attribute to the iframe for Titan.
-- Also, since you do have Titan, some of what's coming up as wrong with your site on its diagnostics here might actually be from Titan. I can't tell, and I'll be honest, I'm not into figuring it out.
- Your <html> tag doesn't have have a lang denotation. This helps screen readers choose the right language to be reading a site in. You don't want a Spanish reader to be reading English. It's hilarious, but completely useless.
- Your site doesn't have a meta description. I'd recommend adding one, as many search engines are starting to use them in site snippets in search results.
- Some of the group colours are also hard to read.

Security
- I see you gave me the http link. Please use https. This is called SSL, or secure socket layer. A lot of browsers no longer like sites that don't have SSL enabled. More and more sites across the internet are enabling SSL requests, so check and see if the http links on your site can be changed to https. They most often can, and you don't need your users' browser falsely telling them your site is potentially unsafe.
(People are not smart. Misunderstandings happen.)
- Your outbound links do not have rel="noopener" or rel="noreferrer". These prevent security vulnerabilities from being exploited, and it's worth it to add one or both of them, because it's really no skin off your back to do it.
- There are a couple resources that are returning 404 (not found) errors. These look like placeholders that aren't working as placeholders, you may want to look at those or have your coder figure out how to prevent them from trying to load if they can't.

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• 5 months later...

Not sure if you're still doing these, but I had a lurk through the thread, applied some of what you told other people here, and now I'm curious what you think of Candide. Some parts still aren't done yet, and I know the mobile performance is probably hot garbage, but your expert opinion would be more than welcome!

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

I do indeed still do these, and I will have a looksee as soon as I get a second c:

(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

@Arceus (hi again lol) No worries! Take your time with it. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be switching software soon and converting the theme over, so don't worry about any of the Jcink-specific stuff. 

• 5 weeks later...

@ThriftStoreTeeth

Alright, this took an age, but I went ahead and flipped over to the Vesta version instead, here we go.

Navigation
- Uh this is kind of a navigation-accessibility thing but you may want to consider changing the font family for the menu, because for me at least, Oswald is quite difficult to read at that smaller size.

- Tbh, same thing with the ... oh I see what you did, yeah I'm still going with Oswald is just hard to read at small sizes.
- Very nice set up with the navi bar though, that's all pretty logical.
- Also pretty solid board arrangement. c:

Accessibility
- So your loading speeds could be improved. For the font embeds, the themes actually handle that natively, so just add them to the database in _views_variants and it'll automatically populate the Google Font embed code and such. Otherwise you can take what's in there out so you don't have it loading a font you're not using, and that'll take a second or two off load time.
- It actually loads in about five seconds on a 3G connection so, that's not too bad.
- You may want to lighten the Avarus? is that what that says? And Raider colours, they're not doing so great on contrast ratios and are unfortunately in bad colours for a few kinds of colour blindness.
- And the rest of this is really high scoring because Vesta is doing its job. Moving on.

Security
- I got nothin' here. c:

Strange I have so little for you. I suppose that's a good thing! Lol good luck!

• Thank you 1

No worries on the time thing! I should've held off on asking about it in the first place until I'd switched over, but I still wasn't 100% that I was going to. Thank you though!

On the menu thing... I'm not sure what the heck was going on, but it seems to ignore everything I try. Probably something to do with Bootstrap that I'm not thinking of, but I'll give it another go once the coffee kicks in.

And that's how you do the fonts with the variables?! Awesome! Thanks xD I just left it be because I couldn't figure out where to do it lol

On the Raider/Avarus colours (yeah that's what it says lol). Those are changing to match the rest of the layout... as soon as I decide on the colours to go with. Once I get that done, could I get another opinion on it? Cause I can convert the page to greyscale in my browser and they're all pretty similar to the link colours, but I'm lost on colourblind stuff outside of that.

Well, if it helps, it's actually getting its font family from this: a, a:hover, b, strong, i, em, u, s {} which appears to be in framework.css

Yeah, in the next update you'll be able to edit the fonts the theme loads in the admin panel xD Sorry.

And yep, sure thing! Changing it to greyscale will at least give you a really good idea of how easy it is to see it in comparison to everything else at least, though, so you're doing better than most people. c:

Yeah, I removed the other codes I'd been trying to use because clean CSS is my kink lol Same reason I shuffled some of the default CSS around between framework/light/dark.css. There's just something overriding parts of the styles that I can't quite sniff out. Like, there's an underline under all the links, despite a text-decoration: none; or 3 in the CSS for them, hence why I'm wondering if its something with Bootstrap possibly injecting something into the page that I'm just not seeing/aware of. I can usually make CSS and HTML dance, but this is one I'm confused on lol

And its all good! Now that I've seen it, the database doesn't scare me in the slightest, honestly xD

Awesome! Might be a few days before I settle on something I like, but I'll let you know. Vivaldi actually has some really nice filters/stuff that they call Page Actions for stuff like that, and I've been abusing the hell out of it lately to check on things lol

No, what you're doing is fighting yourself.

Remember that CSS stands for cascading style sheet and it goes in order from the first one that's loaded to the last one. Thus, anything in the CSS files that are loaded last will override what is in the ones that are loaded first.

image.png

This is in framework.css. I bordered in red what is triggering the Oswald font family.

image.png

This is in index_dark.css. I bordered in red what is causing your underlining. Because index_dark.css is loaded AFTER framework, it is overriding it.

...okay, I'll take the L on that one cause I'm an idiot lol I moved basically everything that wasn't to do with colouring stuff from dark/light.css to framework.css so all the sizing stuff was handled in one sheet and all the colour stuff was handled by the variant sheets for my own sanity (and to prevent stuff like this from happening, ironically), and I guess I totally missed that one. Sorry about that, and thanks for catching it! ❤️

• 5 months later...

I am indeed. I'm working on NaNo this month so I may be slow, but I will get to it in the next few days c:

• Love 1