Stance on transgender animals gaining hate

Anonymous

I would first like to start out by saying that I am in no way 'transphobic.' Truly I am not.

I run a few animal roleplays. Dogs, cats, wolves, etc. In this one particular new roleplay, the animals are supposed to be very animalistic. We encourage our players to think and play more like an animal than a human. In that way, the animals make determinations of someone very strongly on smell rather than sight. If a character smells a biologically female character some distance away, they will know that she is biologically female. This, among other things, began to create (many) problems OOC because some players with transgender characters were getting upset that their characters weren't being determined correctly in character. Confusion was rampant, and quite honestly it was very awkward to handle in character and out. We lost players due to arguments.

We decided to ask all  players to refrain from creating transgendered animal characters to avoid confusion using 'realistic' senses such as smell. This rule has been in place since this particular site started. If you read the rules you know that the rule is there. And yet...one of my players joined, played for a bit, and then told one of my affiliates that we are discriminatory and transphobic, at which point we received a nasty public letter and were removed from the affiliates. The player joined their side and told us we were wrong and left us.

I don't think I'm being discriminatory. In truth, lacking the rule just created more confusion and contention than pleasantries. My players all seem to know this rule and be accepting of it, at least understanding the reason behind the transgender character ban. And yet...I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I didn't ban it because I don't 'like' transgenders. I banned it because it was causing endless fights. I would have done it with a number of things had they caused the same issue. (Heck, we put a temporary filter block on the word 'yeet' once when kids wouldn't stop spamming it!)

The last thing I want to do is drive folks away. I don't know. What's your stance on realistic animals, transgenderism, and the struggles that come along with it?

Anonymous poster hash: bd282...054

• I read this! 1

Honestly, I consider the whole thing a tad silly in regards too it being considered discriminatory. That's hogwash if you wanted my honest opinion. A role play's setting sporting homophobic themes (although I wouldn't consider a realistic approach to wolves as being homophobic) shouldn't necessarily reflect on the player community. Some settings are canon.  Just have to eyeball the site a little more to determine if that is a red flag and if having that sort of theme on an rp site simply milks the corroded ideals of the players. If you find yourself not caring for a setting then its a case of the RP just not being for you; it is not at all a time to grab a pitchfork and burn down someone's site. 

I will say, represent your idea of realistic the best you can, and stick to it. The whole idea of realism in regards to transgender can be speculative without studies. Hermaphrodites are possible so I would want to know how they would socially survive. Wolves I would recon have a very strong survival instinct so I am not entirely sure, beyond hormone issues, if they would cognitively have that sort of self-awareness or crisis. There are very critical gender roles in a wolf pack, and even a hermaphrodite wolf might run the risk of simply not surviving or being accepted in a pack in terms of smelling like one gender and acting like another. 

Be very clear in your rules concerning how important it is to stick to realism and address the issue specifically to either head it off, or serve as a reference for those who miss it. 

Edited by Tartle
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

I've had rules against trans animal characters on my sites before and I've had people leave about it too. I've also seen rules against trans human characters if the fictional world doesn't fit it right or have enough room to handle it properly and with the care it deserves. I've also had people leave because we allow trans characters at all and in their opinion they wouldn't fit into the society of what we're all writing. Sometimes people just don't like whatever rule is going on so they decide to throw a fit and take some people down with them.

I don't think it is discriminatory to have a type of lore that doesn't take into consideration our real-world societal baggage, particularly in a non-human fantasy setting. The rule obviously helps the game run smoother and it is clear that you're avoiding anthropomorphism in your game by having the animals react as animals would and this type of restriction helps cater to that setting. I'm certain there are other games that might fit that person a little better without them having to throw stones at you (apparently that lost affiliate. Good riddance, you didn't need either of them anyway).

Don't let this one instance cause you to back down on what you know has been a good thing for your game. 

• I read this! 1
  • Preach it! 3

That just seems like an unecessary rule to me. In real life, animals are gonna do what they do regardless of how we perceive them and a trans dog would be a problem/adventure for your players to navigate. They can post about it, write about it, build up your world along with you.

Considering I live on a farm and have seen all manner of sex/gender behavior from animals (including a male cat who couples with a rabbit...who is twice his size and she lets him even though she could literally kick the snot out of him, go figure), I don’t think any of us can say without a doubt that an animal can’t be trans in real life. I’ve seen two male cats who only coupled with each other even when female cats in heat were present, rabbits who had no interest in the opposite sex (had two bucks who would completely ignored a doe and instantly go at it with each other when put back together) rabbits who had interest in both, rats who coupled with each sex, goats who were literally both sexes and acted out both sexes, and, of course, animals only interested in the opposite sex. I mean, prairie dogs have an actual vocal language with verbs and nouns and sentences. They even name each other and individual predators. Studies are now looking to prove that rats have a language as well. Plus, you’re still talking about animals played by humans. It’s never going to be completely “realistic.”

so if you dont want trans animals, by all means, don’t allow them, but keep in mind it can absolutely be seen as offensive and it’s not actually realistic because animals aren’t constrained by the same “gender roles” we humans tend to block ourselves into.

Edited by Brie
  • Agree 2
  • Love 1