Gaia Questions

Marina

Hello!

I'm tinkering around Gaia using a localhost to get a feel for it, and am playing with themes and layouts. Is there a way to make a custom profile layout (for characters and players)? I'm not really... advanced when it comes to coding, but I know how to tinker around.

In MyBB, I can easily create a custom profile layout by using {$userfields['fidX']} and can arrange the profile how I like.

Similarly, I can do the same for information under the avatar in posts. Is there any way I can do something similar in Gaia? I've been trying to mess around with characters.template.php, but haven't had any luck yet haha.

Thanks!

Edited by Marina
Making this a general question thread for me

🦀🔪

Yes, both are possible. It is raw php at the moment. Nothing special. However, current Gaia users are advised to wait until Salerno to do anything with the themes beyond color changing unless they know php very well, because it's kind of hard and you'll just have to redo it when Salerno is released re: an entirely new template system. The same things will be possible. It will just be way, way easier.

P.S. The theme system is kind of bugged in the admin panel in Athens. Be careful in there.

P.P.S. All the larger icon sites in my signature are Gaia sites. I made most of the themes on them. That's what it can do. 

• Like 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Gotchya 🙂

And I'm gonna make this a general question thread for me, because I'm bound to have lots now that I'm learning everything haha.

Is there a way to allow HTML in posts? A lot of the users on the site I'm working on will want to use postscripts/tables.

EDIT: it looks like HTML postscripts are working, but only after I click "manage" after posting it?

Edited by Marina

🦀🔪

Gaia can only post in HTML. As an admin, you should have access to a button on the editor that looks like this <> should be first. This is the source button. Click it to edit the HTML coding directly.

For your own safety, and that of your forum, your members, even if you choose to enable the post in HTML permission for their member group which turns on the <> button, have their posts run through an HTML sanitiser in Erebos. This strips all HTML tags except certain ones (because doing it this way was easier) out of a post before posting it. This includes your own posts. So, depending on what codes you're trying to use, you may be finding that your codes are being stripped out. This is a known issue with the code blocks, as well. Works the first time but subsequent edits cause it to strip something and I'm not sure what, so it's likely unrelated to the HTML sanitiser, just mentioning it's a thing.

All the tags that go with tables, as well as div and spans, work. If you can get to it from clicking buttons on the editor bar, it works. Beyond that, I make no promises. There are a few things not on the bar that work but I can't remember offhand what.

• Like 1

(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Ahh, I see! Thanks so much!!

And also I am so excited and amazed at how awesome Gaia is! It's super beautiful and has all of the right features and more 🙂 I'm planning on donating more when I can, and am looking forward to more updates.

• You're Welcome 1

🦀🔪

• 4 months later...

Popping in here with another question!

I see when in core settings, "we're open!" is not selected, the registration page requires a key. Where can I find/edit what the key is? I'm not seeing it in core

🦀🔪

You find the key in the main admin page, where the admin notes are.

I hadn't realized it only shows when you have the forum to not open : ) Thanks!

And more:

My subforums are not appearing in the order that I have them in my admin panel. What's up here??

🦀🔪

Ah, your back-end might not be set to order the subforums by order. Not sure why it wouldn't be, but you can check, should be in application/core/chronos.php

categories_forums() is the function it's in, you'd be looking for $subforums - it should be ordering by for_position ASC. If it is... well, you stumped me, grats.

Just checked and it's there 😵

🦀🔪

That should be the only thing affecting it, so if it's not that, I've got nothin'. I suppose it's possible the jQuery script to rearrange them is messing up somehow but that should be reflected in the admin panel too, and even if that is what it is, I only know enough jQuery to make certain things work, not troubleshoot them. << The one thing I'm not good at. Lol!