Being Helpful, or Creating Dependency?

Arceus

I think either extreme is going to cause problems. Of course, this is all just my opinions, but I don't think I'm too wrong. It's what I've seen happen over and over again, from both points. 

A site immediately flooding a new member with plots/wanteds/etc and rolling out the red carpet in every way imaginable is not a good thing. Players will expect to get that same treatment all through their time on the site. They'll continue to want threads and connections delivered on a silver platter and won't go out of their way to make their own. This often seems to result in players leaving because "nobody will plot with me" or some equivalent, by which they mean, "nobody is tripping over themselves to do all the work for me". (Yes, this can be a legitimate problem, but for the purposes of the thread here, let's assume it's going down the way I described above.) 

But on the other hand, if nobody does anything to acknowledge a new member besides maybe one or two greetings? Not even one attempt by the existing members to post in their shipper or plot with them on Discord? That's going to give the impression that nobody is excited to see them and that nobody is interested in plotting with them. And most people will, quite understandably, leave before long if they believe that they're seen as unwanted or a nuisance. There's definitely a difference between "most members are currently unable to take on a new thread" and "the members are ignoring you and keep plotting with each other", and I don't see the former as a problem, but the latter is a great way to drive everyone off. 

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

This has been on my mind recently, too. My site's been open for several months now and I tried to step back, which resulted in a drop in in activity to the point where it almost died. So I stepped in again, appointed another admin so it wasn't all resting on my shoulders, and now things seem to be ticking along quite nicely. I think the admin needs to be a presence on both the site and in the Discord (if you have Discord).

That being said, I have had issues with certain people being very needy to the point of dependency. And when they didn't get the attention/approval they craved, they became hostile and defensive. The final straw came when I found out it wasn't just staff they were bugging, but everyone who came into the server, even new people. In that instance, I think the dependency issues were present in those people long before they came to us. That we didn't create it, it just took us a while to realise it was there and causing major problems. Their unwillingness to change or check their own behaviour meant also that it wasn't going to get better any time soon.

New-Project.png

HOME   PLOT

Guest Bekah

My admins and I discuss this a lot. We have had some very needy members in the past, who have required their hand to be held every step of the way. I am understanding to a point, that it's very daunting to join a rp totally out of your usual norm, but by the time that you've created your first character and been shown the ropes, I expect you to be able to do the basic things, such as finding an app, creating a character and filling out your claims. I have told my admins not to write characters for people, just guide them in the right direction. If they screw up a claim code, PM them to fix it - otherwise they will just keep doing it.

Activity checks are our downfall, but unfortunately, they are necessary. I don't think making a post once a month per character and checking into the activity check every month, is too much to ask. The absence board is there if members are particularly busy, but people seem to forget to use it. I have come to realise that no matter how many announcements or reminders that I post on the forum or on Discord, there are some people who will choose to ignore the help that you provide. I refuse to directly PM a member a reminder for them to check in to an activity check, that to me comes across as begging for them to be active and I'm not one to beg. Not only that, it would cause a member to be dependant on us looking out for them every month.

I believe there's a happy medium, you just have to be strong and stand firm when you find it.