Things the Coder Says

Arceus

(Because sometimes these are funny.)

CEO of Salt (This is me)
Gaia.
Gaia.
The fuck even is your deal.
(When I first got re-started on Alpha 4, it would absolutely not let me load the CSS via $settings->base_url, I had to do the CSS link with a relative path. Well that doesn't work past the first level of URL. So I switched it back to using $settings->base_url. Magically, inexplicably, it fucking works now.)

Fire Lady of Tangents (This is @Yume)
... wow

CEO of Salt
(I swear to god this is like, it's not hard? It's not being an absolute bitch? It just... has weird little tics for unknown reasons, that go away shortly after for equally unknown reasons.)
Idk how this bodes for production build, like jeez.
If it makes a habit of just being weird, I'm like.
Gaia wut u doin. Gaia why.
(Pls only do this to me. I can fiddle until some unknown itch has been scratched in your back-end but you'll absolutely stump anyone else.)
This is sort of amusing because tbh, and this may sound odd, but every Alpha of Gaia so far has had a different "personality."

Fire Lady of Tangents
I dont entirely grasp how a bit of code can have personality (much less different ones for the same project???) but stranger things have happened

CEO of Salt
It all kinda comes together a bit differently. It's kinda hard to explain, but code can be really fucking bitchy, like everything breaks all the damn time, it can go super smooth, it can have weird mishaps that don't make sense and somehow fix themselves... yeah.
... but tbh Alpha 3 was such an asshole I'm sorta glad 4 isn't as much of one.
Also, I'm not smart and I tried running DB inserts and updates through db_query(), and it was like "Um. No." and I was like o. So, I achieved what I wanted with the database. Selects go through db_query just fine, no limiters on what it does, but inserts and updates and deletes HAVE to run through the db_insert, db_update, and db_delete functions or PDO flat won't do it. All three of which set up the basic query structure for you. So there's no, like, fucking anything up.
SO I should be able to grab all the forum shit with one query run.
Instead of, like, 30.
(Joking it was about 4.)

---

CEO of Salt
So this editor theme Im using comes in multicolour
And ofc, Ian Demanded it be on hot pink
Im like you're not even the coder what you doin

---
CEO of Salt
So basically I had to fucking side-step my fucking input validation.
Because there was something in it that was incorrectly failing and I couldn't figure out why and doing captchas every minute started pissing me off.
But I had no idea what because whatever tf it was, was outputting a blank error.
(Which tells me it wasn't a legit error, because the system has language strings for them all and if I input form shit in a manner I knew would fail, it failed and output the right message.)
So I just filtered out blank ones and made it go through anyway.
(I checked ALL the $_POST data. Nothing should've been failing.)
(Session keys matched, everything was the right number of chars, required shit was there, this matched that, reCAPTCHA wasn't failing, etc etc.)
(I got annoyed fussing with it and forced it to output what reCAPTCHA was returning and it was never failing in the first place.)

Fire Lady of Tangents
wow

CEO of Salt
So yeah, that's my code-life atm.

Fire Lady of Tangents
a blank error
... like what even is the point of that

CEO of Salt
Hoping when I get to other user-input stuff it'll TELL ME wtf is actually wrong so I can fix it instead of being forced to work around it.
And it's not a database error! Both test user's registrations went through just fine and they both logged in no problem.
SO. Yeah idk wtf that was.
Alpha 4 being quirky again I guess.

• Love 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

CEO of Salt
What's even fuckING BETTER
IT'S NOT OUTPUTTING ANY OTHER ERRORS
I.AM.BLIND.RIGHT.NOW.JUST.FUCKING.WITH.IT.UNTIL.IT.WORKS.

Fire Lady of Tangents
gaia no

CEO of Salt
(Hint: that's not working out.)

---

CEO of Salt
WHAT
EVEN
JUST HAPPENED

Fire Lady of Tangents
?

CEO of Salt
Lets play a fucking game...
... spot the difference
... ... I see
Well now I know what I did.
(Got Pissed, copy-pasted Alpha 4's database.php over, screencapped both at the top and Stared at it.)
(Wanna know what it was?)
(I forgot. A fucking. !)
JUST ONE MISSING ! AND I IMPLODED THE ENTIRE THING, no shit.

Fire Lady of Tangents
...fucking a
thats

CEO of Salt
No wonder I couldn't find it easily
THAT solved
YES Erebos I'll pet you now

---

CEO of Salt
In other news! I finished the registration page again, registered a test account and it went through immediately, logged it in, and redirected to the index.
Poof, magic.
WHY COULDN'T ALPHA 4 DO THAT.
I didn't even rewrite it! I copied the same structure and back-end coding and did it the same fucking way and it just worked this time.
Probably forgot a stupid ! somewhere...

---

CEO of Salt
NUMBERS ARE FUCKING STUPID
HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA TELL ME 1 IS NOT EXACTLY 1????

---

CEO of Salt
Metis what are you doing?
Metis: What you said to.
Yes but what's that mean?
Metis: What you said to. ... you messed up your syntax btw.
... where.
Metis: There.

• Love 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)