What Do You Have for Discord Channels

Brie

We all know full well that for now discord is the future, plenty of roleplays have one, often with some sort of embed like titan to help immerse guests into the community faster.  Sometimes it's just a cbox with a link, but once you get into the actual discord community, how do or would you organize yours. Would you have plotting channels? Tag channels? NSFW? Channels for each IC faction? What have you found to be necessary and what have you seen never ever get used?

In case it isn't obvious, I'm trying to reorganize my discord xD

• Love 1

I typed a lot but I deleted it because I think this list will be more concise. Here's the general layout of my servers:

Server Info

• Welcome/Rules channel (invite link dumps people here)
  • Announcements
  • a hidden staff channel where the mod log is posted

Roleplaying

• RP Discussion
  • Character planning
  • in-character chatplaying if that's your thing and you wanna entertain people with rapidfire crack rping off the board
  • Bot feed for new threads (if you have one installed like Morrigan does on the Init server)

OOC/Off-topic

• General
  • Memes/Image spam channel
  • Music-sharing channel
  • NSFW channel
  • Thank you 1

Glub glub.

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 2.20.32 PM.png@Deep Sea's layout is great. I would also suggest you maybe start with the basics and expand or reduce channels as you get a better picture of how your Discord is being used. Our Discords, since we are a very small group, are set up very simply.

• Thank you 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

our site is abt 3-yrs old, and we've had a discord for 1 of those. started out w just a single channel in our host's discord, bc we didnt rly need much else, and then expanded into our own. now we have:

information
#information: this channel tells new peeps what each channel is for and where to go for x or y.
#site-news: news updates are automatically posted here. our software integrates w discord, so i dont gotta do nuttin.
#change-my-color: peeps go here to have their name changed to a color re: user roles

general
#discussion: general discourse
#games: any fun games anyone wants to play, or they can talk abt games.
#help-center: help im new and cant read
#suggestions: just cause

plotting
#house-discussion: our site's heavily dependent on family houses, so this is for them to inter-house plot
#idea-banter: general plotty discussion
#open-threads: software auto-notifies of open threads here
#requests: software auto-notifies of new want ads here
#new-posts: software auto-notifies of new posts and topics in ic boards here

extra
#bot-spam: for playing with the bot junk
#mature-chat: what it says on the tin

staff
#staff-general: what it says on the tin; software also auto-posts new posts and topics from the staff board here
#member-issues: again, what it says on the tin

i think what categories and channels u end up w are rly dependent on what ur site needs. for instance another site set up differently prolly wont need a #house-discussion channel, they prolly dont even have houses. i agree w the suggestion above made about trying a couple standard channels and then seeing how ur discord's used and expanding based on what it needs, and cutting out what it doesnt, bc these kinds of things are rly subjective.

• Thank you 1

that which does not kill me, had better run; because now im pissed.

You can find me on Simprovise

Copy past from my welcome page

So you don't get lost: #welcome - A brief welcome to the server.

#earth-docks - Here you can talk as a guest and ask questions!

#database - To get answers on some questions you might have!

#post-alerts - The general alert channel that give notice of a new post on the website!

When you upgrade to Aurora status

#announcements - Important sim news will be posted here.

#recreational-deck - A channel for crew members to chat.

#in-character - A channel for your characters to interact with each other.

#tag - A channel to let people know they have a tag.

#loa-notifications - A channel to let the command team and crew know you’re taking a Leave of Absence.

When you become a member of Command

#command - A channel for the command team to mingle and speak about stuff that concerns the sim in OOC status.

• Thank you 1

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm

• 4 weeks later...

We currently have a few staff channels for various things (like a log channel and rolls channel) that are only visible to the staff.

We than have the following:

OOC Things:

- general

- image spam (for gifs or personal or whatever since it keeps it out of the general chat)

- announcements

- help

- giveaways

IC Things:

- open threads

- thread tags

- character requests

Then we also have various plot-focused channels so that conversation can be done in one place for that.

adV1.gif

On my SW forum we always have a channel for each faction. For example: Sith Empire, Mandalorians and Galactic Alliance. I also like rp-plotting channels or rp-request channels.

The Myst of Avsolom is a medieval high fantasy role play forum set in an original world. It has an easily digestible Lore & Plot Overview page to help new members learn about the setting and jump in.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty basic.  I've got the welcome and such at the bottom for the ease of the people that are actively in there all the time. Unseen, below Bitching is Stash, where I put crap so I don't forget it/lose it when moving between computers.

Look-at-this is for images and random odds and ends we find interesting. Poorly-thought-out-ideas is more of the... "Hey! I was thinking of a character that did XYZ thing, anyone want to roll his partner?"

discord.png

I keep mine fairly simplistic, and direct the rest of the traffic to the website itself:

#general is where the crew can relax, and chat. Feel free to introduce yourself!

#announcements is where you'll find important messages from the GMs.

#character-creation-help is where you can ask for help in creating or revising any character for the simm, and our players can help you!

#tag is for friendly reminders of active tags. Try to keep conversation here to a minimum

#command is for the command team, where we discuss OOC matters.

geronimo.png

• 3 weeks later...

discordshare.jpg

On Witchlight: So we have a guest friendly channel for the titan embed on site because we didn't want the regular ooc visible to people just cruising by (I talk about my kid in there and while anyone can join the server and see this, it just creeps me out less to not have it right there on the site). We also put announcement links in there too and wave at new people. Ooc is self explanatory. Creative is for things like art, crochet, and the other creative stuff we do outside writing. Mostly we drool on Salem art. Pretty faces is for face spam because some people were annoyed by my constant face dropping in ooc. Media was created for spoiler talk, but is kind of now a media catch all. Youtube links. Gifs. Random pics.

Giveaways and staff bits are also self explanatory, I think. We do giveaways for birthdays, or hitting milestones like another year open, or 9k posts, what have you. Sometimes just because someone had a bad week and could use a pick me up. Since we have a shop system in which you can earn fancy perks and things.

Then we have a channel for every territory. Territory leaders have admin powers over their channel so they can pin stuff. It makes it easy for tagging people and plotting for territory events and character situated there. A lot of time there is spill over across channels, but that doesn't bother me any. We're just all really excitable. 

We also have the birb bot and sidekick bot to use for giveaways and rolling/flipping for random crap. None of us make decisions. We make the birb and roller do it for us. 😛

obbdiscordshare.png

On OB&B: Things are a little simpler. Maybe because the site is smaller (and sleeping right now since Jones and I had a big plotsplosion on WL). Chat for BSing. Media for any pics (face spaaaam). Plotplace for extra plottenial. Heyjones is a NSFW channel where I mostly spam the lewd option for birbbot because it amuses me so much. Ready for review. Tags. Open threads. And bigpimpin is for posting want ad related things.

Edited by dusk

88x31buttondandy.png

• 1 month later...

Big things come in small packages, babey. LCARS is for Tatsumaki, our little AI. Commands has a list of things you can make Tat do, and input is where people play around with him. Talk is for talking, information is for announcements and links, awards is to let people know when they've earned an achievement, and apps is an admin-only channel that explains the formatting guidelines and acceptable criteria. Mostly we're all very chatty, so people will shoot the shit and plot and tag at the same time. 

smoll.png.0c3c1aba00498e5a3839f2d1d3f19ea7.png

Edited by Yona Carlin

prombutton.gif.4e1b8312b0a3ebfb0391e63b7642d233.gif *  
{  18+ star trek | sandbox | no wc/ac | lazy lit   } NOVA  }

On 4/28/2019 at 7:57 AM, Deep Sea said:

I typed a lot but I deleted it because I think this list will be more concise. Here's the general layout of my servers:

Server Info

• Welcome/Rules channel (invite link dumps people here)
  • Announcements
  • a hidden staff channel where the mod log is posted

Roleplaying

• RP Discussion
  • Character planning
  • in-character chatplaying if that's your thing and you wanna entertain people with rapidfire crack rping off the board
  • Bot feed for new threads (if you have one installed like Morrigan does on the Init server)

OOC/Off-topic

• General
  • Memes/Image spam channel
  • Music-sharing channel
  • NSFW channel

Pretty much this, except we don't have a bot feed or an NSFW channel and we have a channel for art. We also have separate plotting chats for different factions. We haven't separated our general/memes chat, and honestly I think it's probably better that way. Memes tend to flow better in discussion, but we'll see how that goes as more members join 😛

Edited by slowsadmariachi

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

We have a very simple discord layout on Blood's Honour because atm I don't feel like anything else would be particularly useful or required.

#general - The general chat server where most of the channel's conversation happens.

#staff-announcements - A server for me to make occasional important announcements in which I use the @everyone tag to make sure it's seen.

#questions - The server for asking questions (self-explanatory!)

#plotting - A server for everyone to suggest plot ideas, request plots, discuss plots, etc etc.

#tags - Thread tags go here.

#absences - And finally, instead of having an absences board on the forum I decided to toss one onto our discord channel instead, so if anybody isn't going to be around for a certain period of time they can easily and quickly give us a heads up.

1226376502_bloodshonouradCropped(1).png.f99194955d2562e42a6ee995f506e7b6.png

After seeing all of these mine feels so bare. 

-General - Which is all the general chit chat.

-Announcements - Any staff related announcements that we gotta make.

- Open threads - A list of any and all open threads on site. 

- Tags - Once a thread has been posted/replied to tags are made here. 

- Character inspiration - A little corner for anything character inspiration - seen a face, or a book or something like that.

-Awesome Quotes - A new thing on the discord - A place to show of awesome quotes on site you have read. 

Over on my other site we have a general plotting area as well, which i wont be implementing on the new site simply because i found a lot of plotting was happening on there and not on site and while that is all fine and well no plotting was happening on site and nthe plot pages were sitting unused which can be a somewhat turn of for new members who don't want to join the discord. 

We also had a site event area on the other site - which was a place to make updates for site events, or even come up with site events etc.

user posted image                                                                                              

I have a variety of channels, it’s expanded over time and we needed separate categories for things. 

8F3A7F9B-E9F0-4B79-B25B-AC13BCB7D897.jpeg

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara