Cbox Push Notifications

The Rebel

So our site has a discord and we are not interested in the titan embed.  Instead we have a cbox and would like to keep it since it's so guest friendly, but we are definitely much more active on our discord.  We do make sure to drop a few messages in the cbox, but the issue is that while we spot discord messages immediately, it sometimes takes just a little too long for us to notice guests in the cbox.  Not days or anything, but might be an hour or two at which point the guests popping in are usually gone, sometimes never to return.   Today I spotted that they have push notifications for the cbox at least with paid accounts.  It didn't seem to specify WHICH paid version you need, but yeah I was wondering if anyone had used this feature, which paid version of cbox you might have, and how it's worked out for you?  It would certainly be nice to get a pop up even when not looking at the board if someone says something in the cbox.  I think I read that you will still receive notifications even when not on the board.  Anyway, I figured it was worth checking out first before I shelled out money to pay for our cbox.  Anyone have any experience with this?

royals_rebels.gif

Not used it myself, but I remember seeing push mentioned in Cbox Pro. To be totally blunt with you, I had Pro once. I don't now. It wasn't worth the amount of money I was paying for it. Especially if you don't really use your cbox I don't see this being financially sound an investment, personally.

• Cheers 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Thanks  @Morrigan, I appreciate the link.  I've read the documentation, but I'm kind of curious to see if anyone has used it and it doesn't mention which version of the paid cbox has the feature, especially as they mention it's new and might have some issues so I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried it!  

royals_rebels.gif

• Admin

According to their Pricing Screen Pro only:

https://www.cbox.ws/products

• Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Thanks, I somehow managed to miss the breakdown at the bottom!  Probably nooooot worth it then.

Edited by The Rebel

royals_rebels.gif

• Admin

The fact that it only works on Android is definitely a deterrent.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Yeah that is pretty unfortunate.  Ah well.  Maybe there will be a better solution at some point.  Thanks for the input/links!

royals_rebels.gif

@The Rebel I'm using it with an up and coming (my coadmin and I wanted premium cbox for reasons other than the push notifications) and I'm not impressed so far with it's performance on android. I expect it'll be fine on desktops (and I imagine you'd have to keep a tab open for that bit to work.)

I wanted to ramble at you though - and please know that I completely understand the aversion to embeds and don't use them myself. That said, if your aversion to an embed was purely because of how long it takes to load, you could set it up so that it only loads on a button click.

Or to make a bunch of assumptions as to the source of your aversion:

You could have a guest channel that is the only one that is embedded on your site and you can load it only when a guest clicks on a certain button, preventing your users from having to load something that they don't need.

Things like reliability and appearance are whole other issues though. But I just wanted to highlight a potential solution for you. Again to reiterate, I completely understand the aversion, please don't feel the need to justify your choice.

• Thank you 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

@Kit the Human  Thank you! Please let me know how it goes in regards to push notifications on desktop and I don't mind the comments about the embed ❤️.  Any feedback is helpful really.  Yeah to be honest, my biggest aversion is aesthetics and then second would be even if it IS actually easy, I still think it's less intimidating for guests to just comment in the cbox.  Maybe as they improve the embed I will eventually cave (or if cboxes are out entirely).  Anyway, thanks again! I really appreciate the input!

royals_rebels.gif

No worries! I can necro this thread once I've gotten some proper experience under my belt re the notifications 💖

• Love 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png