Do you ever use Communications or Internet forums?

Morrigan

• Admin

So I'm working on a site with a friend and I was reviewing what we needed for forums and one is possibly a Internet/Communications forum. Which it came up that I wasn't sure that it was a necessary addition or not.

I personally love them for like text threads and stuff or internet chat rooms type things, but I think they can be equally served in a standard forum in the location of the topic starter too.

I've found, in the past, that those forums are the least used, and honestly with technology, can lead to the characters meeting up anyways so why not just keep the communication and the meet up in the same thread.

How do you feel? Do you use them? Do you find them useless?

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I have a gossip board and a letters/journals boards. They go through phases of use, mind you, AeRo is historical. 

If I had a modern or a futuristic game, I think it would be fun to have social media on a board that is used. Characters could meet up using it or catfish someone or something. Plenty of options of plots that come out through it.  

• Agree 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Use 'em. Love 'em. A lot of them end up with the characters meeting in that same thread anyway, but plenty of them help facilitate the unique communications that happen online.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

58 minutes ago, Somniac said:

Use 'em. Love 'em. A lot of them end up with the characters meeting in that same thread anyway, but plenty of them help facilitate the unique communications that happen online.

I love communications too but sadly they never really took off in games I've been in. 😛

When I renovated my wild west site, I added a Letters Home & Journals forum for random IC writing. It was mainly a placeholder until I could think of another good location forum. However, I'll leave it in place and see what happens. I might convert it to a Flashbacks forum for writing IC threads that occur prior to the actual in-game dates.

Anyway, one of the most popular items on my old Nova based RP sites was the Personal Logs where people could randomly write character musings. This is why I thought I'd give it a try at my 3 RP forum sites.

• Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I have an IC social media channel on my discord rp and it blew up big. Members' ocs all have usernames, and internet personalities, and chat about things going on in the other parts of the rp. it accomplishes several things,
- the collaboration of ocs who have different information about the same plot
- the spread of remote news that ocs might otherwise not hear about
- a way to arrange ic meetups that might otherwise never happen
- a chance to see how characters meme, flame and troll one another

basically its like an ic version of discord or a chat board inside of a discord. I think it works cause its actually using a chat format rather than a thread format, and because the setting makes its use make sense lore-wise.

Edited by Kazetatsu
  • Agree 1

My site now is medieval, so we just have journals/letters, but I have had more modern sites with texts and social media and things like that.  We had some with like internet chatrooms that enabled random interactions and all that as well.    They were really great to have and saw a lot of use.  

• Agree 2

royals_rebels.gif

On one of my sites, the communications board is actually the most active. Haha! I love them; they're a great way to start something and connect characters/bounce them off each other before they meet in person or are thrown into a full thread together. 

• Agree 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I've been roleplaying a decade and I can count the number of comm threads I've had on one hand. I don't like them all that much so I don't do them unless one of my writing partners is really interested in one. So for me comm forums are completely and utterly useless. Your site might develop a culture to where comms are frequently done, it might not, but overall I'd suggest starting with one and then deleting it if it never got used. 

I looove them! The comms boards on my sci-fi site get used a lot, and go through periods of frenetic activity! We also have comms on Discord for quicker back and forth. Both get used, and both inspire threads allll the time. It's very common for people to quote comms in their threads. 🙂

We also use the discord ones for "voice tests". When people are working on a new character, they'll often toss them into the comms so they can play around with their voice, and how they interact with other characters. Super useful for character development! I dig it, and it's helped me figure out numerous characters.

• Agree 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

We have them and a few people really love to use them. I personally have not used them yet so I am not so sure it is any different than doing it in the thread itself. Which is what I usually do. 

It is not a board that we use much which is true, that might change? Not sure really because it seems weird to me not to just have it in the thread itself. 

spacer.png