Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Morrigan

How involved are you in your own roleplay site?

As staff and admins we have more than just the roleplaying to do. We have applications to approve, we have member feedback (and complaints) to deal with, we have plots to push and events to coordinate. Its a lot! However, does this mean that on your own site you never get to RP or that these duties take away from the time available to you to roleplay? Do you ever wish you could be just a member on your own roleplay so that you could actually post and roleplay more?

• Love 1

adtest3.png

btltempbanner2.png

advertisementmain.jpg

Dr Suess Quote

Profile set made by @jordan of Dark Motives

Yes. All the time. Sometimes being an admin is a lot. You have a lot to do, but i think with a lot of the way codes are now, and how times are changing with role playing (such as no app sites) then it is a lot easier to be a role player as well as an admin. I remember when i first started otu. There was a lot when it came to doing claims and making sure everything was perfect and you had to do this and that. I think role play can be a lot more lax for an admin to just enjoy roleplay.

• Preach it! 1

9cce3b72-virtue.png
COMING SOON
Virtue in Darkness. Set in Old Hallow Maine, a city you won't find on any map. You all know the tale of Roanoke, now learn the tale of Old Hallow.

I get to write all the time on my site. The entire reason I make, or have made, sites is/was so that I could write the characters I had in mind and explore a plot that I thought would be interesting. Most staff duties don't take very long. Approving an app and sorting claims only takes maybe twenty minutes. So does archiving things after a member leaves. So far the only thing I've noticed that really takes up time is going through members to see which have and haven't met posting requirements for the month to be considered active, and that only happens once a month. There's also advertising, but I don't do site-to-site and check requests infrequently. 

• Agree 1

affiliate_text.png
Character driven Marvel/X-Men, now with staff search!

btl.jpg
Panfandom fantasy world

Normally I am doing a lot more posting and plotting than admin work because of the way I run sites. At the moment, I have slowed to a crawl because of RL events but still post when I get the time. And soon I'll have lots of time (YAY) so that will mean a lot more posting again. But yeah... I don't make a site to just watch others write on it. I make them so I can write on them, so I'm definitely a big part of that. 

In fact, a while back, on my site Somnia, in its fifth or so year, I looked over the stats and discovered that despite having around 10-15 regular members over time, my posts accounted for nearly half the site posts. O.o

• Like 2

Reality is an illusion. 

WAB-SKINNYBAN.png

maydabanneraf.png

I've managed to find a happy balance. I have 3 other staffers that help with everything, but the site has gotten to where it pretty much runs itself. The heaviest thing I do is the advertising and keeping up with that hasn't really been that hard to do. So I enjoy being able to post more than having to be an admin. Irony at it's best, I now have more characters than I ever did as a member somewhere else and they all have something going on. I tend to say I'm living the dream.

Dark%20button.png 967c6d36-f8c1-4032-b49d-7fc18b9fcb25.jpg 

poke_responsible2.png

Honestly, I'm probably too active on my sites. I tend to just kinda take over everything, nobody wants to tell me to fuck off, and I don't run like site events or anything, but I will generate occurrences by playing. (I've managed to accidentally become the main-plot-pusher for a lot of sites by playing that way, not just my own.) Generally anymore, I don't have to approve or look over anything. When I see a problem, I fix it. Until then, my sites are generally 'do whatever bc I'm basically not here to babysit you.' Ofc, I only have the one right now, lol, and it's just me and girlfriend, so there's not much to do with it anyway, BUT YOU KNOW, if I was a cool cat and had multiple sites... I may eventually, but I still honestly won't be spending a lot of time doing admin junk.

I've never really had too much patience with menial junk. I quit Jcink forever because I hated doing manual claim lists and stuff, and even now I can't stand running a site on anything I don't have back-end access for anymore. I hate apps (I sooo hate apps). Basically I shouldn't have to pay attention to what someone's doing bc if I do they're doing it wrong, and idc until I see that it's a problem, so chances are, I might be the first person you role-play with, but I probably barely noticed you registered tbh bc it didn't really blip my admin-radar much. Lol

But you know what does suck up a lotta time, coding. Like, negl, the tail end of coding Gaia had me so busy I didn't post for two months. Blech.

• I read this! 1

Kendra Stormborn, the First of Her Name, Queen of Olympus and Tartarus, Khaleesi of the Great Binary Sea, Mother of Code, Breaker of Errors, the Unfaltered.

kats-signature.png

KATS is where I blog about my Sims legacies and stories, and probably make some stupid jokes, so if you like my writing but don't RP with me, KATS is where you wanna go.

Gaia: Athens 1.0.0 out now! You can also join the Gaia coterie.

Yes, the past does hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it.

Plain of Ice onyx2ban.jpg.dbe50dc399fa995bfe2963db7e2 Messiah Roleplay Architects

Sometimes but I also have learned to have a good crew so that delegation does not become an issue. You can burn yourself out fast and hard if you do it all too long. I was partner on a forum where that was what I did and I can tell you it destroyed my writing I was so mentally blah.

I had to walk away. From Rp. Now I work with a crew, I write and no one is burnt out. Its a balance. 

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

I'm running an rp-discord right now, and I'm very involved on the rp scene. I'm playing npcs in events, playing my own plots, tracking what members do so the setting responds, and other duties that are directly related to the rp, so I get to be involved icly even when I'm staffing. I personally find that a lot of back-end duties such as accepting apps, managing ads, faceclaims and the like only exist in some styles of rp culture, and aren't always needed for a quality rp. All I do on the back end of my discord rp is give members roles, address the rare problem member or app that doesn't fit when it appears, bump my ads on discord directories, and keep a document of long-term plot notes, and staff records to mark things as needed everything else falls in place through simply being involved in the community. The members are enjoying themselves, the rp is thriving, and muse is high. I always say lead by example so If i'm not involved, I can't expect members to be. If I'm not modeling expected rp and community behaviors, I can't expect members to follow suit, if I'm not reaching out to new members for rp from time to time, I can't expect the community to reach out to the others and not be cliquish. For me, staffing has always been about being present on the front end, and running things directly from there as much as possible, and for me, its always played a large role in keeping the rp thriving.

Edited by Kazetatsu

I am writing both characters and NPCs as requested by the story, writing the Chronicle, doing staff work... I have a little help in the staff department, but not much, and mainly related to coding and graphics, which I can't do.

cdadimage2.png

m75X5G.jpg

TC8kNCH.jpg7A5bb.pngsmallfrisson.gifaffy.gif SSbuttonnew.gifTIT7dF.png

I need @Arceuson my sites! I am just so tired all of the time now....

Here's the advantage of running very small sites with older writers. After all is set-up and running, there's usually very little to do. Reviewing apps has become just a matter of making sure they are  in-line with our site premise, timeline, and that no relationships have been set up with established characters without player permission. Ninety-nine percent of the time, my sites have very little OOC drama.

Now, I will say that back when I ran fandom sites with much larger groups of writers, it was not like it is now. Back then, I spent more time wrangling the herd than writing! ;)

• Love 2

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png  storm-shelter-button.png.45bd1e928f589f85d55d123de59b43aa.png

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Based on the system we use (Nova), there's not a lot of backend Admin work that needs to be done, which is fantastic for me. A lot of it boils down to connecting with players, and writing with them. Apps aren't too frequent, so I can take my time with them. I'd say maybe 5% of my time on a site is dedicated to Admin tasks.

geronimo.png

In my mind, if my admin time ever needs exceeds my rp time, I'm doing it wrong. It's why I automate everything I possibly can and empower members to do things (like thread archiving) themselves.

I don't think I've ever resented the time I need to spend on admin stuff.... except when it's been related to drama. 

• Love 1

rpa468x64.jpg.2437571bbace1df78339f7a59db520e3.jpg 

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

Realm of Roleplays  static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png

Pretty involved. Although it varies week by week about how much I do. I'm on the discord daily, posting, and doing things. One of the best ways to do things (and minimise stress) is to prioritize. If an application is ready? I will do it asap. Updating the face claims? That can be done whenever. Once it has been posted up the claim is in place and can be added later. 

The two main things I do for my community is chatting in Discord and posting/plotting with the site members. Updating things, newsletter, etc is all secondary and I have found my personal enjoyment of the site to be much higher. 

• Agree 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

I would not do the work that I do as a staff member if I did not love and have active involvement with the board's community and storylines. I'm far too selfish for that 😉

At the same time, the admin workload can be "a lot" at times - I've taken weeks off here or there, but I'm fortunate to have a staff team that allows for that

IKiE2z.png