Publicly Posting Bans

Dragon

I think I've only ever banned someone maybe three times tops in the last four years. It takes a lot for me to ban someone and actually, in all of those cases, it was for totally disrupting the board, rude comments in the cbox and generally making everyone uncomfortable, so when I booted them off it was pretty obvious to everyone why. So for that reason I've never really had to consider posting bans publicly. I still don't think I ever would, just because I find it a bit weird and it would feel like I have to justify bans or something. My opinion is staff don't owe anyone anything and if someone comes along and ruins your/everyone's fun, it's perfectly acceptable to kick them off. 8D If a member asked me why someone was suddenly gone, I'd be 100% honest and tell them, but publicly posting bans like an announcement isn't something I think I'd ever do.

1226376502_bloodshonouradCropped(1).png.f99194955d2562e42a6ee995f506e7b6.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've only ever had to remove a player once over the last six years of GM experience, because they were simply too disruptive to the community and made most of our writers uncomfortable. I shared that knowledge by stating that the player was removed due to incompatibility and if anyone had questions they could DM me. No one mentioned it after that and things moved forward. Should I need to ban others in the future, that's my general philosophy: a quick note explaining why the player was banned and keep on keeping on. As an admin I keep things pretty transparent, but I'm also not going to devote that much time to drama and shenanigans. 

prombutton.gif.4e1b8312b0a3ebfb0391e63b7642d233.gif *  
{  18+ star trek | sandbox | no wc/ac | lazy lit   } NOVA  }

I don't believe that a "Wall of Shame" is effective. For starters, I don't think that there is a need to showcase and make an example of a member who is no longer permitted to participate on the site as it's a weak deterrent device. If you use an IP ban, that gets your message across just fine, unless the banned individual wants to pay to have their IP address changed. Second, I do believe in transparency, just for the sake of others who may have plots with said banned individual, but I do not believe that it is something that needs to be made a spectacle of. A simple explanation of why the individual is no longer permitted to participate is sufficient, and that should be the end of it.

• Admin
19 minutes ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

IP bans rarely, if ever, work anymore. Most IPs are dynamic and all it literally takes is turning off your router and then turning it back on to change it. For free.

This is why most sites don't even bother with IP bans anymore.

Plus proxies and vpns are a thing along with mobile. Mobile your IP can change 5 times in tens minutes if you’re on the freeway switching towers. 

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I am highly against public bans and "Walls of Shame". I've always believed they were crude practices. Not only do they come across as tactless, it implies staff's priority is humiliating a problematic member as opposed to maturely resolving an issue. I do not believe it is an effective way of preventing issues from arising in the future, it only gives members the opportunity to mock others.

That being said, if a member asks me why so-and-so was banned, I have no problem being upfront with them. Honesty is possible while still maintaining a level of integrity. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

umbra-galaxy.png

18+ multi-genre community. no application. no word count.

Having a Wall of Shame seems really... Petty. I mean, I get it. Members are going to talk when someone gets banned, some people are probably going to be angry about it. If they're curious, they can DM me. I'm not going to put a banned member on blast like that.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've never really liked the idea of a Wall of Shame? I feel like it's only "use" that it could provide is to warn people about said person, but since they're ban from the site anyways then it's just sort of... Redundant?

And honestly there's just not a lot a member can do with that information anyways?

I'd agree with a lot of the opinions of people posting here and say that it's a practice that only breeds potential drama and shaming.

Although I'd argue that it simply became a culture from habit. People got used to seeing the "Wall of Shame" and just thought it was one of the boards you by default post up on your site? But I see less and less of them these days so I feel as if they're sort of falling out of the norm, I almost forgot about them entirely before this conversation... That, or I'm just missing them. Haha

I think it's already been said enough times, but I'm definitely of the mind set that bans should never be publicly posted. Ever. On my site a mod actually left the site because we wouldn't "publicly crucify" a member that broke a rule (they weren't being banned, they were given a warning). That mindset that you need to publicize punishments and bans is a fear inducing tactic. You are publicly shaming the person, and then telling the other members that if they ever screwed up everything will be publicized. 

I very strongly believe that punishments should always be kept between staff and the member. The members deserve their privacy.