Activity checks-Do you do 'em and how often?

Foxypaws

Every two months (or more around the holidays), we have an 'activity check' where you post that you're alive. We give users 2+ weeks to do it, and if they haven't responded close to the end, we tag them again. We only do this because some of our species are 'limited' per the books' lore, and having a whole bunch of inactive accounts taking up those spaces isn't fair to new people or people who are more active. Same with our face claims. Having accounts taking up the claims isn't very fair either.  If we didn't have limits like that, I imagine we'd probably do even less, maybe a once-a-year cleanup of inactive accounts. 

Edited by Bro
  • I read this! 1
  • Like 1

I'm not personally a fan of activity checks - as a former admin, it was not only a good deal of work on my part (setting up the check, making sure I post it everywhere so people don't miss it, then having to deal with responses and time limit, yadda, yadda) but it definitely doesn't make people continue to post more, I have never ever seen that on any game I've played. Most people simply show up and make a post randomly in some old thread they've been neglecting to say "hi I've been here!" and then continue to do what they please. xD

Both of the sites I've been admin / owner of did not use activity checks. If I was really concerned, I manually did a search on my admin CP by "last date active", and then just inactivated people that were over whatever number of days I felt was an issue. Then, if they came back and found they were inactive, well all their stuff is still there so they can just let me know and I'll activate them. I think I even had a maintenance thread for that? 

And on canons / face claims on sites - well, you should have something in the rules about activity on those. So, follow your rules. *shrug*  If the rule is "canon characters must post icly at least once a week" and you realize they don't . . . inactivate them and free the canon back up or whatever. That should be in the rules though, so people know what they are getting into. 

Mostly it boils down to: either people are active, or they aren't. Make sure your site has a rule in place for those things if you are concerned about "wanted" names/face claims or canons. Then, you just carry out said rule. Easy enough. 🙂

/tangent - this reminds me of the very first wolf rp I ever joined, like 12-13 years ago. I became a pack alpha and had to take responsibility for making sure high ranked characters were active enough or they got bumped down. There was no activity check, I just looked for their last posts. I might have been the first person to really do it like that cause I remember people being weirded out about it. I was always like "well if they come back active, they just re-challenge for it?" LOL ah, good times. 😄

• Like 2

I have an every other month system. I run 2 activity checks a year and 4 interest checks. Just lemme know you're still interested in your characters. This allows me to easily weed out people that aren't active, and it also opens up face claims all over again for people to use. But it's also not an every month "didn't we JUST do this?" kind of thing.

I don't mind AC's I just hate MONTHLY giving people 1-2 threads per character to show that I am active on the site. Sometimes muses suffer or sometimes you don't like having a bunch of threads with one character. It just greatly depends on the situation.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

spacer.png

We don't have them. Not because they "Dehumanize" (wow dramatic) But because Admins have better things to do than waste time every month doing stupid AC's. Not only that, but they almost NEVER work how they are supposed to. You log on, do your AC and then vanish for the rest of the month. It doesn't encourage activity, its a chore.

General rule, if you haven't posted in the away section. We haven't seen a post out of you in a month. We will reach out to make sure everything is ok. (usually, we know well in advance because we talk to our players regularly on discord) if we get no response there's no big ceremony or drama. We'll archive the characters and move on. If they return, its as easy as unarchiving and updating for current plots.  Easy peezy!

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The past is a place of reference, not residence.

We have official AC's twice a year - Jan and July.  Our members know full well the timeline of them.  During the AC, we require members to link to an IC post made within the last 30 days for each character.  If they don't have one, then they need to make one.

In January, we started a post percentage initiative due to members having 30+, 40+ characters but posting like 1-2 times total a month.  We've had numerous current, as well as potential members, bounce due to lack of available FC's and coveted positions from active members but those who weren't using the characters.  So, to try to combat that, and to encourage members to only bite off as much as they could chew instead of hogging claims, we began requiring that members strive to post "50% of the time."  Basically - if you have 10 characters, we anticipate that you should be able to post 5x in one month with any combination of those ten characters.  Posts are tracked via a master spreadsheet and percentages are communicated with members each month, so they know where they're sitting if they aren't tracking it already on their own.  After 3+ months of failing to meet 50%, then we'll chat with them privately and encourage them to drop a char or two to help their posting-to-char ratios.

The rollout of this caused some anxiety and unrest among our members, and a few people decided that they wanted to leave over it.  Which, quite frankly, adieu -as a staff AND a member, I'd rather not have plots AND claims all tied up.  We started "unofficially" tracking the percentages in November, and save for a small handful of constant offenders who honestly aren't surprising to pop up on the list (our, "I should post but I'm going to just chat about how I should post instead" people LOL), everyone else is mostly surpassing the activity requirement - which, of course, we want to reward, so we give 1 "point" for every % over 50%.  So, if someone has 10 characters and posts 20x in a month, that's 200% - so they earn 150 points to spend in an activity points shop for things like extra special ability slots, etc.  

spacer.png

ELPIDA — non-canon/oc wizarding world | centralized school | 18+ | jcink premium ]

Exciting update! 

I actually convinced my fellows of the value of activity checks being ableist, and offering exception policies to any self-identifying as incapable due to any mental, physical (or even job) reasons, without any sort of penalty for making them play like 'lesser' characters. 

I thank this thread very much for helping me decide that re-think needed to happen.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

BxChg6.png
HOME | PLOT | RULES | ADVERTISE

What the Future Holds, a newly opened post-Civil War MCU site with a world fighting to find its way, and entirely new mutant canon.

BxUppO.gif

Never 😮   

I just obsessively compulsively keep an eye on user activity dates and when they've not been around for a month I'll send them a private message to ask if they okay, then if I get no response after another month I will send another message to them say I'm sorry we've lost them, and that they're welcome to come back - then I archive their character so they can always return. Easy done. It's the way I've always done it and I don't really have a reason for doing it this way but it works for me. 

I've found that activity checks, like roll calls, just make people turn up to have their name taken and doesn't actually make them come back to post. But hey, each to their own 🙂

• Preach it! 1

First few boards that I either Modded or Adminned had activity checks but yeah. As I grew *coughs*aged*coughs* the demands of reality are more important than logging posting once a week or making sure that people were on for an activity check.

Now, I'm all... post when you can but you will be skipped over so you're not holding others up if you're in a thread with multiple people. I'm way relaxed now.

And I wouldn't say they drive people away or dehumanize people. Sometimes they're needed for canon characters. Just set up a guideline for activity for them and clearly state what is expected.... but I'm rambling a bit. 😉

• Agree 2

#New bar ad.png

My site used to do a monthly (I think it was monthly?) roll-call activity check way back in the day where members would have to post what characters they were using and so on. That eventually fell off in favor of just checking every now and then to see if people were around.

These days we just do a check at the end of the month to see if members have logged in. If they have, we keep their characters active, and if not we just inactivate them.

• Agree 1

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast