Usability, Readability, Accessibility: The Reviews

Arceus

@Jerriah here you go. c:

Navigation
- Finding things isn't terribly difficult! Yay!
- Goddess' should read as goddesses. You're going for the plural, not the possessive.
- Personally I would put the archives towards the bottom of the site, they're not really high on the list of important boards to me, but that's kind of a personal thing.
- I'd highly recommend paring down your IC boards to the most necessary ones to start with. Which ones do you need *right now*? Take out the rest. Hide them in the staff boards or something, just get them off the index. High fantasy RPs are a hard sell, you're very likely to have a decent period of time where 97% of your site looks dead af.

Accessibility
- Whoa jesus that is bright as fuck. Um. Personally I'd tone that down a notch or two, that is a lot of white. At least offer a darker-coloured alternative because I'm ngl my vision blurred the second I turned off my site darkener.
- Your board descriptions are too small in font-size. For that matter, so is your lore. Also your posting templates. 14px+ for sans-serif, 16px+ for serif.
- Your background image is not fixed, and moves with the screen. This can be really distracting and cause problems for some people, so I'd recommend setting it to fixed.
- The tan-beige colour should be darkened somewhat, it is a little difficult to read the white on it. You'll likely also want to change the font colour of the links on the credit bar to make those also white. Alternatively, just change the white text to black.
- You may want to add a title to the cbox iframe, and alt attributes to any images where possible to help users that use assistive technology.
- Your <html> element should have a lang="" attribute.

Security
- You're not fully using HTTPS, there are some insecure requests, and I'm frankly not sure why, all of these are HTTPS enabled. Placehold.jp runs on HTTPS. Just change it to HTTPS. Why are you pinging Google Fonts without HTTPS? Same with Imgur?
- I wouldn't use Imgur on a Jcink site if you can help it, they don't like it and blocked Jcink sites from using their image service at least once before, not sure if they changed their mind or not but I wouldn't risk it.
- Where possible, I'd also add rel="noopener" or rel="noreferrer" to outgoing links. Heck, both, both is good.

Good luck!

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• 5 months later...

@Arceus

It's been a hot minute since you've had an accessibility review. But as someone who has been striving to make their site more accessible, I would love to hear your opinion on what we've done.

There are gifs on site. However, we have an accessibility agent that will stop animationsIf you feel a migraine or anything coming on!

siggy

@jessieberu Sure, shoot me a link.

(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

I'll have this in a few days, I've got a doctor's appointment and some other RL stuff to deal with but I promise I've not forgotten 😄

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Arceus said:

I'll have this in a few days, I've got a doctor's appointment and some other RL stuff to deal with but I promise I've not forgotten 😄

No worries! Real life always come first. Thank you! ❤️ 

siggy

@jessieberu Sorry this is late, I meant to do this a few days ago, but, well, what is time? Idk. We're steadily drifting towards a black hole and time is speeding up I guess.

Navigation
- This is not really navigation related, but, in your little slide out thingerdoo on posts, Status is missing a T.
- Other than that, finding everything seems to be relatively okay, and I didn't notice any other glaring typos. c=

Accessibility
- My first thought was "Wow I can read it! Nice!" But there are some places where the font-size drops to about 10px, and you should consider fixing this, namely the forum descriptions, and I haven't gone digging past that to see if anywhere buried in the site does it too.
- You're killin' me with the text colour gradients, tbh, I'd recommend lightening the darkest side of it. You'll want the extremes to be readable on your theme.
- Speaking of the gradient text, not everyone will be viewing the site with a browser that supports background clipping. ( Trust me, as a tech, I can tell you, more people use Firefox 12, if you're lucky and they're not on IE 5, than should be freakin legal. ) This means that you'll need to make sure the text is still readable without the gradient and right now, it actually kind of messes with my eyes. And then if they use a browser too old to support var(), it's transparent. All that to say... I'd change the transparent to something else for a valid fallback. Lol not with --group16's colour, that is a contrast ratio of 1.

( Interesting note I guess, there's something called chromatic aberration. You can look this up if you want to, but I'll just suffice it to say that some colours are hard for even non-colour blind people to see, not because they can't tell what colour it is, but because the eyes' vision goes blurry looking at that specific colour. This is very commonly blue light for most people, you'll hear things occasionally about people not being able to focus on an LED sign that's in blue. For me, this is actually the specific shade of muted red you chose for your gradient start colour. I also have trouble with certain muted golds. )
- I'm actually extremely impressed with that accessibility menu. Colour me surprised.
- Uhhh, I can't tell if you are, but if you're trying to load the user alerts and inbox menus without them being logged in, you should consider restricting it to only display those for logged in users. It causes some kind of scripting to trigger periodically that returns an error, and it's really just a waste of browser resources.
- IDs versus classes: IDs must be unique to the element they are on. I'd go through your ID'd elements and ensure that they all use different IDs. If not, you'll need to change it to a class. Having multiple elements with the same ID can confuse screen readers and other assistive technology and make navigating your site harder than it needs to be.
- I do believe your HTML tag can be altered, you'll want to add lang="en" - this tells screen readers and ilk what language the site is in.
- Where possible, images should have an alt attribute. Even if it's just blank.
- Also where possible, links that only have an image in them should have an alt attribute or a title in the link itself. This tells screen readers what to announce these links as, and makes them accessible to those that use such technology.
- You seem to have some non-list coding in lists, and some list coding outside of lists. Screen readers have a specific way of announcing lists, so you'll want to make sure that you follow proper list HTML structure. <ol> or <ul> parent element, <li> only within these parent elements, all other coding outside of these lists. I believe the #1 issue here is your sidebar navigation. If you need more than one of these lists, make separate lists, don't put divs inside of the one.

Security
- Typical HTTP/S things. Where you can, use HTTPS. A lot of things in here are HTTP and can be /S. ( I'd also mention you gave me the HTTP link for your site. Jcink is HTTPS enabled. )
- Also typical outbound links junk. Add rel="noopener noreferrer" to prevent some potential nasties. Not the end of the world if you don't, RP resources and sites probably aren't trying to browser attack your users, it's really just best practice.

Other Stuff That's Kind of In Between One and The Other Category
- I think a lot of this business in the rules can be pared down into a more simplified statement rather than like a miniature wall, even if you do end up needing to break it up into multiple bullet points for one of these paragraphs. A lot of text grouped together this way can be very difficult for those with dyslexia and ilk to read, and it's much better for attention spans and first impressions for these rules to be very easy to skim over and get the gist.

- As an interested guest, I'd wonder what the different colours are, so maybe having one of those colour keys at the bottom might be jazzy.

Overall, pretty solid site, you're certainly doing better than most Jcink sites I see, so good job there. And I wish your site well!

• I read this! 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon! I'm looking to improve on my website and would love to hear what you have to say. We currently run off of Simple Machines (SMF) and are using a pre-made, modified theme. Any information is appreciated. Thank you. ❤️

BEASTSOFBEYOND.COM

Beasts of Beyond - Index

owner of some website ❤️

@Orion 

Sorry about the delay, I haven't had time to be at my computer!

( Screw the review categories... )
- First thing I noticed is that the news box at the top is right up against the first category, but then the categories after it are separated. That's really weird and bothers me a lot lol so I'd just add some bottom margining or something to push the first category away from it.
- Same thing with the affiliates at the bottom? It's really just an aesthetic thing, I know I'm weird lol

- Oooohhh I can read it!!!
- Really nice choice of colours here with this theme, it's very nice-looking and it doesn't give me a headache to stare at. The only thing I might've done differently is make the lighter greens more of a tan, but like it looks fine like this. It's very clean and should be easy even for someone that has trouble with greens.
- I feel like rule 2 in behavior can be worded a little differently to sound a little less like a threat? I think it's mostly fine but it may sound a bit unwelcoming to people a little apprehensive about dipping in, if that makes sense. Idk considering your board stats I should probably just shut up xD
- Other than that, none of these seem to ramble or anything so they're pretty easy to read through. Good number separation.
- There are some colours for your groups that really need some help, I can name several that have a contrast ratio of less than 2. You're aiming for 4.5+. Most of them are Okay even if they're not good, but the ones that are really hard to read are Former Staff, RAN Donator, and The Typhoon. These definitely need to be darkened and you may want to consider darkening a few others.
- This site info guide is one of the neatest things I've ever seen wow.
- Great job getting your site responsive! One of the best jobs on SMF I've seen that I didn't do!!
- Oooh, your site loads in 1.2s good freakin job!! Not sarcasm! That's one of the fastest loads I've ever seen!!!! You have almost no performance issues that I can find wow!!
- Wherever you use the custom font, make sure there's a fall-back default font defined ( such as sans-serif, or so ), that way the text shows while the font loads.
- I'd define lang="en" in your <html> tag.
- There are some images that do not have alt attributes. These links also don't have link names so screen readers won't know how to announce these links. You'll want an alt on the image, even if it's blank, and a title attribute on the link.

Other than that, good deal, it's very easy to read and I don't hate it with my site darkener turned off! 😄 Best of luck!

No problem! I'm really glad to hear your glowing review and suggestions for the website. It's especially wonderful to hear after putting so much work into it after all this time. Thank you so much. ❤️

If I have any questions, is it alright if I message you further or post here? I miiiight need to have you emphasize on those last two bullet points a bit more if I can't figure it out myself. 

owner of some website ❤️

Just post back here 😄 

• 1 year later...