As a member what would you like to see more of in the RP Community?

Morrigan

Message added by Morrigan

5 hours ago, Vellamo said:

If someone says "you know that's not true because here's a fact why", it doesn't have to turn into a fight to the death (on that note, I will judge you on how well you take conflict or perceived conflict with grace).

This this this absolutely this.

We don't truly know a person until we've seen how they disagree.

• Agree 2

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

Agreed 1000% with @Vellamo-- For awhile now, my main RP want has just been people choosing to err on the side of kindness. I feel like we'd avoid the vast majority of our drama flare-ups if folks were just more patient with each other and took a moment to recognize it's a person on the other side of the screen with their own shit going on you don't know about.

12 hours ago, Vellamo said:

the people who seem to always have something negative to say: a string of complaints about several sites they've joined in succession or dramatic encounters to relay on directories. It's 9/10 never anonymous enough that I cannot figure out with a bit of button-pressing who they're complaining about

To this I'd also like to add when these folks drag games they've never been part of. Whatever reason you've concocted in your mind to justify being nasty about others who have nothing to do with you is bullshit; you're just being petty and a not nice person.

And I will say, I understand that leading with kindness can be hard. Really hard. God knows it's a constant struggle for me. The people doing the dragging have their own shit bleeding into how they approach all of this, too. But just understand that if you think you're a "good person" and you engage in this sort of activity -- If you're talking shit behind people's backs (or to their face, for that matter), if you are more concerned with whether someone else is not doing something exactly the way you prefer when it is hurting literally no one, and you then choose to lean in to your negativity rather than change the subject -- you're lying to yourself about being good. Try harder.

I would love to see less stigma surrounding the concepts of godmodding and metagaming.

prombutton.gif.4e1b8312b0a3ebfb0391e63b7642d233.gif *  
{  18+ star trek | sandbox | no wc/ac | lazy lit   } NOVA  }

21 minutes ago, Yona Carlin said:

I would love to see less stigma surrounding the concepts of godmodding and metagaming.

That's an interesting one. I don't agree that people should be able to go hog wild, but I do think being in constant communication with each other can allow a degree of godmodding that is comfortable for everyone and creates a better story. I do this with my close friends in private RP, but I don't really see emphasis on it in RP in general. It's more just a hard line you're not supposed to ever step over.

• Cheers 2

- Admins putting self-care and their well being above their site. 

• Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Thank you 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

1 hour ago, Keaton said:

That's an interesting one. I don't agree that people should be able to go hog wild, but I do think being in constant communication with each other can allow a degree of godmodding that is comfortable for everyone and creates a better story. I do this with my close friends in private RP, but I don't really see emphasis on it in RP in general. It's more just a hard line you're not supposed to ever step over.

Definitely agree. In limited doses I think both are excellent narrative tools. One of my favorite things to do is GM plots for people as little 'gifts' based upon what I know about the writer and their characters, and delineate situations where they then have to react to what I've thrown at them. (E.g. getting injured/captured/describing their impressions of a non-euclidean alien/setting up different moods and daily events, etc etc.) In games where telepathic characters are common, metagaming can be a really fun way to delve into experimental points of view. I tend to be wary of people who scream NO GODMODDING OR NO METAGAMING EVER because I'm just over here like...well that's no fun.

• Cheers 1

prombutton.gif.4e1b8312b0a3ebfb0391e63b7642d233.gif *  
{  18+ star trek | sandbox | no wc/ac | lazy lit   } NOVA  }

People that will step away from their keyboard and take a break from the site/Discord when they're having a bad day instead of taking it out on other people who have done nothing to warrant the treatment they're getting, or extensively bitching in the main channel about how much they hate everything when the rest of us are trying to have normal conversations. 

• Agree 2

Character development.

I don't mean like "Sweet my character has a boyfriend and some connections now!", I mean like actual character growth, evolution, devolution, whatever. I want to see them become something different than what they were when they started. It seems like a lot of players write their character in a place where they've already worked for and achieved what they wanted and now they're just sitting in it and letting everyone admire their success.

I want to see characters spiral out of control, hit rock bottom, and come back or get lost there. Maybe it's just been too long a time since I was on a site long enough to see it happen.

• Love 1

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed a lot of rps are moving to chat apps like Discord for example. I'd noticed that discord seem to replace forums if you know what I mean. That said, I like to see more forums without the heaviness of outside chats involved as I like forum activity to be centered on the board itself.

• Operations Mod

I'd really like to see more of members just getting the fuck over the idea of being owed a longer post, just because they wrote a longer post. 

I'm sitting here right now, reading over a reply that's 500+ words - and yet provides literally nothing for my character to respond to. There is no actionable content for them to have any kind of reaction to. Even the other character's dialogue is just a long, rhetorical spiel because they're talking at my character and not to them. 

But somehow I'm required to shit out a minimum of 200 words in response to the drivel. 

Now, am I capable of shitting out 200+ words in response to this? Yeah, sure. I could write plenty about how my character is thinking about what a windbag the other one is. I could probably puke out a good 100 words or so talking about the stains in the carpet and how disgusting it is that they let their cat walk around among the food and beverages on the tea table, with its shit covered paws. 

Roleplay is supposed to be a back and forth where each post builds off the next to advance a plot. This is not advancing anything. 

Biggest kicker is, the other person involved in this thread frequently gripes about slow plot progression. Now wtf could that be, I do so desperately wonder? 

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 3

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution