What sort of roleplay writer are you?

Morrigan

I write as much as comes to the mind. Sometimes I write so little that I'm not happy with the post, so I push myself to write more before submitting it.

I used to obsess over word counts, trying to make sure my posts would reach over 100 words. I also let my OCD take over; I would try to make sure my word counts were in multiples of 5... Not anymore. I just write as I go along and I think it's helped a great deal with my skills.

Details definitely help add to the posts! I don't like it when people ignore certain details in their replies though. I once had someone assume my character was fully dressed, that it was morning, and that they were being bad when they were clearly distraught from a nightmare, trying to go for a job in the dead of night wearing only jogging shorts. That kind of ignorance, especially if continued, just kills the mood.

Courirnu // original small-town rp

What is your post speed?

It varies. If I'm feeling a thread, minutes. If my life is in car crash mode (which is more frequent than I like given my occupation), weeks.

How much do you write?

Again, it varies. Scene-setting posts can be in the hundreds; regular posts in the tens. Depends on the character, what kind of thread it is, and how much I need to convey at that particular time.

Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner?

Nope. I don't like verbosity for the sake of it, and I don't play with people that equate length with value.

How detailed are you?

I only give details that are relevant, and I like to stagger them out over multiple posts than do a big info dump. Also, because I can't visualise, I prefer to leave certain things up in the air for my partner to fill in the blanks however they see it; it really doesn't matter to me if they imagine my character's dress as red or blue, and I'm not going to waste words mandating it.

image.png.983b918f46a287076416c1e642250e6a.png

I've been abroad doing research this summer, and thanks to restrictions on medication, I have to make a 30-day supply of Ritalin last for 90 days, so these things have been affected by only taking my meds when needed instead of daily. On medication, I can get a post out in 15-20 minutes. Off, either ten or an hour because I'm either hyperfocused or distracted. My record for one day was 24 posts spread across threads and partners, and my wrist was so swollen that I couldn't write for two days. Don't break your bones, kids!

The word count minimum on-site is 250. I don't think I've ever written a 250-word post in my life. 400 is the bare minimum, 500 preferred, and I try to at least match my partner. Recently I've been going longer than they have and I'm trying to scale back to make sure I'm saying what I want to say and not just padding for the sake of it. One of my favorite writing partners and I have consistently been hitting over 1K, but I try not to go that long unless I know the other person wants to read all of it.

Most of my posts are dialogue and introspection. I tend not to be big on detailing setting or action unless it's a fight or smut, the exception being if I picture something ultra-specific in my head and need to write it out. Usually guitars, cause I'm a music nerd. I do generally try to be aware of the positioning of all my character's limbs so that they don't accidentally try to do something impossible.

• Agree 1

The speed of my replies usually depends on the level of interest I have in a thread. If I'm super duper interested and loving something majorly (hasn't happened too often lately :c ) then I'll probably reply the same day or multiple times the same day if my partner's doing the same. But generally I reply to all my threads every two days or so. 

I literally don't have an average word count for my posts whatsoever. If a ton of description and internal monologue breaks the pace of the thread then my posts will be a few lines, while if lots of description is warranted I could go crazy and post hundreds of words. I'm not someone who tries to always have long posts because that just doesn't always flow well when you read back over a thread. 

1226376502_bloodshonouradCropped(1).png.f99194955d2562e42a6ee995f506e7b6.png

• 2 weeks later...

What is your post speed?

This really depends on what is going on in my non-internet world, but I'll average about 1-2 posts a week. If I'm on a roll or in a particularly juicy section in my RP, it'll be once a day. However, during slow periods where my motivation to write has been lacking, I've taken a month to reply. Whatever speed I'm currently working at, I do my best to let my partners know what's going on. Even if I'm not going as quickly as they'd prefer, at least they aren't left in the dark. 

How much do you write?

I typically write between 3 - 5 paragraphs depending on the scene. I've written over 2000 words for some moments and only a few hundred for others. 

Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner?

I do like to aim for at least a couple paragraphs, but I won't over-write if it isn't needed. Writing seven paragraphs when only two are needed slows down the plot and can also make reading your post a slog for your partner. I've had partners in the past who would write well, but they'd write ten paragraphs a post, keeping scenes going for much longer than necessary. Like. C'mon, let's get going. 

How detailed are you?

As detailed as I need to be.

umbra-galaxy.png

18+ multi-genre community. no application. no word count.

I'm a fairly punchy writer, and I prefer dialogue and actions to extensive exposition. I'll bang out 100 words in 10 minutes or so and call it a day. I give as much detail as is called for, maybe a little more if I have inspiration for a particular topic.

prombutton.gif.4e1b8312b0a3ebfb0391e63b7642d233.gif *  
{  18+ star trek | sandbox | no wc/ac | lazy lit   } NOVA  }

• 3 weeks later...

I've been both the purple prose novella writer and the succinct, to the point one, too much so in either extreme. I think it's only because I'm so anxious to give my writing partners my best, especially if I feel they've been doing their part, but I've also been told that I can write way too much. I think I'm at a point now where I'm trying to strike a fine balance between using my prose efficiently but not excluding the little things, the little observations a person would make while walking down the street with a friend. It's really difficult if I'm honest.

• Love 1
  • Cheers 2

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

I do believe in quality over quantity? Although some people can write some really well worded beautiful things, I don't always think it's necessarily needed for me to hit my partner with extensive descriptive posts, especially if I've described your character prior in the same rp? Which is not bad, but for my own preference I tend to do one good description near the beginning, maybe what my character looks like if they've never met or what they're wearing in the setting, and will work around my descriptions later in the thread as needed to reference to.

That said my posts end up around 2-3 paragraphs loosely, just because that's what I'm comfortable writing and what naturally comes once I start and finish. But I don't push myself to more or less than that or stress too much about length. So long as I feel I've given my partner something substantial to work with for a response and I don't feel like I'm killing an rp or putting pressure on them to constantly conjure content for us, I'm content. Haha

• Like 1

I mostly go with the flow about my roleplaying. Sometimes my posts can be short, sometimes I have a few paragraphs. It's mostly in the mood really and what's going on in the roleplay.

• 2 weeks later...

What is your post speed?

- At a minimum, I'll usually reply at least once a week to all of my threads unless I'm having a serious bout of writer's block. Regardless of how much detail or length I put into a post, it doesn't take me long to draft them. 

How much do you write?

- Depends 100% on the other roleplayer. For a starter post, I usually do the minimum required to set the scene and nothing more, something to get the other person going. After that, it depends 100% on what they give me and what they prefer. I can do short and to the point, and I can also do long, lengthy, J. R. R. Tolkien style. Or I can do something in-between. I basically bounce off of whatever my partner is doing. Sometimes if a scene is really intense (murders, angst, heavy drama), I'll add more detail regardless of whether we're doing rapid-fire or not. 

- NOPE! Quality over Quantity for me, always. 

How detailed are you?

- This falls in line with something I mentioned above but it depends on the scene and who I'm writing with. 

• 2 weeks later...

What is your post speed?

I've been told I'm a relatively fast writer so usually I post at my partner's speed.  If my partner is into rapid-fire and I'm available for it, I'll happily do so, and I enjoy it greatly.  On the other hand I have writing partners I love to bits who lead busy lives and post very slowly, and it's alright.  I  take that as a  chance to write with increased care and attention, and follow their lead. 

How much do you write?

I try not to write less than 500 words. My upper limit is between 2500 and 3000, which I rarely write.I've written posts in the 

How detailed are you?

Quite, I think. I care about my character's personality and fiction. I make a list for past role playlists. I also keep a list of things that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the type who does role-plays in a conversational and response/reactive kind of way. Most responses are short in each post as we address one another or the story situation at hand. All in all, the bulk of exposition that we normally write comes at the start of each major rp thread. 🙂

22JD6zG.png

15 Years Online! Join the legacy!

What is your post speed?
I can write a new RP post at least once every day or other day, though during the school year my frequency drops to a meager once a week, unfortunately.

How much do you write?

I tend to write my RP posts around 1000 words, give or take a few hundred.

At least 500 words.

How detailed are you?

I only write what is necessary. I only describe actions that are necessary -- and by that, I mean I won't describe every single blink, head tilt, etc. -- just the actions that convey information about the character's thoughts and feelings at that moment. Of course, I'm pretty detailed when describing the character's feelings.

I'm the sort of writer who does as she pleases when it comes to activity. I keep a community alive because the people love it so and keep it going when I'm off in my own world. 

I write when I want, and with whomever I please. I write like I live my life and when the haters gonna hate I just continue to play this song:

Still Standing, Bitch!

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

My post speed highly depends on my real life, but also how much my partner inspires me with their posts. I have also surprised a few people how quickly I can write up a post after they write their own. Sometimes I can't help myself after reading a post and I just have to write a response immediately because it sparked an idea I didn't want to forget.

As for how much I write, I write how much its needed. Sometimes a wall of text is inconvenient. I believe there's more than just filling up space with words. Sometimes all you need is two paragraphs. Other times you send 20 lengthy paragraphs that's paired up with situations and NPCs with genuine interest and dialogue.

I don't really have that for the reasons I have stated earlier. I always give the amount I think its needed without forcing either myself or my partner.

And I can be pretty damn detailed if I want to bring a scene to life. I'm usually like this around appearances or emotionally strong situations and inner turmoils. Those scenes are my favorite to write.

bram stokers dracula GIF