The "I'm on mobile" player...ever had 'em?

Foxypaws

I've been getting quite a few lately. The players who can't view half the board because they're using a phone. The ones that can't click on the hovers over the map to view descriptions because they're using an iPad. And heaven help me, the ones that claim that they can't edit their post or follow the rules because 'mobile sucks!'

• I read this! 1
  • You're Welcome 1

I am afraid the RP world is trending that way more and more. Those of us that have sites are going to have to take mobile users into account. For those of us too tech challenged to do theme or code that makes a site compliant for mobile users, we're gonna have to look at mobile friendly / responsive platforms. Honestly, that was one of my #1 considerations when I decided to move off the Nova platform for the time being. 

I am currently in a similar situation. I have one user that refuses to log onto anything from home so only has access from work which has severe restrictions on what sites she can and cannot access. This means I get the ongoing complaint about her only being able to write on GDocs or asking me to make it email reply friendly. *sigh* However, we make it work and I have had to settle on trying to accommodate the majority. Our sites are mobile friendly as best as possible (my IPS sites are super mobile friendly).

I tell ya, adapting to this new fangled tech stuff is hard for an old fart like me. ;)

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

5 minutes ago, Zozma said:

I am one of those. Half the time I’m online, I’m viewing from my phone. I’m on my phone right now! 

If you don’t want to hear all those complaints, I suggest making sure your site is more mobile friendly. 

I don't mind having mobile players and I don't really mind their complaints. However, I still expect my mobile players to follow the rules!

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Zozma said:

I am one of those. Half the time I’m online, I’m viewing from my phone. I’m on my phone right now! 

If you don’t want to hear all those complaints, I suggest making sure your site is more mobile friendly. 

I cannot react to this enough. This. All of this. So much this. 

I've not had a user that's had issues following the rules before due to a lack of mobile-friendliness on a site. I've had them tell me it's difficult to do certain things on mobile, and perhaps this is the cause of the rule breaking. It's worth being more open-minded as to the cause of the problem, and maybe trying to use the site on mobile yourself for a while and see what they're dealing with.

• Like 1

I'm often viewing sites on mobile, sometimes even posting or interacting on mobile. In this day and age, at least knowing how a site runs on mobile is almost necessary.

and I'll tell you, even when on a pc, I hate hovers, drop-downs, scripts and other bells and whistles that obscure site info under an animated or clickable interaction 95% of the time. (coders for some reason seem to love using this stuff tho)

There are a few types of sites with premade mobile versions of stuff jcink and proboards I believe, but I tend to find I also miss everything but the text content that way so I often view the desktop versions of sites even on mobile.

As long as any information I need repeatedly is not hidden under any sort of special effects, I can view it once and be done with it, I'm fine, but if its something I might need to see every day, than it definitely bugs me.

I won't complain about posting or any thing tho. usually I can keep what I need on my phone, until I'm ready to post. mobile has some powerful text-editor apps these days, and those who navigate sites on mobile should be able to find at least one program that works for them for ease of writing no problem.

its still never an excuse for rule breaks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have to agree with everyone else. Having a mobile friendly site is vital in the evolving world of RP. It's not a bad thing that our members want to play and check in on the site no matter where they are. That's the sort of enthusiasm I want from my members.

But, it is also not a reason to break rules. I understand that editing posts can be difficult from mobile on some software platforms. If you can't make the site more accessible for them, then you need to be more a tiny bit more forgiving. They may not be able to correct whatever rule breaking they did immediately. 

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

Have you considered asking for a review of your site from a mobile accessibility point of view?

I'm curious too as to what rules your mobile users aren't following and whether or not it's legit.

I'm a mobile user as are my friends and some of my members, I've never had this problem. Even before I switched to IPS.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I agree with Kit, maybe go through and use your site on the mobile app for a few days and see if there are any kinks that need worked out. I had a player from a third world country once and he could ONLY use his mobile so for this reason I don't allow fancy hover stuff. Because honestly...that thrend is fading and as fun and nice as it is, it is a pain on a phone. 

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

I assume most folks are viewing my sites on mobile these days because data and my own experience suggest that’s the truth of it. The demographic that’s likely to land on my current RPG probably views the forum on mobile devices more often than not, and regardless— they almost certainly could use the flexibility of good, responsive design. They’re adults on the go, with jobs and family responsibilities that have them away from their computers most of the time.

Since I’ve been browsing more RPGs recently, I’ve noticed how horribly designed a lot of skins are, so I empathize with players who struggle to engage with RPGs on mobile devices. Hovers everywhere, alignment issues, mandatory templates, etc.— There are a lot of unnecessary nightmares. 

It’s no excuse to disregard rules (even ridiculous ones), but the onus is definitely on administrators to make sure their sites are user-friendly and functional, if not pretty or optimal.

spacer.png

Original fantasy| 18+ | No WC/APP | Jcink

• Admin

35% of our users come from mobile devices. Hell I'm one of them. I normally sit on my phone for an hour or two before I even get up to go to my PC. Most of the time its because there is something in the ACP that just is easier to do from my computer than my phone.

I love taking my phone into the bath too and posting while I'm in there because it's just a relaxing place to do it.

I agree with @Arceus I'd have to know the rules to understand why they are being broken. I mean I'd say if you have mandatory templates, that's probably the root of the problem. Copying code and then trying to tap and delete or type in the middle of it is extremely difficult and can be downright impossible in some cases.

Some people mentioned hovers. I've seen good ones and I've seen bad ones. You can "hover" on mobile but the locations that you need to do that are difficult to spot and poorly made hovers normally have links which make them impossible to use.

Mobile Friendliness is a key to the future for just the Internet in general. Even Google says so (or deems it so I guess).

• Fuck Yeah! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

For those asking, the rules broken have nothing to do with coding or layout. We use a timeline system to date posts. If the user doesn't put a 'date' in their thread title, then I can't add it to the site's timeline. I've had users tell me that they can't edit it because it's too hard to change things on mobile.

Same goes for editing a post written in the wrong tense. (We only use past tense) It'll just have to stay like it is because mobile is tough. I seriously wouldn't mind an occasional slip up of this rule, but others start to copy it thinking it's okay and I end up with a big mess.

• Admin

Yeah I would recommend that you try to use it on mobile and see how hard it is. I've seen editors as being hard but a date doesn't seem to be an issue in most cases. I think @Arceus has a review shop for accessibility.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.