Character Apps - What You Hate to Write

Dragon

I can't stand the personality sections of an app... I can't stand it. I don't fully know a characters personality until I write them a few posts or maybe do some back and forth in chat. Even when it's optional, I'm not a fan because then I feel like a jerk for not wanting to do it. Petition for no more personality!  XD

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Love 1
  • Preach it! 1

spacer.png

Will you be another face in the night? 

18+ | 333 Rating | No Word Count | No Activity Check | Diverse Species 

Home | Plot | Rules | Species | Claims | Site Trailer

Honestly, I just dislike apps in general. XD 

I’ll write little ones on my sites just to give someone to go off plotting wise, but I really like leaving things vague except for what might be commonly/obviously known (basic info, professions, prominent family members, etc).  The character you’re playing with isn’t going to know someone’s life history or whatever, so why should the player unless it comes up? Having super detailed histories and personalities just takes away the suspense!

I really really love revealing things in IC posts. Like, you’re gonna have to write/plot with me to really know more detailed stuff about my characters. 

So, I guess if I have to write one, I prefer the option to leave it vague!

(Sample posts in apps are also the worst. Woooooorst.)

• Preach it! 1

bTDTsG.gif.f2d286e6c6668fd4f93fa5a567cc5748.gifoQIrcP.gif.010e02e33d462604451dbec4fda5b757.gif

Likes and Dislikes and hobbies, even personalty types or quirks and things like that. I hate writing personalities and histories. Like i just hate it so much.

• Agree 1

user posted image                                                                                              

I have a great dislike for interview apps and apps including too much code.

It's not that I'm not code savvy, because I'm alright at it, I just don't like sorting through all the tags and so forth to find what's supposed to be filled in. It makes my head swim looking at those templates.

Interview applications just make me want to cry. Writing consistently in the first person feels like talking on end about myself rather than the character, and I hate talking about myself. An interview format only makes it worse.

I prefer a good profile app with the classic history/appearance/personality fields.

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

To jump on the band-wagon, I really don't like required appearance sections. Honestly, I don't like structured applications. As an admin, I prefer to read free-style apps anyways. I'm looking to see how you write and how well you grasp your character, especially since I work in canon heavy fandoms. I don't want to know what color their eyes are or have the same format for every. single. application. Because I read a lot of them. 

I also dislike having sexuality on my apps or in my profile fields. Even though I have them now, it was not my decision to include but another staffers. I don't think they are necessary, because it shouldn't be used as a way to define your characters plot-ability. And I think a lot of people browse through apps and look for the sexuality, instead of offering to throw the characters in a thread to see what kind of relationship (not talking strictly sexual or romantic) can be formed. 

I also hate shippers. They're a lot of work but I use them anyway because I have a group of members who use them primarily to plot. 😅

I've never enjoyed writing character histories. Now it's  the who biography writing stuff in general. I'm not going to force someone to write something if I honestly won't read it. I like learning about characters through rp posts and stuff.

• 2 months later...
Guest Moxxi

I really dislike the history portion of the application. If it's optional I skip it every time. With new characters, I like them to build themselves over time. This includes their history. I just don't like having every little thing panned out, I like to see where the character goes and them to tell me where they came from over time. 

I can't stand apps that make you list out X number of likes and dislikes that your character has, usually random things like "nutmeg" or "the Yankees." I don't tend to know a lot of that stuff until I play the character a lot, and even then, most of it never comes up in play. It just feels like I'm throwing stuff at the wall and trying to see what sticks.

In a similar vein, I don't like personalities that have you put lists of positive and negative traits as opposed to doing it paragraph-style. Words like "stubborn" and "intelligent" mean nothing -- what does their stubbornness make them do? Is their intelligence more a jack of all trades kind of thing, or are they highly specialized in one field?

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 2

Apps that require you to have a face claim or picture image in general for appearance. I like to write it out and have my partner determine what they think my character looks like in their mind. 

Also, I agree with River. While I don't mind likes and dislikes, often times, on apps that require it, I do feel like I'm just throwing things in as filler to meet the requirement. 

Agreeing with the likes/dislikes lists thing. Sometimes I have a good idea of a couple of likes or dislikes... but make me list a whole pile of both? lol, not until I've played them for a while. 

Really abstract questions tend to trip me up, too. Idk if I've ever seen it on an actual app, but stuff like "if your character was a vegetable, what would they be" and stuff like that I find on random character questionnaires... why.

• LOL 2