Telling Non-RPers About Your Hobby

Dreadling

@JaxxFor me, choose your own adventure is not interactive - it's your choice against the book, it isn't something you interact with another person. (And given that in my country such books don't exist, I have seen it only in English on internet, no chance of such association of ideas).

14 hours ago, Jaxx said:

I'd personally think of something more like a choose-your-own-adventure book if someone said 'interactive story' but that could just be me. 

It's not just you!

To me, "interactive" is something you engage with like a CYOA book or even something that is created real time with audience feedback. "Collaborative", in contrast, is something that multiple people (including me/you) are working together on to create. Sure, this could be a chapter each, but it can also be working together to perfect that one sentence--there's a huge range of things it could encompass!

IKiE2z.png

It would probably be easier for me to tell people it's collaborative writing, but I usually end up trying to fully explain what it is and then subsequently end up confusing them lol. So I usually call it something like "forum-based rp where I take turns with someone else to put together a story". Most of the people who know me well don't need a full explanation because they know both writing and role play is a passion for me, so "writing stories with other people" or "writing role play" is usually enough for them.

• Agree 1

yi1tXyG.jpg

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

I go with the ol' "collaborative writing".  If the asker is familiar with DnD or other desktop rpgs, I generally talk about forum rping in terms of 'it's like DnD, except written down and there's usually less math'.

• LOL 1

Because I mostly do fandom RPs, the exact description I use is "it's a cross between Dungeons and Dragons and fanfic." People on the slightly less nerdy side of the spectrum in my friend group get "collaborative writing" or "collaborative fanfic."

I call it collaborative writing.  Then my friends ask me about it and I tell them that I write characters against other people who write characters in different settings to tell a story.  They all stare at me and think it's really cool and I get away with being able to do it with my husband.  Who I'm pretttttyyy sure if I told him I RPed he'd think it was something dirty and make me stop.  lol

• Agree 1

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

absintheaffiliate.gif spacer.png DuellumAffiliate.jpg.300504c568bebb615a1863c5d5947415.jpg static-historicalrp.jpg.25bcabc927a0bcaa

I met my husband on a RP site, and I moved across the country...so people always ask how we met. When we say 'online' we get weird looks. So I've taken to saying we met through my cousin (who was on the site as well) and we wrote stories together.  It only stifles the weird looks for a bit.

• LOL 1

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

• Admin

For me I tell them I like to roleplay. They ask me "Oh you mean like DnD and stuff?" my response is often. "Sort of. It's more like collaborative story telling where I write with other writers and we don't use dice."

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I avoid bringing it up in as many situations as I can... but sometimes, I admit that I run a collaborative writing community (ie. I admin a RP site). And sometimes people have questions about that, in which I feel really awkward about telling them because no one really ever seems to grasp it. I find it really hard to explain past "Collaborative writing" especially when people have specific questions.

Unlike all you lucky people out there, I barely have friends outside of the RP community, let alone friends that would RP or play video games with me. And those who I've tried to toss a RP site their way have always ignored it, so -shrug-. I find it fascinating that some of you have had success with this!

My boyfriend knows a bit about my RPing hobby (I've showed him some of my posts, though I mainly keep it to myself); my family doesn't know much, nor would they understand, I think. 

I'd love to know more about how to describe it to people that have no idea what it is, how it works, etc. and people of an older generation 🙂

I never really say anything about this hobby when asked about my hobbies. I also sew, code, and dabble in graphics. The only people who really know are my significant other and a few friends who I RP with. I never really know how to explain it well without looks. Everyone always assumes Role playing means something else. After reading the above though, I think I may have a better grasp of trying to explain it to others (if it ever arises). 

spacer.png

SCI-FI ORIGINAL RPG

"What do you do for fun or in your free time?"

Yeah I get asked this question a few times.  Most people know what you mean when you say you are a "gamer".  But most have no clue when you are like, "Yeah, I rp."  The amount of funny looks I have gotten.  Then, when you say, oh it's a form of roleplay., the looks turn to almost disgust.  Most of the time they think it's some kind of "kink" or something.  Anymore, I just leave it out.  I was so scared to tell my husband at first.  But now he actually has joined in and we RP together on sites.  

I honestly tell them I am a creative writer and this outlet allows me to do so. Its like any writing, its an outlet. I often use blogs and such as an example then explain that I am just telling a fictional story after all we are frustrated writers if we do not get to excorsise those mind muscles!

• Love 1

spacer.png

My family knows that I RP. My father definitely understands more than my mother (I get my writing creativity from him). The first time I tried to explain to my mother what RPing was, I made the mistake of trying to give her an elaborate answer. She still didn't know what I was talking about. After that, I just settled with "collaborative writing".

Edited by HanSoulo
  • Agree 1

Nope, can't do it. I literally cannot tell anyone. There would be so many questions that I just wouldn't know how to answer. They'd want to see it... That would lead to a mess, I am absolutely sure. Nope, online RP is my thing, my escape from the people I know. My little secret.

• Cheers 1

My brother is really into D and D and while I do not play, once we started talking about storytelling it has become really great for us to share how we develop characters, stories, and create worlds for others to enjoy.  

Meanwhile, I cant stand if anyone I know IRL reads my stuff haha.