Addon Domains in cPanel?

Snickerdoodle

Question

These are probably stupid questions, but... I pretty much just want to know if we're allowed to use the addon domains when we're hosted on the initiative.  cPanel says I can have up to ten, but I didn't want to assume anything. If it's allowed, do I just use the same domain as my main board? Like if (subdomain).rpginit.com is my forum would I use (addondomain).rpginit.com?  Can it be a forum to test out mods or try different software?

2 answers to this question

Nah, you're fine!

So first, I do believe the only sub-domain of rpginit.com and etc you get is the one you sign up with. If you later register a top-level domain of your own, and want to use it on /public_html, you'll need to put in a support ticket to have that swapped to your primary domain. You can then create subdomains of your top-level at will, until you reach the limit.

Add-on domains are non-primary top-level domains added onto your account and assigned to a folder in your file system. I have ikorose.net which is at public_html. I also own shinso.xyz, and I can add this as an add-on and assign it to public_html/shinso, which will make it accessible via shinso.xyz, or ikorose.net/shinso. I also have a subdomain, acm.ikorose.net, which is also accessible via ikorose.net/acm. Does this make sense?

You are welcome to use add-on domains until you reach the add-on domain limit; however, if you don't own any top-level domains of your own, you'd probably have an easier time sticking to [subdomain].rpginit.com/otherboard type things (just install another forum at public_html/otherboard). You can, technically, have as many /otherthing type URLs as you like, and it is absolutely okay to have a test installation of your forum software somewhere.

Hope this makes sense, I just woke up xD

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

It makes perfect sense! To me, anyway. lol Thanks for explaining all that to me. I'm so glad I asked first. You have been a tremendous help this past week and I can't thank you enough. I feel like I'm bugging you all the time. If I get on your nerves, I apologize sincerely. I'm just excited because this old dog (me) is learning new tricks. xD

Thank you, again.

• You're Welcome 1