Telling Non-RPers About Your Hobby

Dreadling

• Operations Mod

I come from the sort of background where many people pretty much equate D&D with satanic animal sacrificing, and who see RP as related to either devil worship or sexual deviance. The kind of place where the PTA petitions the school to have Harry Potter and His Dark Materials taken out of the library because they're anti-biblical witchcraft.

So I'm pretty much conditioned to avoid discussing it. Most of the time the closest I'll get is just saying I like to write.

Even with people I trust, I don't care to talk about it because I don't want them asking to see it. This is my corner to get away from the day to day BS, and I want most of the people I know to keep their damn noses out of it. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

On 5/24/2019 at 12:57 PM, Elena said:

Some colleagues were asking me about story progress for their favourite characters every morning.

I love this so much! What wonderful colleagues. I would love this. “Oh! Guess what Such and Such character did yesterday!”

• Love 1

I told one of my college teachers (after I'd graduated) about one of my sites. And she saw my character list and asked why I played all men except for one female and I had to explain to her that all my men are gay... it was an interesting conversation xD I eventually told the site's discord and they all said they would die from embarrassment... Maybe I'm a little too open? Lol

• Love 1

My sites

Blur the LinesGrand Finale

I’m still not shy about it. I’m trying to get my mom to do it now. Hehehe

• Love 1

Reality is an illusion. 

It's not something I really talk about all that much with my friends who are outside of my RPing circles. I write for a living but I'm bizarrely terrified of my friends seeing my RPing. I have no idea why. 

I have mentioned it in passing a few times to my group of friends who I have been doing a pathfinder game with, since other than some surface differences, it's not really all that different from doing a tabletop game. That's pretty much it, though.  

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast

• 2 weeks later...

I merely refer to it as 'my writing', and kind of group it that way. My partner seems a bit bewildered by it at times, but he understands it is my outlet and something I need to do!

Join us on the FRONTIER, a brand new Star Trek RPG.

• 3 weeks later...

I have definitely used "collaborative writing" as a synonym for roleplaying.

Once that Step 1 is done, I upgrade to Step 2 and use the actual term and explain it to them.

Surprisingly, they understand me... Maybe I don't get strange looks because the first language here isn't English and the word "roleplaying" doesn't have connotations. 

coming in 2020: a fate-inspired panfandom roleplay.

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh, I run a collaborative writing forum online, hawhaw. /Pinocchio nose"

"What? That sounds cool! What exactly does that mean?"

"Hawhaw, I'll tell you. >:3 "

jAV3hKd.png

I explained to some people what I was doing, when I was around 15 or 16, and ended up derided by some, and with my parents threatening to limit my computer time should this affect my studies 😐

Nowadays, I say I do some collaborative writing, or that I am on a writer club. It somehow make it seems better in the eyes of non-initiates when taking out the "game" element and making it more some sort of highly literate pursuit instead 😄 I just am careful to not sound as if I was boasting either, since my intention is rather to avoid the judgement, not cause another

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

i used to not be super open about my hobby for similar reasons other people have mentioned; they would think i was talking about something different. however in recent years, i decided i don't care and i blatantly tell everyone i RP and play D&D lol 😁

I usually relate it to DnD, which most people these days at least understand as a concept. I used to just call it "roleplaying" but that got me a lot of weird looks and gross questions 😅

Hi there! Nice to meet ya ^_^

Current Sites:

Wizarding Wireless Network

• 4 weeks later...

I usually run with something like "Collaborative writing" or "co-authoring a story". If people ask beyond that I'll gladly explain but as I've had a few very negative/nasty replies to this hobby in the past I tend to keep things global. Not that I'm ashamed of my hobbies, but I'd just rather avoid the drama that some people create around it. My anxiety makes me feel like crap enough thank you very much

• Agree 1

I usually roll with collaborative writing as well... people usually think it's really cool when I explain it... but I know if I called it 'roleplaying' I'd lose them right off the bat.  

• Love 1

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

absintheaffiliate.gif spacer.png DuellumAffiliate.jpg.300504c568bebb615a1863c5d5947415.jpg static-historicalrp.jpg.25bcabc927a0bcaa

• 2 weeks later...

It once came up in college and I just say collaborative writing as well.  Family is used to my interesting hobbies so I just be upfront whenever I'm talking about a commission or something else related to it.