What sort of roleplay writer are you?

Morrigan

What is your post speed?

Honestly, depends on a number of factors - how much I've got going on irl, how many threads I'm juggling, etc. And because I'm human, how much interest I've got in the thread. Still, I try to get replies off for my partners within a few days.

How much do you write?

A few hundred words. I used to be into the big meaty posts every reply if I could, but these days I 'll write as much as I feel is satisfactory to convey what I want without getting too longwinded. I probably average around 500ish words.

Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner?

Not really, though I do usually try to match what my partner gives me - if they're doing short posts, I'll be more succinct to keep things even. If they post longer, I'll loosen up, to an extent. Though of course, it depends on what's going on in the thread.

How detailed are you?

Moderately, I guess? I try to describe the important bits, with some color to help flesh a scene out, without getting too bogged down into the nitty gritty of things. But it can vary - I might be more detailed in an opening post, or one that conveys some important turning point, for example, than one that's mid-conversation. I do, however, like to describe little tics my characters have during interactions and try to keep those consistent. 

Edited by Rugs

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast

What is your post speed?

It depends for me. Lately I have been slower than expired molasses, all crusted around the rim of the jar. But when I really get into an rp, I can post a few times a week. I don't always rapid fire, because I have the attention span of a small child surrounded by toys and shiny things a lot of the time. 

How much do you write?

As much as what comes to mind, honestly. A better explanation would be, depending on what the scene calls for, I can write a few paragraphs or a few sentences. 

Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner?

Not all the time, no. Usually I try to read over their post carefully and make sure that my character(s) react accordingly. Once I make sure that everything is in order, then I can say I'm satisfied with a post. 

How detailed are you?

It depends, but mostly I'm short and sweet. I try not to stress too much over details. I keep things simple, having my character(s) react to things, making sure I acknowledge things in my writing. I just try to keep things on track without going overboard. 

• 1 month later...

What is your post speed?
It varies, real life being the biggest dictator of how fast a post might come but there are other factors such as the obvious how many do I owe, would my writing partner prefer faster/slower responses and the complexity of the post at any given point. I will often sleep on a post after it’s finished if it is dealing with sensitive issues because I am prone to posting and then realising anxiously at 3am that oh crap I missed something, or the tone of a particular point wasn’t quite what I was aiming for. Overall though, I aim to respond to posts within 1 - 3 days and never any longer than a fortnight (actual absences from rp excluded).

Note: I have 2.5 characters on a private board, so my thread tally is incredibly manageable. 

How much do you write?
Depends on the post progress and what is needed and for which character I’m writing for; some are more wordy than others I usually average out at 400 - 800 words for a standard post give or take, and quicker rapid fire esque hovers at the 150 - 400 word mark.

Nope. I do quickly suss out the word count to what I’m replying to, this isn’t to meet or beat, but to generally have a ballpark figure to kinda hover about going into the post. So long as I feel like I’ve addressed points of importance and offer progress to give my writing partner something to respond to I am good regardless of length.

How detailed are you?
Depends on the character and the character he/she is responding to with a healthy does of whom the writer is (I'm a sponge and come to mimic habits and styles, and that flows through to those who may be more/less detail specific). I typically aim to be descriptive foremost for scene setting or character fluctuations that might indicate thoughts or actions; I don’t want to be so detailed that it comes across as utter fluff prose that detracts from the momentum of the thread. 

I think the only caveat to detail is with explicit scenes of a sexual nature, I will (albeit rarely) explore sex scenes, however I do not get into the details of what’s happening below and instead focus on their surrounds or a characters thoughts and emotions. I have reasons, but that would be an entirely different thread.

Edited by Morpheus

What is your post speed?

I try my best to reply in a timely manner, because I don't want to keep my partners waiting on me or let the thread stall and die out. I reply within a few days, usually. Sometimes, "a few days" can become "a couple weeks" -- but that depends on what all I've got going on IRL, and how into the thread I am.

How much do you write?

With replies, I tend to generally match my writing partner. Often, this seems to be about 200-300 words. If I'm writing an opening post, though, it will likely be double that, to set the scene and establish the plot.

I try to match my partners' post lengths most of the time, but what's more important (I think) than word count is: Did I give the other person/people enough data to work with? Did I leave them enough information to craft a decent reply for me? If I can safely say yes, then I mostly don't worry about how long or not long a post of mine is.

How detailed are you?

Well, it depends. If I'm writing a fight scene, I write about how my character's body is moving, what they're trying to do with their attack, who they're trying to hit, whether or not the weather is affecting the fight, and so on. If my character is at the mall with her girlfriend, on the other hand, I'm not going to go into too many specifics -- shopping is far less complicated than choreographing a fight scene!

I don't want someone to have to ask me a question that should have already been answered in my character's post because I missed a detail here or there; however, I'm not going to just throw information into my post for the sake of padding it -- I really only add certain details if they are pertinent.

Basically, I'm as detailed as I feel I need to be to paint the picture of what's going on. 

user posted image  

What is your post speed? I feel like this is relative, but I can usually get about 5-18 posts out in one day depending on how much time I have and who I'm writing for. There is definitely something to be said about chemistry between characters as well as chemistry between writers. If I find someone I jive with, I can make it work well.

How much do you write? I write daily, and like mentioned above, usually about 5-18 posts a day depending on variables like what's going IRL.

Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner? I don't like expectations. That said, on most of the sites I've written on there's always been some kind of word count, so I would say anything from 350 words to 2000. If I have a lot of emotional attachment to what's going on, my characters are going to take that and run with it. 

How detailed are you? I've been told I am a very introspective writer. I will mention appearance, but only in the first post as an introduction or if anything ever changes like the character decides to take off her clothes, put more on, etc. Otherwise, I am more of a "inner monologue" kind of writer with a heaping dash of emotional introspection. So, I'm not never really sure what kind of writer that makes me. 

Edited by Skadi

addds.gif.2e6b2697e05de6bbe39af8e65a3e5840.gif

I jump all across the board in all categories. Depends on the thread, the character I'm writing/writing-with, and whatever is going on IRL. I have a career that basically demands I marry my job, on top of being married to my husband's equally over demanding job and our toddler. So I can post 3 times in a day....or once every two weeks. Three sentences to keep things moving, or half a page of awesomesauce chapter material. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What is your post speed?

Multiple times a day! (Like... mmm... 5-20 posts each day, average is probably 9 to 11)

How much do you write?

Five full sentences to a couple thousand words depending on the post

Not really? My rule of thumb is five full sentences because that makes a paragraph regardless of wordcount.

I write as little or as much as I feel is necessary for each individual post.

How detailed are you?

It depends on the post

jAV3hKd.png

• 4 weeks later...

What is your post speed? Multiple posts a day, usually How much do you write? 50-500 words, on average. Sometimes less. Do you have a specific amount of writing you have to do to feel like you've properly replied to your partner? No. I did a zero word post once. How detailed are you? Not very? I like to be concise.

For me it depends on the story, my partner(s) and what the moment needs as far as details and length are concerned

I usually pop out 2-4 paragraphs per character but if a story requires more (because for example we're scene setting or still heavily introducing things) I'll write more and if it's better to write less, I write less.

For posts, it depends on what's going on in my life and my partners. Obviously I can't post without a reply but I try to post once a day. If I get busy, I post less.

While I understand that some people feel they need to write a certain amount, I usually don't. I try to post at least a paragraph but if I don't get enough to reply too, I can't really do much about that. However, if this continues for a few posts where I basically can't reply to anything going on, I'm likely to drop out

• 2 weeks later...

What is your post speed?

Depends on what's going on, but usually when I have nothing to do, have a break, or whomever is replying, I can get it out 5 times per hour a day, sometimes more, with characters I really click with.

How much do you write?
They can generally be quite beefy, longest was 12 paragraphs.  During battles, it's even more fun.

I like to give at least three paragraphs.

How detailed are you?

Not much, I just mention the "needed to know basis" + with their thoughts.  I don't like to explain much.

Edited by Camy
Wrong word.

What is your post speed?

i try to get replies to my threads within a week, but it's usually sooner than that

How much do you write?

it varies really. i'd say maybe two meaty paragraphs is the usual, but i often go longer, especially when just starting a thread and setting the scene

not really; i try to match length or give my partner something substantial to work with.

How detailed are you?

very detailed. i love writing a lot; i love making the setting come alive with details about what characters hear/see/smell and ofc what they think

What is your post speed?

My post speed varies incredibly. Some days, I am rapid fire, others I may be a day or two between posts. This is mostly because I am chronically ill and I post as I am able to.

How much do you write?

I try to write 200+ words per post, however not every system I use has a word count, so I aim for three or more paragraphs. Typically, I match my partner's length.

Yes. I feel like I need to write at least three paragraphs in order to properly express my intent when it comes to replying.

How detailed are you?

I try to be detailed, but not so much to the point that it appears as if I am simply attempting to write purple prose.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm known to be quick at replying, faster than most of the people I rp with generally. I always write on the board, never in a word doc or not pad, it takes me too far out of the character and situation. The skin, images, face claim for me are very immersive and important to my enjoyment. How much I write is directly linked to both the story being told and the reply I am working off. I like to give at least as much as I got, and I find it far easier to write more if the story is something I am enjoying and invested in. 

What is your post speed?

I'm generally fast to respond, and I do enjoy a good paced role play. Instant messaging makes this easy these days. I hated having to reload Nanowrimo pages when I was first introduced to role playing. Now I don't have to hate that anymore, because I simply don't need to. However, when I have a long sprint of writing with a couple of buddies, and we go on for hours, I'm perfectly satisfied, and able to just go without responding for several days. In fact, I tend to circle back around to personal works since such spent creativity somehow inspires more.

How much do you write?

I am always constantly challenging myself to write more. I once had a buddy that challenged be, and all the questions he asked just sort of stuck. What is my character feeling? How can I get my reader to relate and possibly feel that way too? How does s/he display said emotions? What are my character's thoughts? How does that give insight to their thought processing? Is my character living in the moment, or looking ahead? What can I leave my reader with to infer? These are normally my bare minimum. Even in a bout of writer's block, I always get at least a couple of paragraphs down.

Absolutely! My partner needs something to work with! If I haven't given that to him, then I haven't written enough. Likewise, I expect the same in return. If I don't get it, the whole thing just gets really messy, vague, and honestly, a bit worthless. I don't like to put my time into something that ultimately holds no meaning, emotion, or value. It's like have a one sided conversation in which the other person isn't even pretending to be interested! Rude!

How detailed are you?

As detailed as I possibly can in that given moment in time. Sometimes I fail at the details, but sometimes, I end up with a masterpiece! I love, love, love excellent works of foreshadowing! Enough to bring the puzzle pieces together, but not so much that things are obvious. I want a good "aha!" moment! I occasionally even get this by accident, which is almost more exciting! Still, I find myself lacking, particularly at specific times of the day... 

The world could always use a splash more color and a tidbit more light!

On 6/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, Morrigan said:

What is your post speed?

How much do you write?

How detailed are you?

My speed varies as I'm a single mom of 4, full time college student, full time graveyard shift worker, and trying to maintain full time writing capabilities. I think I'm doing pretty good until the times my school overloads me with work then I slow down. But usually I'll error daily with the attempt to post but almost guaranteed to post bomb weekly. 

My word counts vary from 100-1000 words. It all depends on muse, as well as whatever I'm replying to. If my writing partners don't give me much to go on, my replies tend to be smaller. And then I feel bad. Or if my writing partners are rushing  me.

When I give about 3 paragraphs then I feel I've adequately replied. 

I tend to get really detailed.