Ad Graphics

Byrn

What is your ideal ad? My focus is almost always on tumblr when browsing literal ads as well as posting them. I would also like a peek at some graphics I've made, I have several of the similar themes but only gonna share two.

So, with that in mind what sort of graphics catch your attention? How much is too much? I would imagine keeping things short and sweet would be key because there is a limited amount of time to grab someone while also wanting to cover key information. At what point do graphics become a hindrance or distraction in this area?

What size is best for tumblr? I always go with 1080px by 1080px but that is based off a guess I have no real knowledge on what proportions are best.

And lastly, would you say the two images attached meet any of the things you look for? Is there information left out that you would like to see? Anything glaring or hard to read?

notmetropolis.thumb.jpg.34d57ef0cae6c9e07475c6ce3d0d4c0e.jpg               notbatman.thumb.jpg.df8209a76f1e42458c06eb604d1b0433.jpg

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

An ideal ad? Oh god. 

Honestly... captivating aesthetics and modern-based graphics are usually what catch my attention. I do not mean minimalism by this though (as a graphic designer, minimalism is slightly frustrating to me). 

- Information: Make it short! I don't want to see a full-on paragraph in a graphic. Give me the little details that keep my interest peaked.

- Logo / Text Fonts: Original/rarely used logos and fonts are key. While I do enjoy the classic Arial/Times New Roman/Georgia occasionally, it's something that doesn't necessarily pop out. If you really want to get your message out there, something has to pop out. 

- Quality: Please... please... please.... keep the quality high. 

Dimensions: Now, just like with all of this, this is my personal opinion. I prefer advertisements that are longer in width than in height. It makes it easier to see as a whole and is easier to read. It's less of a pamphlet tbh.

- Images: Use free-to-use stock! Make sure it can be used commercially if you plan to go forward into other aspects.

I'll post more later if I can think of anything else....

• Love 1

owner of some website ❤️

@StarredSkies

First of all, ohmygoshEdNygma. 

Second, thank you so much for the input!  I might go back and sweak these a bit. You’ve made good points and really I am here because I am not entirely sold on what I’ve come up with. I’ll keep the content and arrange it a little differently.

Since i only post literal ads on social media type platforms I try to consider that a wide number of those who would see it, would be on their phones. The landscape dimensions would fit best for this?

All images came from unsplash.com so they are safe stock photos. 😁

Thank you so much for the input.

You know it. ;))) Gotham fan from the start!

Ah very true! Width does definitely matter when it comes to mobile... If you want to use the ones above, go with what you have instead of what I suggested! If you plan on doing something more computer/forum ad based, the wider width is easier.

Thank gosh! Unsplash is my favorite.

No problem dude ❤️

owner of some website ❤️

❤️X a million.  EASILY my favorite character in Gotham. Penguin is a close second though!

I can go with the square or taller dimensions! I haven’t advertised on an ad forum in years so I may not benefit from the landscape afterall for phone scrollers. 

Unsplash is seriously a gem! I was all too happy to have found the Batman symbol on there! Yay for fans!

Another graphics designer here 😄

High-quality photos with a theme that matches your board. I'm a firm believer that if the graphic itself is "busy" and has a lot of design in it to make the font choice simple and vice versa.

Text/Logo has to be right to the point, keep it simple. Site name and tagline. Again, the graphics aspect should tell me if the sites a superhero, harry potter, steampunk ect.. type of board.

I've played around with size a lot and I've settled on 500x600 for my ad. It looks good on Tumblr and plays nicely on forums too.

Out of the two ads you posted I like the second one better. I'm not a fan of all the text but I do love the name, tag and Batman throwing star, they caught my attention and gave me enough to want to click.

• Love 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

Ads that catch my attention? 

Is the image clear? Clean? No artifacts or stretching or weird jagginess? Do the colors work? Contrasting colors or colors that compliment each other (points up at Wicked's signature) are a great eye catcher. 

Clear, readable fonts. I love me some swirly hand writing, but your words on an ad or for one should be scanned easily and quickly. Tiny fonts are hard to get right, stick with a tiny font that is all uppercase for easier reading. 

I always suggest doing a very quick google search for social media image proportions and how they display, otherwise a really great image could turn into a mess real quick. Off the top of my head, I believe tumblr resizes your imaged to 500px by 750px and the max size you can go is 1280x1920. If you're trying for an animated ad, it has to be 500px or less and under 1 MB in size. 

I tend to lean toward something simple and memorable. That's a personal taste, however. 

If you are writing a text blurb with your image ad, think about this: what is it about a blurb on the back of a novel that makes you pick it up? Condense. Keep it simple and short. You could literally put a tag line up and links, or around 3 short paragraphs. What's the site name, what's the setting, what kind of play style, what age group, and then some sort of hook. 

• Love 1

Finally had a second to hop on and thank you both from your experienced advice! Everything said has been very helpful!

• Cheers 1