The Celebrity Play-By Conundrum

Dragon

On our forum we do use celebs PB/FC's for the characters, though I've never seen this come up in all my years of writing. It's a great question though. For me, it's simply to give a general idea of what the character looks like, but I'd go with the "I have that kind of face" answer for the fun of it. The doppelganger effect basically. It'd be too much fun not to. We do have made up celebs as well, but faced by another celeb, is that inception? Anyway I think one day it would be fun to have one of my FC's meet the actual person behind the face. That would be hilarious. All the same though in San Francisco it isn't likely, but hey accidents happen?

spacer.pngDecadence

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a rather interesting thought. I run a Supernatural Genre RP site and as you would expect, we have tons of celebrity FCs. I think we just kind of write it off as "Oh you look like the guy in this show" Or we just totally ignore it. I mean, in the real world, I can't tell you how many times I've mistaken a stranger for someone I might know. I my self have been stopped before because I looked like someone a person knew. Most of the time, my FCs I pick out, I usually change them a little bit in the my head. I feel like there is no 'wrong way' to look at this topic. I think it just depends on the person. 

• Agree 2

spacer.png

Will you be another face in the night? 

18+ | 333 Rating | No Word Count | No Activity Check | Diverse Species 

Home | Plot | Rules | Species | Claims | Site Trailer

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of celebrity faceclaims, to be perfectly honest. I'll immediately have an image of the character as one of the roles of celebrities that I created myself, which might be completely different from what the player was going for.

bram stokers dracula GIF

I think, like a previous person admitted, I usually stick to typecasting my celebrity face claims to the roles they've played in shows just so that the suspension of disbelieve is already built-in and easy. This is easy to maintain if the actor is varied in the roles that they play (ie. Hugh Jackman with Wolverine, Greatest Showman, Les Mis, etc). 

For the part about how it's handled in the game, I tend to lean between "you look a little like xyz actor, you should cosplay them" and "actors look like different people/faceless" just because it's really difficult to play a modern "real life" setting without referencing movies/books/etc. 

addds.gif.2e6b2697e05de6bbe39af8e65a3e5840.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Operations Mod

I usually like to make use of the opportunity to inject humor into things. So I love to make references about Character looking like whatever celebrity - maybe compare something the actual Character is doing to something the celebrity has done in another movie. 

And every now and then I just outright drag the film into canon

One of my characters is a Jeffrey Dean Morgan play-by, Red. His son, Seth, loves the absolute hell out of crappy monster/horror/scifi films. 

JDM acted in a movie called Dead and Breakfast. Red's already a musician, so I wove it in that he acted in the movie while his musical career was on the down-slide, and he was getting a little desperate for work. It's made for some thoroughly amusing scenes since his son found the movie. 

I'm probably just gonna keep that schtick going, and figure out some way to incorporate Rampage into the mix as well. 

@Morriganalso turned me onto the idea of using costumes for Halloween and the like to have a little fun. So Red's been dressed up as Negan on a few occasions. Which is even more amusing given how much this particular character hates costuming - things you do to keep your wife happy, right? 

• Fuck Yeah! 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I picked a face for an Agent Smith-type after hours of trying to track down "The Least Interesting Man In The World". After picking him, and playing him for a bit, I found out that the guy was in EVERYTHING. Things I'd watched or played a thousand times in my life, and I never noticed. So now it is a thing in various threads where his partner will make a comment about a show that the face claim is in and say "that looks like you" only for my character to shrug and say that he looks like a lot of people. 

Edited by Bro
  • LOL 4

• Admin
57 minutes ago, Dragon said:

things you do to keep your wife happy, right? 

DAMN STRAIGHT you keep your wife happy. Plus its some cute fun especially at costume/Halloween parties and its free reference photos.

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.