Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snickerdoodle

Hosting on the Initiative?

So, my co-admin has finally been convinced to get away from Proboards. I suggested we see about getting our board hosted on rpg initiative. I've been able to answer most of her questions, but there are some things I don't know. Such as...

Would members have one main account with multiple names/profiles, or would they have to register a different account for each character?

Is it okay if we have a redirect forum pointing back to our old forums because we can't migrate from proboards and we're too lazy to manually copy and paste all 7,000+ posts into a new board? 

Can there be two main admin accounts with equal powers (except the 'big red button' control, of course)?

I'm sure there will be more questions as she and I continue to discuss pros and cons.

Edited by Snickerdoodle

-A wild Arceus appeared!-

1: This depends on how you want to set it up. I wrote a mod for SMF that will allow different attached profiles that aren't exactly accounts, but can function as one as far as posting goes, so that is viable on SMF. Most self-hosted software has an account switcher mod of some kind that two-click switches a user from one account to the other, so it's not as much of a pain in the rear to do it that way, either. But I think my char manager for SMF is the only one of its kind on free software.

2: I don't see why not. It's your board, set it up however you like. (P.S. I did that once, copy-pasting 7,000+ posts over... 0/10, don't recommend. Rofl.)

3: Yes, just add them to the right member-group.

• LOL 1

Yes, the past does hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.

signature.png

Sites I Like

onyx2ban.jpg.dbe50dc399fa995bfe2963db7e2 button.png Roleplay Architects

Okay, awesome! Thanks @Arceus. So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you recommend SMF. lol
Would you say that software is similar to what's used on proboards, jcink, or something else? I'm not at all familiar with self-hosted software, so I'm trying to get an idea of how difficult it's going to be for me to set up. I'm familiar with proboards and the software(s) that was used on invisionfree and zetaboards before they went to tapatalk.

It just happens that I'm the SMF support person, and it's what I know best. If you're interested in giving SMF a shot, I've been working with it for over ten years, and I can do some amazing things with it, so I can definitely help you out when you get stuck.

SMF is nothing like Jcink, I can say that with certainty. I haven't seen Proboards recently, but, depending on how long you've been on Proboards, you may find SMF quite familiar; Proboards used to be based on SMF's predecessor, YaBB. The real drawing point with SMF is that it is extremely versatile and highly customisable, there are mods for every feature under the sun and there are some decent looking themes out there, the caveat is that it can be a rude mother fucker when you're trying to do anything with its back-end coding. Front-end admin stuff like setting up boards and permissions and stuff, that's all pretty easy, and you can search the ACP if you can't find something you're looking for, so that's nice. (I think it's very intuitive but I've been on it for 5ever so ofc I do.)

Yes, the past does hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.

signature.png

Sites I Like

Ok, so I've gotten started on things... And I'm curious about your character manager, @Arceus, but I see that it's not compatible with 2.0.15, yet. Is there something similar you can recommend that is compatible? Unless yours is going to be ready soon, that is. I don't plan on opening my forum for another week or two and I can hold off on adding a character switcher until the last minute if I have to. 🙂

Actually, it works on 2.0, I just have to write the installer. If I sit down and do it, I can have it out in a few hours, RL's just been being a jerk to me.

You can also actually download version 1 of ACM, that works on 2.0.

• Like 1

signature.png

Sites I Like

@Arceus Sorry to bother you again, but I'm just not having any luck and I really really want to use this mod. xD I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, the install went fine... but every time I try to start a new thread, reply, or edit my profile, I get an http error 500. Am I missing a setting? It was the first mod I tried, so it was happening with no other mods installed and on the default curve theme. There weren't any errors on install. I have since installed other mods and themes (I know it may not work with other themes, and that's fine... just saying that they weren't there at first and the error was)

Edit: I think this is the error, as far as starting a new thread, at least.... PHP Fatal error:  'continue' not in the 'loop' or 'switch' context in /home/ilvermor/public_html/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 2691
So, this? 

// Fix post count.
if($msgOptions['current_poster'] == $msgOptions['character'])
continue;

Ok.... I think I fixed it.... changed continue to return false.... we'll see how it goes xD

Edited by Snickerdoodle
Fixed?

Yes, that'll work. That also may not be the only place I did that. Kind of why version 2 was released lol but yeah. 

• Thank you 1

signature.png

Sites I Like

Hey @Arceus, just curious, is there a way to hide the member name for certain character groups? We've got one group of characters that are supposed to be mystery characters and knowing who plays them kind of ruins the mystery. lol If not, it's not that big of a deal. Just figure it doen't hurt to ask. 🙂

Edited by Snickerdoodle

Mark them as NPCs. I can't remember off the top of my head if ACM1 has NPC support, though, but it should.

signature.png

Sites I Like