Telling Non-RPers About Your Hobby

Dreadling

I wish it was something more people knew about, because honestly so many people love to read and love to write, but I would venture a guess that half as many of these people know that RP sites exist.
The only "RL" People who know about my hobby is my mum and my sisters (sort of). My younger sister LOVES fanfic, so its a somewhat similar hobby but has never written any of her own to my knowledge.
I tell my mum all about it though honestly, and I've shown her my sites! She supports it and I think she thinks it's really adorable honestly ❤️ She really  wants to read my writing but it's a hard nope from me, lmao.

Super stoked admin at

DIRECTORYAD.gif

I just say 'collaborative story telling' if I need to talk about it, cause it takes a lot longer to explain RPing to family and friends....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest burningbridges19

I've told a couple of friends and usually they're very interested and ask me lots of questions about how it works, how I create characters, how I get threads with other people etc. and even though they definitely do not get it completely (I don't think it can be understood completely unless you're doing it yourself, to be honest), they still try to understand why it's something I like to do. The first person I told actually asks me how my characters are doing regularly, hahah.

If people in the real world ask, I just refer to it as my writing group. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm particularly self-conscious about myself and my own achievements, so it doesn't surprise anyone when I say that I don't want to talk about what I write about or how the writing group functions. My spouse knows about it, but we just refer to it as "site stuff".

spacer.png

Celebrating 3 wonderful years!

I'm a bit shameless about most of my hobbies, so I just come right out with it. People either think I'm a pervert and its a sex thing, they're confused, or they ask for more info. If its the latter two, I explain that its a bit like D&D but with more writing and less dice/stats. If its the former, well then that's on them imo. That being said, most of my friends fall into one (or more) of three groups: D&D/tabletop nerd, hardcore gamer, or basically a furry (long story on that lol). Fortunately, it means they get it pretty quickly, and that's when I try and rope them into whatever site I'm interested in at the time.

• Love 1

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

It happened again! Got a new roomate this week. Was showing off my site (it's my child, fight me) and he said "How much many do you make at that?" NONE! But it's so hard to explain to "normies" that this passion isn't something I can make money at. 

BFDTRIAL.png.529db59dba91cf02803411f1d464de5d.png

@Lucky that's how I've described it too.

But I don't usually tell people. I'm open about the fact that I write as one of my main hobbies, but I don't usually elaborate. I grew up with family members who made fun of basically anything creative I did, so I eventually stopped sharing my art or writings with anyone. Very few of my actual friends know about my rping.

Of course my bf knows, and he loves it because I have to listen to music when I write - if he sees me put on my headphones, he jumps to switch the tv over to his PlayStation XD 

Edited by sightedwolf

test2.png

Guidebook | Want Ads | Canon List

RPG-D Member's Choice Winner

Harry Potter 2020

@sightedwolf Yeah, my inner circle know and that's about it. But it does feel nice to be able to say 'I write collaboratively' and then my family goes: 'oh, okay' XD

• 2 months later...

Coworkers will often be like "So what did you do last night?" The dreaded question. But yeah, "collaborative writing" has become my go-to. Sometimes they'll seek clarification, whereupon I explain about how we each have our own characters and just kind of interact, crafting one narrative from our disparate perspectives. But said less pretentiously.

The increasing mainstream popularity of D&D has actually helped a bit. "It's like that but across the internet and without dice."

I usually use the term "writing group" for most people and if they ask for more details about it I explain a little more but like most on here it equates to "collaborative writing". Though long ago when I was far more brave and less anxiety ridden then I am now, I managed to put RPing on my resume. At the time I was a part of BravoFleet (a large Star Trek RPing community for those who don't know) and I was the second in command of my task group, in charge of recruitment and took on the Graphics Request department so I phrased it in a managerial way. I wish I still had a copy of that resume I'd paste what exactly I said in here but alas this was years ago. I'm much more careful now lol.

IPsm.png.77d22ae2f096e4ef69c14b1ce162881a.pngSWEsm.png.88017424c39d2a9e36870fe4cb92c6af.png

I know my coadmin offline and his family knows to varying degrees since we're often working on some thing or another and sometimes ask their advice on topics they know about. I've explained it to an ex interested who joined a site with me for a short time and to my grandmother who would follow some character stories but she was a cheerleader for her grandkids. 

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

"Collaberative writing," anyone? Haha. I recently had a friend I made IRL (a rare feat) and she was asking about what I was doing. I told her a bit about it and she was really interested (kind of nerdy like myself so it felt safe) but it was still really awkward trying to figure out what exactly to tell her. "Yeah, I play a Mexican werelion?!" isn't exactly something you imagine yourself saying out loud to another human person.

adorable lion GIF

• 2 weeks later...

I normally explain that it's collaborative writing. That seems the easiest way for me to get the concept out.