Strange Site Rule

Anonymous

I'd nope out. I get that the admins have probably had bad experiences, but this is the same red flag as seeing a ruleset that's riddled with rules for very specific offenses and lines like 'or we'll ban the heck out of you. seriously'. It reeks of either admins causing or attracting their own drama, and maybe not taking care of it once its there.

It's nice for potential members to get a heads up that the site is a bad idea, though.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 3

Yea I'd give that a hard pass. 

I can't speak for whatever experiences the staff of that site may have had in the past, and they may be the friendliest bunch around once you get past that first blush, but that doesn't seem particularly welcoming.

Besides, who wants to go through all that hassle to do something that's supposed to be a hobby?

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast

I like being able to see the posts of the people that I hope to write with someday. 

I'd also give it a pass. I don't mind coming into a discord if I am going to get to know people but that rubs me the wrong way too, OP. 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

I'm way too shy for that. I'd never go through with it. 

• I read this! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

Hard pass for me too. That's when I'd look up at the X in the top right of the screen and say, "Hello old friend." *clicks* 

• I read this! 1
  • LOL 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

If it weirds you out, then don't go through with it. 

From my perspective though, this doesn't seem that strange to me. All most applications are are basically a kind of interview of you and what you want to bring to the site- so to me this just seems like a different way of accomplishing that and the admins are perfectly allowed to run their site that way if that's how they're most comfortable doing it.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 2

Sounds like someone got burnt and is going to some extremes in effort to prevent that again. Not sure if this method prevents or invites drama, but it's their site and their rules.

If everything else seemed tempting, or I had a friend there - eh, might pop in to see if they're less high-strung than they sound. You're evaluating them at the same time they're evaluating you, after all.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

That doesn't work for me, just because the only Discords I'm involved in are my own communities and I have no plans of changing that.

But I don't think it's weird or unreasonable.

For some games, it's all about character compatibility, and that's what the app is all about. They want to make sure the character is going to fit the world and that is their top priority.

For other communities, the priority is more focused on player compatibility and how the player jives with the community.

I think both are fine, just different preferences and different priorities. I've seen plenty of other games that had player applications and player vetting systems, so it's really not weird to me at all. There's many communities online that operate that way for their own reasons. If it's a dealbreaker for some people, congrats, you're not the target audience, and the system is still serving its purpose.

Edited by Viscount Rhi-Rhi
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

It’s not an entirely wacky idea to screen folks via chat, but it seems to be presented in an odd way. I’m understanding that the group is small and wanting to interview folks to make sure they’re a good fit before inviting them to join. That’s not the norm, but it’s totally okay and understandable. The wacky part seems to be that it’s unclear what they’re looking for and what their process is. Also: The idea that chatting with someone briefly would somehow avoid people not getting along is bizarre.

I don’t totally get why they’d do this instead of just having a private RPG (invite-only) or deciding to keep it entirely open, but whatever works! I’d just steer clear. I don’t have any interest in jumping through those social hoops for a random game/group in which I have no investment.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 3
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

spacer.png

Original fantasy| 18+ | No WC/APP | Jcink

Lots of replies here already but I'd like to give a little bit of my insight on this from my point of view because why not.

First off, hard nope and extreme pass.

I come online to write in my spare time, which is often barely enough time to have a 24 hour interview on why I would be okay to write or participate in an online forum role play. That is a very weird requirement of new members.

I can guarantee that you could find a similar site that peaks your interest that does not have such ridiculous management going on.

HOWEVER, there is probably a reason why the administration team of the site has made becoming a member so ridiculously hard. Perhaps there is bad blood in the past of newcomers, maybe they just want to make sure you are serious about joining before wasting their time or maybe there is even other issues boiling in the pot (other than the attempt to avoid drama which makes no sense like Dun pretty much stated above). Either way, me personally, I'd never take the time. Its uninviting. A closed community is often one you will have the hardest time breaking into the ice to get to the fish (at least from my experience).

I would find something else with less absurd demands. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

Yeah... That's a hard NO.

• I read this! 1

owner of some website ❤️

I wouldn't mind it in theory, but there would have to be a really really interesting site idea, and I would have to like the people in return. It would be, in my mind, a mutual interview.

• I read this! 1
  • Preach it! 1

E5zAKhe.gif

I understand where this is coming from and if it works for them, that's awesome!

That said, I have no desire to put that much effort into seeing the content of a board I may or may not join.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

IKiE2z.png

God, no! 

I mean, in fairness, I could see it from the admin's perspective. They want to get to know potential writers first, see if they're a good fit and try to preempt any drama down the line. But, from a writer's perspective, I want to know what a board is like before I consider joining. I want to see what style they prefer, how they post and how active they are before I invest time and effort in joining. 

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

New-Project.png

HOME   PLOT