Handling problems with member with mental illness?

Anonymous

So I've run into a situation I'm not 100% sure how to handle concerning a member. They rarely talk in the Discord, and when they do, they're an annoyance, to put it bluntly. They always say something about their insecurities, how they feel nobody likes them, how they don't belong on the site, how they feel they're a bad writer, and a dozen other related things. My members and I have tried redirecting conversations and ignoring their remarks. I eventually sent them a reminder that our Discord rules asked people not to bring up heavy or sensitive subjects in chat. 

Instead of apologising or even acknowledging that, the person started complaining at length in the server about their mental illnesses. They went on and on about how they know everyone is annoyed with them but they can't stop behaving the way they do. Basically saying that they're a victim who can't change their ways and they hate themselves for it. Since all their messages in the week since they joined just sounded like this person fishing for sympathy or compliments, they pretty much went ignored by the other people who were in the Discord at the time. 

They then posted a huge thing about how they were a burden and was going to leave so they weren't a hassle in our lives any more. But after they left, they then rejoined after a few hours, taking up a few of their old characters, and were basically pretty quiet and normal for another couple weeks. In the week and a half since then, they've fallen back into their woe is me routine. I've ended up officially warning them because they keep pushing or breaking the rule mentioned above. They went on another rant like the ones before but didn't give a word of apology. 

I want to be sympathetic and accommodating to this person, but I feel like addressing the situation further is going to get sticky since they keep tying their behaviour to their mental illness. They keep dragging the mood down and pissing off the other members. Every time I've told them their behaviour is inappropriate, they get wildly defensive and will talk of nothing but how their mental illness controls their behaviour. They've never apologised or changed. It's time for them to go but I don't know how to tell them that without them taking it the wrong way. Advice? 

Anonymous poster hash: 49e0e...370

If he is good at writing the story, but an annoyance in Discord, his Discord access should be restricted, together with a PM explaining why it had happened (because he had been warned repeatedly and he didn't stop). 

• Agree 1

I agree with what's already said. I too, am on more than one spectrum or scale and somehow that never made me feel like people should tread oh-so-carefully around me, or that I should receive special treatment.

You have rules, you must adhere to those rules, for all members equally.

Yes, life isn't black and white and what is correct in one situation isn't correct in the other. However, you cannot have your site and server suffer because of one person. As somebody pointed out; the needs of the many.

Also, there isn't a good way to do this. Yes, this person is - likely - going to blame and try and guilt-trip you... but that's not on you, either. I think you've given them ample chance by now. The best advice I can offer for that part, is to have kept logs of what happened and what you guys offered, what you've warned them about and why they're now suffering this consequence.

To me this person sounds like an attention-seeker.

If that's the case, honestly, there's no winning whatever you do and you'll be better off asking them to leave (and if that doesn't work, ban them) and deal with momentary drama and fuss that'll undoubtedly erupts from that. Though, I'd personally at least mute them already in Discord right before messaging them, so my members can't get in the line of fire, so to speak.

• Agree 1

Always believe in yourself and keep going. You don't have to have the most talent in the world. You don't have to be the smartest person in the world. If you persist and you persist and you persist, you will be successful.

Dean Cain

IjdT9HX.png
1x1 Partner Searches | Group Searches

Yikes.  Having had several members with mental illnesses that have manifested into suicidal tirades, leaving/rejoining, attention-seeking behavior come and go - nip it in the bud, and fast.  We've used to have a rants & raves channel for people to vent in our Discord - baaaaad idea and extremely misused - it was literally so bad in our server where members would post suicide notes that prompted the staff to go on a legitimate search to call their local law enforcement to send help for wellness checks.

As you can imagine, repeat patterns of this behavior triggered several of our sufferers and even our more high-functioning mentally ill members, including myself, into downward spirals.  Especially if you suffer from something yourself, you generally want to sympathize and come from a place of understanding - but as another member pointed out, the needs of many outweigh the needs of one.  This is extremely toxic behavior and chances are will bring down your community as a whole.

I would kindly - but firmly - let them know that you or your server/site as a whole is not a substitute for mental health professionals or treatment.  Let them know that others do or may be struggling with their own insecurities and/or illnesses, and that such outward behavior is making others uncomfortable, and that if it does not stop, that they will lose chatting access.  There's a great chance that they will not care, and will victimize themselves - don't budge.  Sometimes, the best thing that you can do for a friend (or member) is to point out their toxicity instead of enabling it, especially when this sort of situation can rapidly deteriorate an entire community.

Depending on your relationship with them, if you'd like to go a step further and have some time and energy on your hands, you can help work with them to find a local therapist in their area - free clinics, doctors that accept their insurance - or provide them with suicide hotlines or otherwise help within their jurisdiction.  Based on the sort of behavior that you've described, though, there's a chance that they are looking for attention more than actual help, which is something you can't force - but sadly, will also likely not win.

• Agree 1

spacer.png

ELPIDA — non-canon/oc wizarding world | centralized school | 18+ | jcink premium ]

Fact of the matter is: this person needs help which you cannot and are not obliged to give. Even if you are a qualified therapist, this is still your hobby and your free time. The RP is not a group therapy session. If you want to be nice, put your foot down and tell them exactly that.

It sounds harsh. It is harsh and it might make you feel like a bad person for not helping someone who clearly needs it. But you are not a bad person, and sometimes the hard truth is what needs to be said. If you wanted, you could include some resources for them to pursue at their leisure, such as 7cups.com, which has people who will just listen to you talk about your issues, and even therapy with actual therapists, online, at a much cheaper rate than you'd get going to a physical therapists's office. And I said this is the nice option, because it is. It's harder for you to deal with, and the member probably isn't going to like or appreciate it, and they may take you up on exactly none of these suggestions. But this way forces them to see that the way they are behaving is a problem in a way which simply banning them would not.

But you are also not obligated to be nice to someone who isn't being nice back. You could just ban them and be done with it.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

What @Josie said. We all want to be nice, especially when we know what it's like to deal with mental health issues. But for a person who does not want help, but attention, it only feeds into their need for it. You're basically giving them what they want and taking part of the responsibility off their hands. 

So, while yes, it would be nice of you to do it, you're not under an obligation to provide this kind of help if you feel it will put a burden on you. Assuming this person is an adult, and since they have internet access, they can look up resources themselves if they really want them. You can lead them to water, but you can't force them to drink, and they might see it as a way of becoming dependent on you, which can be draining. Been there, done that, never again.

• Agree 1

Shady McShaderson

• 1 month later...

I've banned members for the behavior you describe here - dumping their baggage onto my community. It's one thing to confide in the people you trust. It's another to drop those comments into a public channel. It makes everyone uncomfortable and brings up everyone's personal struggles. That behavior is good for no one, and blaming a mental illness is no excuse. I've successfully written with a variety rpers who are autistic, have depression or anxiety psychosis or any number of neuro-atypical diagnoses and they're amazing writing partners/friends. And they have never once used them to excuse their bad behavior. That member knows what they're doing not only breaks the rules, but makes everyone else feel awkward. They're looking for attention and trying to make you feel sorry for them. They're playing the victim card.

It's not your role to be sympathetic. Your role is to protect your community and its well-being. Sometimes, that means being firm with a special snowflake

• Agree 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Your community is not one of trained therapists. It's one of writers. It can be hard not to take other people's troubles on, and hard to take action for something they ostensibly can't help, but it's not sustainable long-term.  Perhaps something to the effect of, we really enjoy writing with you, and feel for what you go through, but we are only human and we can't be everything for you. We would love to have you stick around and get to know you better, but you need to {insert requests here}.

As someone with mental illness, it makes me HELLA cranky when someone uses it as an excuse for being obnoxious

Edited by clipsed
  • Agree 4

IKiE2z.png