Open Coterie  ·  19 members

SMF Staff People

Help Topic Read Me

Arceus

To make this a bit easier on everyone, I'm going to go over some things to keep in mind when asking for help with something related to SMF. As we all know, SMF is a jerk, and some things I need specific information about in order to help; I can glance at it, and figure it out, but presumably y'all can't, which doesn't help us much when I can't set eyes on it. (If you're hosted on the Initiative, you're always welcome to submit a support ticket, get me a temporary administrator login, and I will fix it for you.)

So, hopefully, following this, we won't have any more 3 page long support topics. Lol

1. Always check your error logs. That should be the first thing you do. Both the SMF ones and the ones in Apache's error handlers (this would be the error logs section of cPanel). It's okay if there's nothing there, but if there is, copy paste the ENTIRE error for me. All of it. I need the filename, the error details, the line number, all that.
  2. Remember the four Whats: What did you do, What file were you in, What should have happened, What did happen. Answer these and I can help a lot easier.
  3. Try and keep each help topic focused on one problem. So if your MessageIndex.php file throws an error, and then your Display.template.php bugs out, make a second topic for the display template issue. This will make it easier not only for you to find later, but also others that have the same problem to find.
  4. If you are doing anything in your files, do one thing at a time. Save changes, check for problems, and continue. This way, you'll know exactly what triggered the issue you're having, and we'll know exactly where to start.
  5. I've said this a thousand times and I'll keep saying it, one more time for the fans in the back, do one thing at a time. I know, you're excited, it's broken, it's bothering you, but trust me, slow down. I didn't learn to do things in large chunks overnight and know immediately what broke when it does. Neither will you, and that's okay.
  6. As always, make sure your topic title reflects the issue you're having.

Unfortunately, I am the only one on staff that can support SMF; that means I may be a bit slow responding sometimes, but I do answer as quickly as I can, provided I'm not asleep... lol so I do ask for patience. =)

I will also mention here, depending on what is wrong with your ACM2 installation, I may tell you to work around it because ACM3 is right around the corner, and the more time I spend fixing ACM2, the less time I have to get ACM3 ready for beta testing. So if it's a really minor problem, consider if you can live with it for a week or two; I may ask that you do. There are a bunch of fresh installation ACM2 glitches addressed in these two threads, check there first if you're having trouble with ACM2's 2.0 version. For some reason, the installer only installs most of it, not all of it, but I'm going to be honest, ACM3. Once that's out, I'll go back and fix ACM2's 2.0 installer as best I can, as that is going to be the last free version of ACM, but until then, just hang tight.

• Like 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)