Preferred Media + Playbys

Huskerdust

So how much does your favored media influence your choice in face claims/playbys? Like if you watch a lot of anime, is that why you prefer anime face claims? If you're into popular movies, does this influence the faces you decide to use?

I believe that what we consume in the media definitely has some kind of bearing on the visual reps we decide to use. I was thinking about this because I do tend to use RL Asian faces because that is the media I'm most acquainted with. But I also consume, say, Stranger Things (I use a few faces from it) and other things, etc. Or do you guys purposely choose people you don't know? 

How about you artists? Do you prefer drawing your characters? Let's talk about it!

Reality is an illusion. 

I'm an artist. I absolutely refuse to use anything other than my own drawings for characters these days. I know that excludes me from some sites, but for me the style I draw a character in is part of their look. think how characters meshed in into the spiderverse if you've seen it or it's commercial. some of the spiderpeople were more realistic than others, one was anime-like, one was practically a loony toon, and it worked.

Sometimes media effects what I draw when making or planning a new character, or what style I pick but rarely in an way that's obvious to me. I'm often more influenced by other writers and artists than by media, as I may like a species they chose or an style they use. however, since I draw my characters, I just go with the look that fits what I visualize in my head, and I don't often have to write extra details about their looks unless they change forms or have grown significantly since my last drawing of them.

• Fuck Yeah! 2

I used to exclusively draw my characters but I’m not very talented and I've lost whatever talent I did have. But I love seeing people draw their OCs. 

• Preach it! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I'm probably a weird bean. I do draw. And I draw quite well. Do I draw all my characters all the time? Nope. 1, lazy. 2, lazy. 3, time. 4, did I mention lazy.

I also don't consume a lot of media at all. Mostly the play-bys/claims I do use are because I know nothing about them, or very little. I do know some hella obscure peeps, though, which serves me well. Listen, I used to use a particular male model for a certain character. And then I heard him open his damn mouth one day and wished I hadn't because there's all this pretty and then ALL this STUPID. (Light travels faster than sound yo. Some people appear bright and then open their mouths. Real talk.)

(No I won't tell ya'll who c;)

SO yeah I'll actually actively avoid getting familiar with the actors/models/whatever I use for my characters for that exact reason. I also go digging for people I don't know. No. Stay pretty and that's it.

(Funny story though, what little I know about one of my chars' claims is like Holla that's hella Axel.)

• Love 1
  • LOL 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• Admin

Actually my PBs influence my media.... as backwards as that sounds. Some of my now favorite Playbys came from a wanted ad with a Playby I didn't even know existed until that moment.

I have some longstanding playbys that I use pretty consistently though and I've been using most of them for the character I use them for, for years!! Like... I think one of my oldest characters has been using that playby for 15ish years?

Honestly though I'm sorta influenced by the roleplayers around me. When they post wanted ads from what they think is interesting media to songs or videos from their characters playbys. I'll go looking and find some interesting stuff and inspiration. However I find I stray toward using musicians as they tend to not be used as much as mainstream actors.

Unlike @Arceus I don't tend to use models so I don't often have that problem. I tend to use playbys that have speaking roles or sing or something.

I remember watching some Korean soaps or whatever they are called because of a wanted ad I picked up from @Mistress Of The Obvious.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I cannot draw a straight line so kudos off to those that do. Our site allows media-based Playbys and non-cartoonish original artwork as long as it is credited. I'd flat kill to have some full-on artists at our high fantasy RP.

I do watch TV, movies, and read quite a lot. I do avoid any and all entertainment type talk shows. Like @Arceus, I am sure if I heard some of my playbys speak, I'd be turned off. I just want to borrow the faces and forms that suits my character(s)

And that is how I do it. I usually have a solid image of the guy or gal in my head so I search The Initiative's Playby Directory, the internet, and my memory to find the right face. Honestly, I could not begin to tell who the latest 'hot' commodity from Hollywood is. I do the same thing with book characters - even if the book has been turned into a movie or TV-something - I have a certain image of the characters in my head. 

Conversely, the playbys used by my co-writers often influences how I see and hear their character even if they've described them differently. So, there ya go!

Great topic!

• Fuck Yeah! 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

The media I have seen have influence on my choosing. The celebrities I like, or the celebrities I think appropriate for representing my characters, are the ones chosen. How to choose someone you dont know he exists?

I often choose playbys because they just look like how I imagined that character in my head and then, later on, I end up developing a much stronger real life interest in them and media which involves them which I think then dominates my decisions to choose them again later on, if that even makes any sense. I had this one character for years who I could never decide on a face for and then, somewhere around 2016, I saw a picture of Andy Biersack somewhere and I thought "woah, he looks just like I envisioned this guy originally" and then I became a lot more interested in him as a person and his music and because I enjoyed it so much, that's why I'll now use him as that one guy's face forever. If I hadn't liked his stuff so much, then I would be a lot less likely to keep using him.

There are some occasions, though, where I will definitely pick the face based entirely on media. I see this one model / actor / singer on Instagram, for example, and I go through all their stuff and I think they're cool, then I'll probably check out some of their work and then if I like that I'm likely to choose them as a face. I'm a bit iffy on choosing people if I don't like the stuff they do, normally, even if I like their face. I like Emma Roberts as a face and I think she has some great images and gifs and such to use in reference to RP, but I honestly can't stand most of the roles she plays so I never really think of using her as a result.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

gQuvI9r.png

~ talmeides university of magic ~

plotrequestsdiscordface claimsadvertising ♦

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely tend to use PBs from bands I like for my site, buuuut I also generally use resources and gravitate towards FCs who just look right, and THEN get into their band subsequently - so I think I might be a little skewed. I find FCs for non-asian characters this same way too, especially if I'm looking for something really specific because I haven't been exposed to that in the media I've consumed since (live-action-wise) it's very limited. Then for white FCs I've used on other sites, I do literally have like, 3 I've used and they're all from things I enjoy which is how I know them. (Lee Pace, Mackenzie Davis, and Gillian Anderson, specifically.)

I do think it's interesting though that I do gravitate towards cartoons in the media I consume, but loathe animated FCs??

ac2204b883ba2b2c3b93079f6c58144be0db842f
Be a Part of the Story
Discord
NOW ACCEPTING CHARACTERS FROM NON-ANIMATED FANDOMS

• 2 weeks later...

I have a love/hate relationship with this! IDEALLY, I would love it if I could draw all my characters! But I don't always have the time or patience or even the will to do that. So I settle for pictures, which are very rarely artwork (unless there is some canon artwork for a fandom, like the tarot cards for the Dragon Age series). 

• Agree 1

On 2/15/2019 at 3:02 AM, aalyoshka said:

I often choose playbys because they just look like how I imagined that character in my head and then, later on, I end up developing a much stronger real life interest

This is me. 

It's gotten to the point that I need to gave some affection for the celeb? Or something I like about them. Which is a dumb criteria but there we are.

I want to use artwork! But I can't draw for shit and I'm not wholly comfortable using art for my OCs.

• Cheers 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

^ Same. I feel weird using art nowadays. I didn't used to but in this world with people stealing artwork and calling it their own and all that, I just feel weird doing it. 

And as per my own habit of using PBs from the media I consume, I've been watching (and rewatching and rewatching it again) the Umbrella Academy series so I ended up making Robert Sheehan characters on both my sites. 

I definitely tend toward using PBs from media I consume. 

• Like 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I only use real life playbys. I can't draw worth shit to do my own, it can be really hard to track down artists and/or get their permission, and art theft seems pretty rampant which just turns me off from it as a whole. And honestly I've never seen art that would represent my OCs better than a real life playby. Unless I was going to commission art, I guess, but I don't have that kind of money. And I don't really know any artists. Like, I wouldn't be comfortable sending money to someone I was strangers with unless they'd finished first and that'd be kind of unfair to ask of the artist, I think. 

Apart from canon sites, I don't have a consistent pattern of choosing playbys because I saw them in a movie. Usually I'll go hunting for a certain look instead - one of my last characters, the appearance I had in mind was a forty year old male with medium long brown hair. So I just went and hunted through directories and asked for suggestions until I found something I liked. That's how just about all of my characters are made. Also I have the memory of a goldfish. I can watch a movie, think of a character that looks just like the main in the movie a few days later, and not think once about using that actor as a playby

I definitely end up using playbys I've seen in movies or shows sometimes. But that's because they look more like the character in my head than other choices, or I just like the look of the actor in general compared to ones that look similar. And 99% of the time, there's nothing in common with the playby and whatever character I've seen them as. For example, I use Harry Shum Jr, who I've seen as Magnus Bane in Shadowhunters, as a human who doesn't like the supernatural world and is rather quiet and reserved. Not much like a flamboyant warlock. 

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one character I made in the last year where I chose the playby because I'd seen them. I first considered him because he had the look I was going for, along with a few others, and that had nothing to do with my familiarity. But I chose him because he had been in a show from the same time period and had a couple of key personality traits in common with my character, which had everything to do with my being familiar with him. Though I did start an app with Michael B Jordan as a playby after seeing Black Panther but ended up not finishing it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, also a RL Playby, and definitely influenced by shows and TVs I like to slant towards certain people or types more frequently. A lot of my charries are young action types, and I'll regularly use a character from shows from other canons I'm not currently playing in to fill in details (face, internal life) for a character I'm adapting.

Of course, I also suck at OCs, so, yeah.

E5zAKhe.gif

I think Playby's being mandatory is a reason I don't often join sites that one must have them on and yet another reason I stick to animals. Animanga claims are fine, but I'm not usually interested in the roleplays they're used in even if I like the anime or manga its based on.

If I do use any playby's I go for what I think is more obscure (even though sometimes I find out they weren't that obscure)
If I were an artist I'd love to have only my character's drawings... and seeing as I'm poor I can't really purchase a commission - not that I never have, but I need money for more important things that keep me alive.

“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.” - Dr. Seuss