What sort of roleplay writer are you?

Morrigan

What is your post speed?

It varies. I post at least once a week, usually two or three times although almost always to different threads. I don't like leaving any thread without a reply for more than two weeks, but it happens. I'm a slow writer. It usually takes me at least half an hour to write up a reply. 

How much do you write?

I tend to write 500+ words with most of my replies sitting at the 600-1,200 word range. I'm more than happy writing less if that's what fits, but I tend to post match and most of my writing partners tend to write longer posts themselves. 

Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner?

Like I said, I try to post match, but I don't think it comes down to a specific "amount" of writing so much as content that gives my partner something to respond to. 

How detailed are you?

I think I'm pretty detailed. Probably overly detailed at times. I have the tendency to need to know exactly why things are happening the way they are/the exact timeline of actions for my characters, and sometimes I need to stop myself from adding these additional details just to show I've thought about the logic of an action even if it's not necessary for me to write about it in that moment. Other times, I get frustrated with myself and write whatever even if I'm not 100% sure it makes sense but I don't want to waste anymore time on it. Both methods have their flaws and benefits. 

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

I sort of go between rapid fire and posting during the weekend due to my job, so it depends if I have to be at work or not. I tend to try and match my partners post length but I would save average is 400+. I tend to at least match the amount my partner has posted before I am okay with sending that post out. As far as details I tend to take that on a case by case basis. I really am a poster that plays thing by ear. So depending on the story and flow of things a lot of aspect of posting can change.

What is your post speed?

I'm not the fastest. I try to post something somewhere most days, but I spread myself a little thin so if I'm writing with someone they might get a post once or twice a week depending on how busy I am outside of RP as well.

How much do you write?

I usually write somewhere between 500 - 800 words for most replies, and generally over 800 words for starters, although this isn't entirely fixed because if the setting / plot / character(s) in that thread particularly get my muse going, then my word count can go far higher.

Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner?

There's no specific word count I like to reach for every post, but I like my posts to try to match my partner's. If they write me 800 words, then I try and reply somewhere in the 700 - 900 word range, and if they write me 2000+ then I want to give them an equal amount to work with in response. I think my informal rule is that if I'm within a hundred words of them, I can feel comfortable posting and not like I'm letting them down.

How detailed are you?

The main character I write at the moment is very focussed on smaller details, so I try to take that into account when I write posts for them and I end up becoming detailed about things that might not seem hugely relevant to the outside reader, but are to him, and this is especially the case with the background noises he might be hearing or smells that might particularly stand out. I like to describe the appearance of a room or building, but I only go into excessive detail about it in the first post in that setting, so if my character was sitting in a cafe with another's, I wouldn't be heavily describing the place every single time I posted, and mostly just point out changes in the environment. The one thing I do like to do in posts is describe what my character is wearing, but I don't like to just write a single paragraph which is just a mass of information about clothing, and I really hate brand namedropping. I try and drop these facts into other sentences where they fit organically, so instead of saying something like he tugged his jacket closer around him or she drummed her nails on the counter, I might want to say he tugged his black denim jacket closer around him or she drummed her red-painted nails on the counter. If they are wearing a designer brand, instead of outright naming it, I try to latch onto a feature that is prominent for that brand, so if they were wearing Louboutins, for example, I might drop in a comment at some point about how the soles of their shoes are bright red, and that really does the trick for me.

• I read this! 1

gQuvI9r.png

~ talmeides university of magic ~

plotrequestsdiscordface claimsadvertising ♦

What is your post speed?
Depends on muse, mood, and the thread itself/characters involved. I do try to match to my writing partner's post speed.  Sometimes the replies from them are quick and therefore so are mine; others times it takes awhile, and that happens.

How much do you write?
I never keep a word count, but it's usually six to nine sentences a paragraph. There are times that it is less, but my post length will match that of my writing partner; if I feel that at that moment it will not, then I will save that reply for later as those I am writing with deserve my best, and not a rushed up post for the sake of just having a reply there.

I just to match post length or go slightly beyond to show them that I do value the thread and their commitment to the story.

How detailed are you?
Insanely detailed. I enjoy delving into the emotions and thoughts, the reactions they have to other characters and their environment. There are other aspects I focus on as well depending on character.

What is your post speed?

This varies, of course. At my fastest, I'm responding in 30 minutes, at my longest, a couple of weeks. Every few days is more typical.

How much do you write?

Most of my posts are in the 300-600 word range. I think action posts are better to do on the shorter end, so you're not getting ahead of other players, and reflective posts can be as long as you want.

Not really. I write pretty much until I've said what I want to say. Sometimes I write too much and save some for the next post. As long as I respond to everything that needs responding to and feel that I've moved the thread forward in some way (but not too much), I'm good. I never look too closely at how much the last person wrote compared to me. I think what your character needs to say or do should be about that character and the situation, and nothing else.

How detailed are you?

Not always as detailed as I'd like to be. I tend to write good dialogue, and detailed emotional reactions for my characters, but I often forget and have to force myself to include the subtleties like the unconscious way they are physically reacting to their surroundings and other characters. Obviously this varies on the situation and I write in more detail for action sequences, and scene descriptions, but if two characters are sitting in a room talking, I'm not telling you the color of the curtains.

trWJFyW.jpg.ad3989be07828341d22b3ef27aef8cb5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What is your post speed?

Haaaaa. If I'm lucky, I'll sit down and write once a week. Maybe twice if I don't book out my free time and feel up to it. My post speed is a large problem but it's also the first warning new or potential writing partners will get from me: Don't expect me to respond within 72 hours. I won't and can't do it. Writing is my hobby and so I shall write when. I. feel. like. it. Some characters are easy and I will respond within the week. Others take a little more time. I'm a problematic human who needs people to be patient with her. xD 

How much do you write?

A minimum of... 550-600 words. Anything less and I'm impressed with myself. Again, it really depends on the muse. I guess I average around 800. And I have been known to kick out a post up to 2000. Which is horrible and requires apologies but if you're in the groove, you're in the groove. 

Nope! As long as I'm satisfied that I've responded enough to give them something to work with, I'm happy. 

How detailed are you?

>.> To detailed. Alot. Way too much. Depending on the character. I'm not a lit major. I'm not writing a novel. So I suppose I could be a little careless with the length of some descriptions but you know what? I rather love dark and moody prose and unfortunately, I get caught up in my posts and forget that this is meant to be a story, not a setting scene. 

"widows, ghosts, lovers sit and sing in the dark, arched marrow of me."
1396128257_Bloodlinespaidad.png.d09a675bc97e605f48b34846ff6d666c.png

What Is your post speed?

I have good and bad days-weeks. Sometimes a bad week distracts from my ability to post. Otherwise, if i'm having a good week I will tend to reply within a couple of days. It can take me 40 minutes to post up to 1 hour. But much of the time I post within a week, but some weeks are more difficult so there are certain weeks in a month that don't get much posting from me. 

How much do you write?

Usually it's no less than 3 paragraphs of juicy size. (which at a guess it no less than 500 words) I don't intend to do this, it's just the average my post minimum can be. So anything from 3 juicy paragraphs up to several paragraphs and reaching the 2k marker. I'm so sorry for people I post bomb with longer amounts. Sometimes the muse wants what it wants. 

Well, not really. I don't feel I've done enough if it's less than 3 paragraphs, but I don't fussy over length and content. So long as i've covered anything from above and give some action to react to for their own reply i'm happy. 

How detailed are you?

I think I give plenty of thread starter content to reply to. I try explaining the scene and what my character is doing alongside how they look. That way i've created a nice opener to work with. I don't give details where not needed; so I won't details what the pattern is on a dinner plate unless there's a reason for it. Like I'm describing the good china at a special event. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Post speed... Probably a couple times a day? I'm not as fast as others, but it's usually because I have to put in a lot of thought and I spent a long time on replies because of it. 

How much I write usually depends on my partner. I like to match! Personal preference. It kind of answers the next question too. 

As for detail... it depends. If I'm writing content to progress the scene/action, then less is more. If i'm focusing on a moment between characters, I add more!

spacer.png

I tend to post a little bit everyday because it's a good habit for me to be in to write everyday since I'm working on novels on the side. The word amounts depend on what I'm replying to. If there isn't a lot of substance to reply to then I struggle sometimes but I aim for at least three paragraphs worth whenever I post. I don't always make it through if the content is lacking. I'm not as good at description sometimes if I'm in a hurry. I can post slow or quick fire, neither of those bother me.

IPsm.png.77d22ae2f096e4ef69c14b1ce162881a.pngSWEsm.png.88017424c39d2a9e36870fe4cb92c6af.png

• 2 weeks later...

What is your post speed?

I usually reply to my threads within a matter of days, sometimes a week. But it can be longer than this sometimes, depending on the amount of muse that I have. However, recently I have been able to reply within a day or two with my usually quality posts. I believe what's the most important is that no one has ever complained about my speed in replying so I've always remained relaxed when it came to doing so.

How much do you write?

My posts usually range between 400-1000 words. It really depends on what's currently happening and on my role-playing partner; whether they want longer more defined posts or if they would rather simply rapid posts.

I believe that a good 50 words in difference would be my safe area. So if my partner gave me a 500 word post I won't be satisfied until I've written 450-550 words, depending on the plot and how intense the thread is getting.

How detailed are you?

I'm pretty detailed; you see what my character sees, what they feel, etc. But I like to think that my detailed posts are at least fun to read lol

What is your post speed?

Sometimes I post the same day, sometimes 2-3 weeks from your post. Basically anything  in that time frame. Depends on how strong a vision I have and how much I have going on at the time with other sites and real life. I try to post at least once a week on average when I don't have very many threads open across all the sites I'm on. There are periods of time when it takes more than a month to reply to a thread but those are threads with people who I know don't mind.

How much do you write?

On average 200 to 700 words, but can often go well over 1000+ words. It completely depends on the in-game situation; how much content it requires to have good substance, and how much the situation in question inspires me.

No. I just make sure I have addressed all the things that need adressing and given my partner decent content to build upon. How much that takes depends on the in-ga,e situation.

How detailed are you?

I love to dig into the situations and my characters' emotions/thoughts as well as make use of the surroundings and bring in NPCs if the situation has been just the two characters discussing for quite a while. Basically I want to paint a vivid picture of the scene whenever it suits the situation, and give more detail to an action if it's somehow important to a character in the situation. And I always, always write about my character's thoughts/emotions and sometimes branch out to a memory/flashback that is related to the current situation. So yeah, I can get very detailed. But it varies, because some situations are superficial and too much detail and branching out would feel out of place.

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

CHILDREN OF MERLIN - HARRT POTTER 1980S RPG
| Small app | Fluid time | Lots of species |

What is your post speed?

I am typically a pretty speedy poster. If I'm not at work or struggling with a bad brain day, I can post countless times a day, and my average time for writing out a post is probably about ten minutes. Occasionally, I will sit on a post for an hour or so if it's something particularly deep.

How much do you write?

This varies a lot for me. I don't really write fluff or filler in my posts - sometimes, all you need is a bit of dialogue. I think one-liners are underrated! Sometimes a character begs extra narrative, though.

Nope! I think as long as I've written something, whether through spoken word or action, that can engage the other writer/character and give them something useful to respond to, the amount of characters typed is no big deal.

How detailed are you?

This really depends on the character muse and situation for me. I have some characters who pay a lot of attention to their surroundings - what passing buildings look like, what they might be smelling or hearing, what people around them are doing, etc. I do tend to be more detailed when starting a thread in order to set the scene. Some characters are just, you know, frowning at a crack in the sidewalk sometimes.

https://passingstrange.net/images/misc/passingstrangebanner.png

• 1 month later...

What is your post speed?

It really varies on the situation, how busy/distracted I am, and the character. Some of my boys are like children in a toy store that have just been given a Red Bull and a puppy, and I can get out multiple massive posts per day. Other times, it can take me a solid week to respond.

How much do you write?

If its a good writing day and I'm in the zone, I can crank out 2k words without breaking a sweat and do that multiple times a day. On average, though, I'm around 700-1k words. It also really does depend on the character, as some of them have running internal monologues about literally everything, while others are a little more quiet on that front.

I try to roughly match my partner, though I play this one more fast and loose and not worry about it too much. Usually, I end up accidentally blowing well past what they wrote, and try to edit it down a little bit or send them a PM apologizing for the novel I just gave them lol

How detailed are you?

God. Yes. Most of my replies get at least a few sentences of just detail ripped out before I hit submit. Once I know the general idea of what's going on, I can picture it pretty vividly in my head and work on getting it onto digital paper. Sometimes I do have a hard time filtering out all the detail because I forget the typical things an allistic person would ignore/deem not noteworthy enough to include in a post.

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

• 2 weeks later...

What is your post speed?

It honestly varies. There are days I can post several times a day, but there are others days that I'm so busy that I can't reply at all. But I do try to reply as quickly as I can. It just depends on what's happening in my life and how into the roleplay I am.

How much do you write?

Again, that kind of varies. It depends on how much I get to work with from my partner(s) and how into the roleplay I am. But, on average, I seem to write somewhere between 700-1000 words.

Not necessarily. As long as I have given my partner(s) enough to go off of, I'm generally pretty happy. That and as long as I'm helping move the roleplay along.

How detailed are you?

I'm generally pretty detailed--especially when I'm describing a new location, clothing, etc. I feel as though I can get lazy about it sometimes, but for the most part I'm pretty detail oriented.

dreamcityrpgsig.png

What is your post speed? If I'm online when you post, I'll have a post back to you like within ten minutes or less. I type extremely fast. I'm not on much on the weekends, though, so you won't get as many posts Friday-Sunday.

How much do you write? No particular amount, but hardly ever more than 400-500 words. I'm just not that detailed of a writer, compared to some.

Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner? Nope. Well, I try to match my partner, usually, unless I know they 100% don't care how long my responses are.

How detailed are you? Not detailed enough. xD