MyBB vs SMF? (WANTING 2024 OPINIONS)

Orion

As always, your help and insight is appreciated, @isoldehn!

Yikes. Modifications that don't uninstall properly irk me. That's a huge turn off for me, especially since it'll mess up my own coding. What a pain... Thank you for that information, I will gladly step away from it and instead go towards your suggestion. It removes a lot of additional steps like you said.

• Love 1

owner of some website ❤️

• 4 years later...

im making the switch rn and have enjoyed my bbs admin access a lot more!

<33

• 1 month later...

Good to hear from someone recent! 

Ironically, after all these years, we’re thinking of switching to MyBB. We have been on SMF this entire time, but seeing that a lot of modifications are updated for 2.1 SMF, we’re thinking on sliding on over.

The one thing we’re having issues with is transferring BBCode posts that use ‘BBCode with Style,’ but the majority of it has been sorted out through conversions. It’s mainly tables that are the kicker. (If you have advice on this, let me know. Not a lot of SMF sites use that modification per my knowledge.)

What have been the benefits/downsides of switching for you guys? @south

owner of some website ❤️

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2023 at 8:39 PM, Orion said:

The one thing we’re having issues with is transferring BBCode posts that use ‘BBCode with Style,’ but the majority of it has been sorted out through conversions. It’s mainly tables that are the kicker. (If you have advice on this, let me know. Not a lot of SMF sites use that modification per my knowledge.)

I think I actually just found south's post on this over at MyBB. I gave the MyCode I use for this here but I will fair warn that plain MyCode won't allow stacking of these so something like YourCode would be required. As a work around I created div2, div3 and so on with the same code so users could stack but as far as I'm aware YourCode allows nesting.

• Like 1

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

• 3 months later...

Thank you all! This great to hear.

For those who commented in years previous, do you feel the same as you did before? I was looking to upgrade to SMF 2.1, but there has been a major problem with the inability to upgrade modifications, especially ones key to our community. That said, what does everyone think?

owner of some website ❤️

• Orion changed the title to MyBB vs SMF? (WANTING 2024 OPINIONS)

Back here again to say I'll only ever use MyBB lol.

They are also steadily on board to getting everything PHP 8.0 compatible! Some plugins are now having issues so authors will need to fix them, if they don't you can always ask for assistance on the support forums over at MyBB for someone to help you fix whats broken in a plugin. I've always had tremendous luck getting help over there.

Additionally I have MyRPG set up, it looks dead but I promise we're all around lol. Mostly in Discord but threads posted to the forum do get pushed to Discord so folks will see and someone can swoop in to assist. MyRPG is geared towards the use of MyBB software for Forum RP's so if you're looking for specific help/things RP related that most other folks have no idea what you're talking about we got you!

• Like 1

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

Thank you for your insight! ❤️

owner of some website ❤️

Wow. Been a while since I've dropped by The Initiative

Anyway, SP was hosted on SMF waaaay back in 2010 through 2013, I think? It was good, it did what I wanted, but honestly, the amount of times I break shit and SMF is all interconnected, so break one thing and the whole site goes DED. MyBB doesn't do that \o/ break the front end, and the Admin panel still works and I can fix it without having to dig into files or ask for help from the hosting service lmao.

But we've been on MyBB for the past ten years, and its been great 😄 I love it! I'm no ones coder, but I can hack my way through basic crap, and I'm pretty proud of both my sites and the work I've done on them.

Also, if you go with MyBB, get the plugins 'xThreads' and 'Template Conditionals' because between the two, you can do pretty much anything to your site. Its beyond awesome! Takes some dedication to learn, but there is tons of help available 😄 @c.widow's site is a beyond awesome example of the things that can be done with the two plugins 😄

• Like 1

HaLp2lk.png
October-2017.png 

I see! I will have to check that out. Thank you so much. :^)

owner of some website ❤️