Adding a quick start option

Gota

So, this is basically inspired by quick starts of strategy games like Civ where you instantly get thrown into the game. What I was thinking is to have an even shorter quick guide (like, the need to know things in a few lines) and a selection of pre-made characters (avatar, personality, traits etc. although you could tweak things) with scenarios attached to them that a newcomer or even guests could play with to get a feel for everything and then give up that character or keep it if they decide to stay. Like, a brash mercenary who accepted a difficult job, a hunter who fights a creature that does not belong to their forest or someone civil. Some characters could also show up in other scenarios instead of their own. I'd do these in the guest section at first and move them to the RP forums once they are considered "canon".

Would this make it easier for new people to get into it/make them more interested? Or is that a pointless idea?

• I read this! 1

2055148134_EOHbanner.png.530f7a6856f7b2fd0b4861da17014318.png

• Admin

Moved to Roleplay Management as this is more something that is asking for advice than looking for expanding on ideas.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I think it depends a bit on the type of game and culture of your rp. I can see such a thing taking off if you have enthusiastic guests/newbies who want to try things out, or have a quick/relaxed culture in general, but if you attract a more deliberate, planning type of player, the type that makes a ton of details for their character first, then it wouldn't be as likely to thrive.

I personally like rps with a culture open enough that I can just jump in to the forums with one of my many previously made characters, the sort with enough open threads that its easy to find a space to try things out. segregation of quick-start newbie/guest rp and the rest of the forum until the scenario is canonized doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by Kazetatsu
  • I read this! 1

I've kind of done this in the past and I'd probably do it again because it's fun to come up with quick characters.

My idea was simpler, it was just a character name, face, age, occupation and race with a one line description. Everything could be changed.

I've had no success with them but that doesn't mean that they won't ever be.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

A quick start type page or two might be good for a really lore-heavy site. I've been trying to think what I'd need in one for my fantasy site. But, I'd not do characters beyond adding a few ideas to the Characters Wanted section. My page will be the bare minimum OOC and IC knowledge someone needs to get started plus Quick Links section to help them get acclimated to the wiki. Like, if you want to play a Sidhe, go here... - or - If you want some character ideas, go here....

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

A quick start guide of facts to help me figure out what lore I need to read more intensely is good. 
A list of character ideas or concepts also good.

Having a place to test out a character before I play it, is ok but not really necessary. 

Making me play a trial concept outside of the main board, not so great. 

• Like 2

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

I think it's always a good idea to toss suggestions out there for people. What I've done in the past is sort of like what @Kit the Humandescribed, where I would have a thread up and just jot down what I called "adoptable character concepts." They'd be something vague but generally solid enough to get a character idea going, for someone needing inspiration. It's sparked a few characters over the years.

I've not done suggested playbys before but have thought about doing it, and I'd probably do it in a manner similar to the adoptable character concepts thread. 

While I appreciate the idea behind a quick start character, as an avid Civ player, I don't think it would translate over exceedingly well to roleplay. If it is an idea that you still wanted to follow through with, I might suggest adapting it to something more like the threads listed above and then maybe adding another section with some ongoing plots happening that would be easier for new people to join into.

• Agree 2