Discord Advertising

Spangles

Have you ever tried Discord advertising? I've heard people talking about it, but I'm not sure how it works. Are there special Discord servers set up just for role play advertisments? 

New-Project.png

HOME   PLOT

The last site I was on, the staff was having a hard time attracting new people, so I suggested they list the Discord on a Discord directory.

Not a single person who came in through that ad wanted to do a forum RP--they thought it was for a Discord RP.

So if anybody has any positive Discord advertising experiences, I'd love to hear them, too!

• Agree 1

spacer.png

I have heard of DIscord advertising but have not tried myself personally. It has come up in discussion a few times with my site staff. Our concerns were like @msfoxtrottmentioned that they would think we were a discord roleplay. Another concern was spam. At the time we were already having issues with spam and worried that it would increase with the invite links be posted various places.

But, I too would like to hear if anyone has had success with this form of advertising.

• Agree 1

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

discord works well for word of mouth advertising, like talking to your friends about rp sites you're on, and revving up hype about new stuff your rp might be doing. allowing guests into your own discord either through a link or embed bot can be useful for showing people your ooc activity, if you use discord for that more than you use forums as well, and sometimes might be enough to hook a few members.  there probably are severs just for advertising rps too, the trick is finding them. discord severs aren't quite as accessible as a publicly visible forum, so they can be hard to scope out as a guest.

Edited by Kazetatsu

On 4/11/2019 at 8:26 AM, Spangles said:

Have you ever tried Discord advertising?

Can I add a follow up question for whoever might answer?

Do you know anyone who uses a Discord directory to find a place to roleplay? Or is it as has already been implied, that Discord directories target people who want to roleplay on Discord?

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

i'm afraid my answer won't be too helpful, but as i'm someone who likes advertising and tries to find new avenues often, it is very difficult to find discord directories that cater to forum.

kit's right in thinking that discord advertising is mostly aimed toward discord roleplayers. there are a lot of rp servers on discord now, so posting forum links would definitely be confusing to a lot of them who are here for discord rp. the servers that allow for forum advertising are usually attached to forum directories.

it seems like there's an interest in it, so i think if someone wanted to make a server that catered to forum roleplay, it'd be pretty popular. i'd totally support something like that.

• Thank you 1
  • Great Idea 1

j8KlPp.png 

• 4 weeks later...

There are discord communities that center around forum roleplaying. Most of them are also tied to directory forums, or are communities around coding and such which also happen to have a spot to advertise forum rps. I've had success with them in the past, and I'd recommend using them for some new blood.

Here are some of the ones I know of. Since I mainly rp on jcink, the ones I know of are jcink-centered, but they're a start!

• Slow Burn - a general rp server with more of a directory feel. not forum-exclusive
  • Jcink Coders - a community for those interested in coding for jcink, with an advertising section for member jcink forums
  • WeCode - a coding jcink forum & forum directory. has an advertising section for member forums
  • Jcink Community - a community of jcink forum owners/designers/members, with an area to advertise jcink forums

• Like 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

https://discord.gg/FP7TaQN

I found a server called roleplay central that seems to have both discord and form ads on it. It’s connected to a site too. Might be worth looking into for discord advertising. https://roleplaycentraldatabase.webs.com/join.htm

A lot of resource sites that have discords have a section for dropping ads for your forums. I've not had any luck with them, but I've also only just started remembering to do it regularly.

You might also try tumblr ad directories.