If you the admin are the only active member, is it weird to RP with yourself?

Foxypaws

Weird question! Just wondering about how it might look from the outside. Let's say that activity has died down to nothing. No open threads are being posted in, yet you the admin are always updating and writing new ones. You want people to know that the site is alive, but everyone is reluctant to join the slow site. Would an outsider think it strange if you made a thread and played it out from start to finish with only your own characters in order to keep things looking lively/making character development and things happen?

• I read this! 1

I am writing threads among my characters and also my characters' journals, no matter if the site is slow or not. There are simply parts of the story which need more of my characters interacting, or parts which can be told only in the journals.

It's several characters interacting. It's story writing. So nothing weird. The only thing which would be harmful would be if I prioritized the threads written alone higher than the threads written with the others. No, the others have priority, but when I have time for writing more, I write the ones among my characters too.

• Like 1

That's part of the 'starting up a forum by myself' package deal. 

Edited by Tartle
  • Cheers 1

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

As an outsider, I don't think it's weird that you're writing alone to keep activity up. One of the main points of roleplaying is to practice writing and storytelling. On that note, if you're writing these threads by yourself but don't really enjoy the whole process, that may be a different issue. But if you're content, keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by memoria
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

banner-01-88x31.jpg
Khyeras: an original fantasy RPG.

"I keep wanting to write 'dwarves' as 'drawers'."

"Land of the Drawers... we call it... Ikea."

On 3/14/2019 at 8:32 PM, kita said:

I wouldn't see it as weird, I'd see it as dedication. You're not giving up yet! 

This. When I see an admin posting threads with themselves, I automatically have 100% more respect for them. 

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

I don't necessarily RP with myself--but I am currently posting backstory or diary like posts, keep posting in out of character, keep an active Admin activity thread and will be trying to do a monthly news letter even if it's as sad/bad as writing, a few sentences. I think it shows dedication, as it was said above, and it keeps the place from looking dead. I made the mistake of not posting for a long while and it definitely affects your site. People want to see staff and admins active, even if it's just little things like software updates and site tweaks with occasional threads. 

• Agree 2

Ditto-ing everyone else here. It shows you are active and committed to the community. Plus there's nothing wrong with having a world / plot of your own. ❤️

owner of some website ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

honestly I feel the same way as everyone else! my sort of motto is, as long as YOU enjoy what you're doing, no one else's opinions matter!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say, that this thread has definitely made me feel a TON better about my own activity on my site. There's only a handful of us, so I am also constantly RPing with myself as well as the others and worried the exact same thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 1 month later...

I personally don't believe in closing down a site just because things become slow. What's with this weird obsession in the RP world of needing constant activity 24/7? People have lives. Stuff happens. Sometimes things just get a bit slow. It doesn't mean it won't ever pick up again. It just means that it's quiet *right now*.

I applaud the admins that are dedicated enough to hang in there and wait it out. Even if it does mean that they're just writing the story by themselves until someone else comes along to collaborate with them.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 2

----------------------------------------------------------

The Irenic Institute

There is absolutely nothing wrong with writing by yourself. I sometimes do it for single threads to keep certain things moving. There will always be lulls in writing since as said before me, life happens. We have a very lax way of posting on my forum and don't enforce too much the activity (one post a month). Our mantra is Life happens and that comes first. We have days when things are quiet but then there are days when everyone is posting all at once. 

I refused to close though because there was a time when it really was myself and one other as the only ones there. I wrote threads by myself so that people could see activity. I also was writing for myself. Working on things that could lead up to something when others joined. Over time people came and now we have a wonderful core group. Ironically enough that came about after we had turned one year old. It takes time and patience. Don't burn yourself out though just to prove that you're active. Do it for the love of the writing and site. The rest will follow.

• Love 1

spacer.pngDecadence