New skin not loading over mobile?

Skadi

So we have the mobile version turned off so it always loads the whole skin, which has never really been an issue before. We just released a new skin and now no one can fully load the site on their mobile devices/tablets? I'm not sure if it's an obvious coding issue, broken code, or if it's just too image heavy, but even before we added the board images it still wouldn't load over mobile. Can anyone tell me why this might be a thing?

https://obliviatethenight.jcink.net

addds.gif.2e6b2697e05de6bbe39af8e65a3e5840.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

False, it still loads your mobile version.

What exactly is going wrong here? Because it works just fine for me on my phone. Does it hang up or stop loading randomly or what?

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

@ArceusWhen we try to load it over our mobile devices it only loads half-way or not at all. If it's working for you, could be a caching error or issue from people who've used the site before? I usually have to hit the X and stop the loading for it to show the fully loaded page.

Edited by Skadi

Potentially, yes. It loaded just fine for me, but I will mention that I loaded it on my phone over a fiber WiFi network. I'll run a few diagnostics on it now to see if anything turns up glaringly problematic, but I'm betting it's a caching issue or something like due to the fact adding or removing images doesn't make a difference.

We did have a notable hangup right there... what was that...

Alright so basically this site's taking, on a simulated 4G connection, about 8.5s to become interactive and it takes around 5.5s to load anything at all. That's really not great, but it really doesn't explain the massive hangup. It seems like it really doesn't like your images, it doesn't think they're encoded properly, and they're too large for the element they're in, so I guess there's a lot of CSS-based resizing going on. Actually, even on Chrome it's hanging up for a long time at the end of the load cycle, lemme watch the network fall and see why... actually... I think it might be the two font embeds for honeybee and bromello. I'd also recommend rehosting ALL of your images and always use HTTPS for everything you possibly can. There's also a TinyPic image in here somewhere I just saw, stop, TP shuts down in a week.

Hopefully that'll help, if not we can go from there.

Edit to add, https://thepatternlibrary.com/img/h.jpg this image specifically. It's failing to load and also taking 42 seconds to decide it's going to fail. Kill it. Kill it til it dies from it.

(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

I think the tinypic is from one of the acceptance codes we use, I will edit that. I removed the bromello since we don't use it, but how should I address the honeybee since we do use that? I'll work on rehosting the images asap.

I added a note up there about a specific image, don't miss that.

Ahm, it looks like this one's hosted on Dropbox and Bromello was hosted on another Jcink site? It's taking a while to load, but considering what it is, Dropbox might be your best bet. The only other thing I can think is to host it... well it's actually loading in 71ms and that's not bad. We can leave it alone for right now and see how it does. Bromello outright failed to load at all, so definitely a good call there.

@ArceusSo I've rehosted most of the images, and deleted bromello like previously mentioned. It doesn't appear anything has changed?

I also rehosted the broken image.

UPDATE! It works on my phone now, but now is still halting through discord links?

Edited by Skadi

Grats, you just knocked 2 seconds off your load time. It's now 6s to interactive on 4G. It is still failing to load jQuery resources but I think that's probably Jcink itself's problem, not yours.

Just links? Those shouldn't be impacting anything, just embeds would.

Yeah. Like any link to the site that loads through discord still halts.

Oooh, from Discord, yeah I don't know what would be causing that. My best guess is maybe the https/http disconnect (impinfo.png and a TinyPic image are served over HTTP instead of HTTPS and it may not like that). There are also several scripting errors due to some base scripts not loading in. Maybe someone else has a better idea than I do.

@Skadi, I grabbed Morrigan, and together we took a long look at this theme, and there are a lot of issues with it. It seems to us as if it was tweaked several times, and some things were duplicated unnecessarily, because there's a lot of repeated code and script calls, along with a number of other problems.

We theorise that your primary issues are:

1. FontAwesome is loaded about four or five times. It is also out of date.
  2. This theme loads in about six different Google Font embeds, as well as a high number of variants for several of them. This coupled with the non-Google font embeds is not good for loading times.
  3. There are four 301 errors to missing images, and a few redirects from missing images.
  4. There is still a notable mix of HTTP and HTTPS on the site, many images are not loading over HTTPS.

You have two options, you can have someone that knows what they're looking at comb through your site's coding to fix all these issues, or you can start over fresh, and watch the loading times and the copy-pasting as you tweak it. If the theme is already problematic in its default state, the latter won't really help. I'd be glad to have a look through your wrappers and help adjust things, if you'd like to paste them here. c:

As well, be sure to remind your members that any image or other embedded item they use must use HTTPS, or it will break SSL, and or be blocked on browser-side in order to maintain an SSL-enabled site's security.

@ArceusDoes this load come from all skins currently hosted, or just the one that's set default? Because I could only find one replication of FontAwesome and I just upgraded it.

I can't change themes as a guest anyway, so whatever's default.

• Admin

@SkadiRe-reviewing the site it looks like those files appear to be cleaned up. The best way to determine what files are loading on your site is to open up the Network tab in your inspector and refresh the site and way until it completes. It will tell you what is and isn't loading.

image.png

That's part of your sites current network loading.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.