Auto Greeted

StormyWays13

As a new site member or prospective member, do you like to be automatically greeted? For example in discord, the cbox, or even having an automatic welcome thread created for you. What about autogenerated discord PMs?

Do this help make you feel more welcome into the community, or does it put you off? What about autogenerated discord direct messages and announced server joining in chat channels?

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

I like seeing the different Discord webhooks when I join a server. And I kind of like when there's a message that draws people in to say hi to me because I like being able to talk with people right off the bat. And start getting integrated into the community and chatting and getting to know if I like the tone of the community. So I do like those. But beyond that, I don't really care all that much? Although I personally don't like welcome messages for registering a new account because, well. I'm a character hoarder and I don't need to see the same message ten times. 

If I am being honest, I do like the greetings that says hello, welcome and gives a needed link or two. Also, I tend to avoid actual c-boxes because it is rare that I can see the text because it's usually tiny. Having an auto-welcome PM created on a site is also helpful if we're allowed to use it for discussing character approvals, etc. Having a mandatory one on the actual forums, not as fond of.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

It definitely spooks me into saying something, the same way someone knocking on a public restroom makes me go "JUST A MINUTE".

I'm not sure I like them, but I can't deny they get the job done.

• LOL 1
  • Preach it! 1

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

I hate them. For me, it's like having a pushy sales person running at you when you've just glanced at the shop.

I'm a big girl, I can do the things when I'm good and ready.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Not a fan.  I personally don't like being called out if I am quietly perusing or my presence heralded to the room.  As an admin, I would still like an unobtrusive way to tell people that we would love to talk to them and answer any questions they have in their own time and comfort (I am just not sure people actually read the description where we say so).   For my co-admin and I, given our own levels of comfort with such things, we find it important to give the same choice in engagement.  If there were an invisible-to-all-other-players welcome/explanation that would be neat.  I just have not found that yet outside of automatic DM, but we decided that was just as, if not more, intrusive.  (Not to disrespect any boards that do use these.  Clearly many people like it!)

Edited by The Rebel
  • Like 2
  • Preach it! 1

royals_rebels.gif

• Admin

I'll be real only the DM ones are okay for me and I'm not sure they work with my privacy settings so... take that as you will.

Overall a greeting from Discord or a random "Hi guests" in a cBox feels a bit like an ambush. "I came in to snoop and here I am being spotlighted the moment I come in".

I personally have welcome messages restricted to private staff channel for RPs (not the Initiative). That's so we know you're there but we don't pressure or preintroduce you or anything like that. That should always be the end users choice.

I even hate it on gaming servers where I'm joining them to get answers.

• Preach it! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I like them! I think every Discord I’ve joined has had them set up, and I find them helpful. I can be shy, so it’s an icebreaker for me. And when it gives me useful information, then even better! Like how to get the proper roles and all that.

On the flip side, it makes it really difficult to snoop when I just wanna observe and get the feel for a place and be stealthy. xD And there was a time I accidentally joined a Discord and got ALL THE WELCOME MESSAGES and it was so awkward as I realized my error and quickly peaced out. Oops.

but I think the pros outweigh the cons, for me.

Edited by Viscount Rhi-Rhi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

I hate them. I already have major social anxiety. Getting a bunch of automated messages would just have me running. In the other direction. 

• Preach it! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I think they are nice and helpful for me to get the lay of the land. It's nice to have everything in one place. Though when I am snooping around I don't always want to be spotlighted.  DMed ones seem to be a nice balance.

I'm not a fan because I find them spammy. I'd rather be personally greeted. I have them turned off in my servers because they annoy me lol.

• Thank you 1

I would 100% hate an automated discord DM. I don't mind the welcome pms or the little bot that says I've entered the server. But my discord dms are like my front door. Go away. 

88x31buttondandy.png

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I'm quite introverted and don't really participate in Discord servers very often, but from time to time I'll join one if a friend requests it (though I rarely follow through in keeping up with it, I much prefer to just talk to people 1x1). When I join a server or a new site, I don't do it with the thought that I'll be able to sneak in and be invisible, even if sometimes I would prefer that. If I'm autogreeted in a server or other members of a community greet me, I say a quick thank you and that's that. No other conversation needs to be initiated if I don't feel like it.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

umbra-galaxy.png

18+ multi-genre community. no application. no word count.

As a member I don't mind an automated welcome message on the RP board as by that point I would have already decided to join by making an account. If it's just a 'hello' I find them a bit redundant, but if it includes useful information I don't mind. I guess I'm ambivalent though as I don't really care either way if I get a welcome message. It doesn't draw me in and it doesn't put me off either. I probably wouldn't want an automated Discord DM though. I find that weird.

In terms of Discord pinging when a new person has joined the server: as a potential member I don't mind as I kind of expect that from Discord servers now (which is why I now only join them if I'm seriously considering joining). Sometimes I'll be honest and just say I'm snooping around while I decide on things. I do agree though that if EVERYONE on the server suddenly jumps on the hello wagon it can be intimidating. Usually that's when I say I'm just looking around and hope that no one tries to start a long-winded conversation lmao

As an admin I like knowing when someone has joined the server. I tend to offer a 'hello, nice to meet you, if you're browsing and have any questions feel free to ask!' and leave it at that. I try to be friendly but not overwhelming 🙂