I still don't fully understand plotters

Gota

Okay, so I know that plotters are there to offer character connections and plots with others but, when it comes to how to pitch a character, I still don't get how it's different from just visiting the character's profile. And how exactly do you structure plotters? What are some good examples?

• I read this! 1

2055148134_EOHbanner.png.530f7a6856f7b2fd0b4861da17014318.png

I usually stick to the facts in a bio and get down to the details/current status of plots, potential future plots, and thread fodder in a “plotter”. They serve two different purposes for me.

Since I typically have plotting info sorted by player instead of by character, I’ll often include info about my typical plot interests and how I operate with developing stories at the top before breaking down individual character plot info.

how I specifically break things up into sections and lists depends on what I have to include, but I try to keep it concise so it’s easy to digest and reference along the way.

• Thank you 2

spacer.png

Original fantasy| 18+ | No WC/APP | Jcink

What Dun said. A plotter is a way to offer up specific plot ideas that you have for your character. For example, if I'm looking for my character to meet a bully sometime in the future, I can list that idea in his plotter and someone can come in and offer up their own character to fill that position!

• Thank you 2

I think I understand it a bit better, thanks.

1 minute ago, Foxypaws said:

For example, if I'm looking for my character to meet a bully sometime in the future, I can list that idea in his plotter and someone can come in and offer up their own character to fill that position!

Isn't this almost the same as making a character wanted ad or is there some specific difference?

• I read this! 1

No, you don't make a character ad. You want that existing characters include yours in their plots. 🙂

Examples from my co-administrator's plotters (because I don't have any) - these are the last phrases after describing a bit the characters - so it is each paragraph at the end of one character's description:

Plots with Katya may either be a refreshing bit of kindness in an otherwise harsh port town or the valiant rescue of a local girl in trouble when her husband is not around to safeguard her. Alternately, she’s a good victim for people who like to assert power over others and she’ll bend like a straw in a hurricane if anyone pushes her at all.

Makki is slow to trust and getting beyond her initial dislike and fear will require not only patience, but also a very diplomatic mind. She will put anyone’s limits to the test and her cultural differences make her act in ways that would seem quaint or inappropriate to many people. Getting beyond her fear though will probably help establish a friendship with a group of people that can hide and feed people who need to stay out of sight of the government.  Plot opportunities with Makki could be either strife or mutual respect depending on the encounter. it can also lead to many diplomatic incidents as she does not conform to the mannerisms of the French or the British. If triggering her fear of the foreigners is desired, that is possible too but it will likely cause her to fight. After all, a cat backed into a corner will bite or claw to get out.

Christine loves nature and animals and she often take long walks in parks or forests to observe nature at work and even draw it if possible. She is kind and caring and will gladly help people if it is within her capabilities.  Plots with Christine might include heated debates about the benefits and drawbacks of warfare and battle. It might include a random encounter in a forest where the sight of a wandering noblewoman might be a surprise. It might be an intrigue plot where she is used to get to her husband the admiral.

• Thank you 2

my first page in plotters these days is a lot like the rp partners section of this site. I include my preferences, dos and dont's plotting/rping style and so on. After that I tend to make a small list of the characters and plot ideas I have and try and build on them. I include a super brief bio of the characters in mind, as well as any affiliations or connections which could swing plots around, as my characters are often able to act as plot bridges to other characters or factions. I talk about where each character is in their story now, and offer a few items of things the character could either need to advance, or could help with other characters advancement.

usually however my best plotting comes from chatting. folks talk about characters. I see a need I offer to fill it if I have someone who fits for the need. "need a truck driver to move your furniture? how about your illicit drugs which I know you have cause you put it in your own bio or plotter? well, I have a person who can do that." The plotter is more likely to serve as just a more general reference on most of the places i've used one, and not for active plotting.

• Thank you 2

My character profiles don't generally include things like if I'm interested in a romance for the character, or how likely they are to go to bars, etc. So I mostly use my plotters as a means to go over the "this is where you'll find them for threads, these are the kind of threads they're likely to get into" etc. I consider this different from a wanted page, because my 'wanteds' are usually new characters that don't exist yet and not for general plottings.

i.e.: I write a plotter talking about the character, going into details the profile didn't, and how this character is more likely to be found in a library than a bar. Someone responds to the plotter saying they would love to thread with the character, but their characters don't frequent libraries. We come to a common ground on 'movie theater' and start a thread there. This thread isn't necessarily "plot important" at the start (in that I start the thread with the intention that it will change my character's life), but all threads are "plot" if you put effort into them. 

Edited by Bro
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you 2

I think I get the gist of it now, thanks a lot.

Edited by Gota
  • Love 2