How long do you review an app for?

Gothic

How long does it generally take you to review an application? 

How many edits do you permit someone to make before you reject them (if you do eventually reject them)? 

If you reject, why do you reject the application? What makes you reach that point. 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

It usually doesn't take me more than twenty minutes, to be honest. I'm a fast reader and most apps are relatively short without any content that comes near to breaking/bending rules. 

I have a three strikes rule. I'll pend an app three times (not including any clarifications needed or questions asked) before denying an app. And when I do send a pend message, I do my best to offer alternatives to whatever the person wants to do, that fits within site lore. And I tell the person that they can ask any questions and I'll be available to help them brainstorm changes if necessary. I won't handhold them or walk them through changes step by step, but I'll definitely offer ideas. 

Other than an app that's been repeatedly pended, the only thing I'd reject/deny is an app that broke the rules. For example, copying parts of a canon's wiki or apping a character type that isn't allowed. And in that case, what else do you expect, really? 

• It usually takes me about an hour since I take notes and write down questions as I go. I try to get all notes and changes on the first go so there's few delays. 

How many edits do you permit someone to make before you reject them (if you do eventually reject them)? 

• Unless the app is just beyond horrible (breaks all the rules and lore), we don't have any limits. 

If you reject, why do you reject the application? What makes you reach that point. 

• If the person is argumentative when we request edits. I do everything in my power to accept bios without letting one person get away with something we held a hard line with on other players. 

My Note.

• As an Admin, I feel my job is to do all I can to help our members. I dislike rejecting character bios so I will go out of my way to work with someone. What I will not take is someone being rude and argumentative over their new character. 
  • Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

We have two of us that look over the apps. It usually takes no more than twenty or so minutes for both of us to look it over (if we're both online) but to be fair... we're snooping the shit out of the apps as they are written as well as talking to the people about their ideas (normally) as they go. So we have a decent handle on who they are by the time the app is ready for review.

Because there are two of us, we run through any changes/adjustments in one go, so there's not a bunch of back and forth (we've yet to have anyone come back twice for edits) so as of yet there is no ruling on that. 

I will say: We've had a player leave because their app didn't fit within our lore and THEY decided not to edit and leave. And we've had someone wait overnight because we were totally asleep when the app was finished, and one that finished but didn't tell us 😛. But yeah, there's usually no delay.

The past is a place of reference, not residence.

I have a good idea of the lore and setting so app review doesn't take much more than a readover. Co-admins also have the power to review apps... only if something is super strange or off do we stop and ask someone else to read the app first... otherwise we just approve them solo.  When I sign on I will review new apps before I do anything else because whoever wrote that app is excited and wants to start writing on my site! It personally frustrates me when app review takes a long time or the admin puts it off but is still doing other things like posting or a bunch of chatting.

I want people on my site who want to write, so if something -does- need to be changed, I will walk them through it if they need me to do that. The only time I would consider not helping someone finish an app or giving them multiple chances are if they were getting rude or mean about it. The setting is the setting, and while we try to be loose and let people have their own interpretations, there are a few things that just won't roll or obvious historical flaws or something... then they will need to change it. I've never outright rejected an application except for a member who copy and pasted their characters personality and history word for word onto a new character (and they were still writing the other character, it wasn't like they were rehashing a shelved character, just didn't want to come up with a different story).

Two out of four admins have to approve an app before it can be accepted. I'd say as a general rule we try to either approve or send out edits within 48 hours of an app being completed, with only small variations due to staff LOAs or time zone differences. Every so often we need one specific admin to look at an app, if it falls within their knowledge base or if the character in question is related to theirs (e.g. I was specifically requested to review an app for my character's cousin).

Technically applications are rejected after two rounds of edits, but that's a very loose rule. We try to work with people to make a character that fits into the site but that the player also wants to play. Usually if an app is "rejected," it just means that the player didn't want to make edits and stormed off.

Common things we ask to edit: numerical caps on super strength and super speed, not talking to players of related characters before writing the app, inconsistencies with site canon, generally overpowerd characters (especially magic characters), generally not following directions or improperly filling out a section

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

About five minutes.

How many edits do you permit someone to make before you reject them?
Editing is only necessary to ensure canon compliance, so as many as is needed.

Trolling, bigotry, empty forms. That's about it. 

prombutton.gif.4e1b8312b0a3ebfb0391e63b7642d233.gif *  
{  18+ star trek | sandbox | no wc/ac | lazy lit   } NOVA  }

I'm not sure if you mean from the time it's submitted until final approval, or the time it takes to actually read the thing. In my last game that just wrapped, we tried to get all apps reviewed and replied to (whether for approval or revisions) within 48 hours, but there were 3 and then 2 of us doing the reviewing together, all on different schedules, so it varied. An older game I adminned was about the same, with 3 people reviewing. My personal preference is to have at least one other person reviewing an app if I can, so I can get another perspective.

As for the time it takes to read an actual app, that varies on the length. 15 minutes at a minimum, as most folks I've reviewed tend to have a lot to say.

This varies. If the person seems like they're a good egg and maybe just haven't communicated some things as well as they could have, I'm very willing to give multiple chances to revise. Writing an app can be harrowing. If the person isn't a jerk, I want to find a way to guide them through the process if at all possible.

If you reject, why do you reject the application? What makes you reach that point?

There are really only 2 reasons: The player comes off as a jerk and has been disrespectful, or the player's ability to write prose is rudimentary. I am very much about players of varying writing ability writing together because I believe we help each other improve, but I have in my over a decade of being an admin had to decline an app because it was immediately clear the player was struggling with things like very basic grammar.

A few hours.  I don't like leaving them to sit for over 24.  I'm honestly just checking for game compliance rather than 'is this absolutely stellar writing'. 

I don't really hold people to a hard limit.   If the writer simply seems confused, but eager, I'll give them unlimited number of re-writes.   But I'm really only looking for canon compliance, and to make sure common triggers are marked.

If you reject, why do you reject the application? What makes you reach that point?

If the concept itself doesn't work within the game (like someone once applied with a medieval fantasy character to a modern supernatural game so like... the very core of it simply didn't work in the genre), or if the concept relies on some sort of bigotry, it'll get rejected.  No second chances on that second one.

I'd also reject apps if the player themselves just seems like a jerk.  So far that hasn't happened.

If i am awake when the app goes up i can get it reviewed within ten minuets. Im a super fast reader and hate making a member wait to be accepted. (one of the main reasons that i once switched to no app/no acceptance if we had apps). 

But when it comes to what happens when it comes to pending i think it goes on individual basis, and how willing a person is in regards to that process. If a potential member shows they are willing and able to adapt or change whatever is needed in regards to making their characters fit then i will try and help until they get the character right. 

If the person is unwilling or blatantly makes it obvious they aren't going to listen to you about what needs to be changed so the character isn't breaking site lore, then after that first pend? sometimes its just best to ask them to leave there and then because it becomes an almost back and forth of constantly telling them that this thing they are doing breaks the lore and they are constantly coming back as to why they won't change it and why it works.

• Agree 2

user posted image                                                                                              

I take literally 5-10mins maximum to read an application if I'm online when it's been posted/completed. I've gotten less and less fussy when it comes to reviewing applications. If an app is super long, I'm not gonna lie, I'll probably just skim over it and slap an approval stamp on it unless something glaringly world-breaking jumps out at me. 

If there is a reason for me to deny an application and the person who wrote it is willing to change things, then I don't have a set number of edits they're allowed to have. The only time I'd straight up deny someone totally is if they were trying to make a character that just cannot work on a site and weren't willing to make changes to allow the character to fit. 

Edited by Runa
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

1226376502_bloodshonouradCropped(1).png.f99194955d2562e42a6ee995f506e7b6.png

• 1 month later...

Apps don't take me long. I read fast. However, I don't have patience for people who are clearly applying things that don't belong on the site. It doesn't happen often but occasionally you get someone who is straight-up not reading your lore. You get a few edits to change it before I deny it outright and tell you to start again. There are only a few things that would drive me to that point. Basically, you'd have to be applying someone from, say, Warhammer 40k instead of our D&D base, and refusing to accept that we don't allow those kinds of characters. I don't really pend for any other reason besides lore-breaking. I've seen sites with stupid pends, and I'm not going to be one of them.

I review new apps as soon as I can get to a computer, and on average, they take me 10 minutes to process unless they're something seriously wrong with it. In terms of edits, take all the time you need.

I have never met a player, however Extra(TM), however ridiculous, that I could not outlast in the apping process 😉

• LOL 1

IKiE2z.png

I have never denied an application. I will let them keep editing it until it works. 

On my site though we have a 72 hour clause (basically we can take up to 72 hours from when you finish it to review and get back to you). That isn't because we're reviewing it for 72 hours, but because sometimes a staff member can't get on immediately to check it out for you. We definitely try to take care of things same day though.

When it comes to the actual review times, this really depends. Sometimes it'll take 15 minutes or so, but that's if there isn't anything needing to be fixed. I've had apps take almost an hour before because I had to make so many notes of things needing to be fixed. 

I don't see a point in denying applications at all if the user is willing to keep making edits until it's perfect. But I also don't create applications that are a chore. TBH if I ever felt like somebody was having such a hard time with the application that it was taking a weeks worth of edits to fix, my first question to myself and my staff would be "Did I do something to the app to make it super difficult? Or is it actually the character that needs more clarification?" That way I'd know if the issue was the app, or the user. And if it's actually the user, that kind of conversation would eventually lead to better ways of helping them get over whatever issues they might be having.