Advertising Sites that aren't Jcink-only? Do they exist?

Muse

Goodness, as a self-hosted phpBB forum, finding places to advertise on Tumblr and around the web seems a bit challenging. So many places seem Jcink-focused (or, worse yet, Jcink-ONLY). I'm not particularly gung-ho about advertising (we're small but growing, though I'd like to see more players trickle in so I'd like to get our name out there more), and I'm pretty laissez faire about linkbacks and affiliates (I do not have a forum on my site for others to advertise—is this really a necessary thing?).

Anyway, I've scrolled through a few collections of "resources" for advertising and found that either 1) they're Jcink-only or 2) they're defunct, haven't updated in weeks/months/years.

So, for all you folks who aren't running Jcink forums, how do you get the word out? I wanna pick yer brains.

Edited by Muse

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

I recognize the huge versatility and vast usefulness of jclink for RP boards. That said, I don't run one and don't stipulate what kind of software can be advertised on my website--other than it has to be about Role Play. I have used SMF, phpBB, tried MyBB (Never tried jclink and I am probably missing out) and never judge an RP site by what software they use. I am not about limiting community. I think that, in my PERSONAL opinion, we as role players and we as role play website owners need to be more inclusive with community, especially about sharing or helping one another out, especially when it comes to slightly increasing the chance of sharing members. It's not Us or Them. It's US. Period. 

I get a little frustrated when I see forums stipulating "x software/forums/websites only" for advertising, but it is what it is. 

I haven't had any luck with Tumblr. Every RP advertising community I come across appears to be dead and or inactive or maybe I am just old and yelling at the wrong clouds. (Searching/finding the wrong listings.) 

Anyway. There was a point to this post. I hope it's in here somewhere. 

• Preach it! 1

Have you had any luck advertising on Reddit?

Glub glub.

6 minutes ago, Deep Sea said:

Have you had any luck advertising on Reddit?

This may not be directed at me, but I will reply because why not--as far as I know--no. I haven't had anyone tell me they came from my reddit advertisements, nor do they get any comments/much interaction. I'm not going to know it, though. It's a place to share. 

1 hour ago, GreaterRealms said:

I think that, in my PERSONAL opinion, we as role players and we as role play website owners need to be more inclusive with community, especially about sharing or helping one another out, especially when it comes to slightly increasing the chance of sharing members. It's not Us or Them. It's US. Period. 

I think that's your point 💖

Anyway @GreaterRealms have you tried Google Analytics? It can help you track where your users are coming from.

Straight up though, no matter what my advertising technique was, my single greatest source of members has always been roleplay directories. Which makes sense, they're a tool designed to help users find your site and I believe it's the first port of call for the majority of roleplayers out there.

• Agree 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Roleplay directories are a big one.

There is also sigs and word of mouth that help to promote the site, too. If I read what people say in directories, you can get a pretty good feel for what they would be like as an admin and then go from there. It was how I found @Kit the Human's site. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

On 3/31/2019 at 9:39 PM, Kit the Human said:

Other things you can do: answering looking for rp ads. Also dropping character want ads on resource forums. Actively maintain your site directory listing. Write guides so that your helpfulness is preserved for posterity (phpbb focused guides are lacking!)

Anyway, I hope that's a little bit helpful! I'm pretty relaxed about advertising too, but the nature of my site makes it easier for me to be chill about it.

By the way, your site theme is so beautiful and soft. I want to cuddle it.

* before anyone gets salty, I am only talking about members here, I am NOT talking about admins choosing what software they want to work with.

Currently, my player base is really, really good at answering each others' want ads, which makes us rather self-sustaining, and I'm so not complaining about that one bit. I'm not dissatisfied with our player population, but, you know, it's okay to grow ... eventually.

I appreciate your insight on options, and, much like you, I'm pretty chill about it. I'm very much in the mindset of "if you write it, they will come." We keep writing awesome words and maintain a friendly, welcoming, plot-happy community, and the right people will fall right in when they find us. I suppose it's just the graphic designer in me that thinks I would be telling people through advertising somehow. LOL.

Aw. You can cuddle my theme all you want. Thank you! 

I'm a huge fangirl of your code work, to be fair. Ridiculously so.

• Love 1

So, uh, anyone wanna start a Tumblr RP Advertising site that's unitarian about forum RP? Oh? Me? Fine.

Also, I've put a post on Reddit once. Maybe. A year ago.

And I'd love to advertise here, but I'm not changing my whole aesthetic for a button with a logo on it. Yep. I'm stubborn, too. It's those little things (like an advertisement board that's open to everyone, etc.) that keep me from jumping all in to some advertising options, so I guess I'm doing some of this to myself. 

• Agree 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, Muse said:

I haven't put much effort into Reddit, to be fair. Have you?

I've gotten one or two hits off it, I haven't put in the effort to advertise every week like some GMs do though.

• Thank you 1

Glub glub.