How does one do donations?

fruity20

Before I commit, I'm trying to find ways to earn a steady income for my RP since I liked some of the premium features Jcink offered. The only real issues is how I go about doing donations. Right now I'm tore between using Patreon or PayPal, one of which gives good reasons to donate.

• I read this! 1

First and foremost, donations are not steady! Not all of your members will (or, more importantly, can) donate, and it's the rare community that houses members that will contribute on a regular basis.

That said, talk to your members. Something along the lines of, "Hey guys, I'm really interested in X features, but it's not something I think I could swing on my own. Is anyone able to help out? If so, what's your preferred platform for donations?" If at all possible, restrict yourself to platforms that won't take a cut of the money donated.

Edited by clipsed
  • Agree 1
  • Great Idea 1

IKiE2z.png

Paypal Donations "2.9% + $0.30 per transaction and no monthly fee"

Patreon "Patreon takes 5% of successfully-processed payments." They also have a processing and payout fee. 

On that basis, Paypal sounds like the better way to go, unless you have a solid reward program in mind that will probably attract more subscriptions to overcome the 3.1% + additional fees you're losing to patreon.

I would however, be upfront about your monetary goal. If I see a non-premium jcink site accepting donations, I'd find it pretty suspect. Now if I saw I non-premium site with a goal (say 80 bucks to get the annual subscription) and an indication about what has already been reached, I'd be less wary.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing to beware of: anyone who makes a payment to you via PayPal can cancel it, and you will lose that money- which can be a problem if you've already spent it.

People often feel they need to trust you in order to donate to you, but you need to trust them just as much.

• Agree 1