How to help the really new player

Huskerdust

I have a BRAND NEW roleplayer on my forum and I really want to help her get comfortable with roleplay. Luckily she is starting with a pretty chill group as my members have been Incredibly patient with her. 

As a brand new player, what should I make sure she knows? I don’t want her to just know my game. I’d love her to be able to branch out when she’s comfortable doing so. 

So far she knows the concept of play bys. She is still learning the difference between her account and her character account. She’s never been on a forum before at all so she’s new to that as well. 

Reality is an illusion. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am a new member/community admin on my SW forum, and in order to aid new members I implemented quite a few thing. I have a guide for EVERYTHING. That includes what some of the basic RP abbreviations mean like IC and OOC, how role play forums work, how to post, how to edit posts, where to post, what factions we have, etc.  I find it actually really helps and brings in a lot players. I also have an automatic PM that's short, much shorter than the guide, but it links to the guide.

• Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

The Myst of Avsolom is a medieval high fantasy role play forum set in an original world. It has an easily digestible Lore & Plot Overview page to help new members learn about the setting and jump in.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, guides for everything seem to be the way to go. If I run a site and I personally see a person somewhat struggling, I'd also try to take on a sort of 'mentor' role and personally PM the player just to check in and ask if they have any questions, and let them know that I'm totally happy to help if they need anything. Sometimes people feel more likely to open up and put forth the effort into learning something new if they feel like they have a friend, or someone to rely on when they need it.

• Fuck Yeah! 1

Something once lost can never be returned.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experiences,  I try to have myself (or other admins) be the first ones to RP with them, so you can guide them through the process, and answer any questions/concerns. Communicating through Discord or a messenger during those first few steps I think is important.

geronimo.png

• 2 weeks later...

Have her read some of Forum Roleplay's Basic Roleplay guides! These are really helpful reading, which I recommend to everyone I can. 

• Fuck Yeah! 1

• 1 month later...

I actually had a really new member a couple of months ago. They had never roleplayed before and I'm not going to lie, it was a bit of a struggle at first to help them to get their first character up and running, but after the first character, they were nearly a pro. You wouldn't have even guessed we were their first site. They asked tons of questions and were willing to learn about everything. We have an extensive amount of lore that's pretty specific and they were very deer in head lights about. Definitely don't expect them to retain it all really quickly. I like to think that even though all site write their own lore with their own twists, we are all kind of pulling from similar stuff on the internet. Like a werewolf is a werewolf, it just might be a bit different one every site. So if they don't get the lore right every time just gently correct them. It'll take some time. Once everybody in the server knew how new to roleplay this person was, it was kind of a team effort in helping them. So I think if your members know and all pitch in to help your new person out, there might be a good chance they will feel more welcomed. 

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

spacer.png

Will you be another face in the night? 

18+ | 333 Rating | No Word Count | No Activity Check | Diverse Species 

Home | Plot | Rules | Species | Claims | Site Trailer

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe ask them what length of post they are comfortable writing, and try to match that length for a start, so they aren't discouraged/intimidated.

Make sure they're clear about the things that universally peeve almost everyone, like taking control of other characters without their permission. Give her some helpful tips that help to avoid doing this, such as building up to an open-ended scenario at the end of the post, using NPCs, whatever it may be. Strategies on how to make a post interesting without resorting to that.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. 🙂

• Thank you 1