I've Been Looking Back at Old RPs and...

Seravian

I have a question.

So I have been out of rping for a few years now. Every time I try to commit, I end up getting distracted or I'm just not feeling in in spite of the hype I get from hearing an idea pitch. As I look to really, and I do mean really, get back into the swing of things,  I find myself looking back at some old work.  That's nothing new, right? I'm looking to improve a character I've been writing for a long time, who has had a lot of rough developments over the years, and, through a lot of trial and error, has come together as an oddity. I have an urge to get back to writing this character so I've been looking at old roleplays I've written them in and critiquing parts I did not like about my writing, albeit rather harshly.

So, let me ask: it it fair to look back?

What I mean is, not for myself, for my partner. Now said partner has been absent from the site I rp on for quite some time now. From what I understand, they had a lot going on in their life and eventually fell out of it. It happens. They were an awesome writer, and a fantastic partner. Hell if they stumble across this place, and know what I'm talking about, hey! I hope all has been well with you and thanks for putting up with my hot mess. I digress, however.

Is it fair for me to tear apart an rp without the other person there? I just feel dirty is all. I don't know how else to describe it. Again, I'm more tearing into my side of things, looking back at my own mistakes, but still. 

That is a weird place to be and I've actually been there. I stopped looking back because honestly I continue to be my own worst critic. Some of what I write these days does involve some other things (history) of where I've been in the past. It's okay to rework a character even without someone there. I guess I got to the point that it's my character and well I can do what I want with it. No disrespect to past/ex/retired partners, but it's okay to do what you need to to be happy with the character. If I don't have the express permission of said partner, I'll typically write in Random NPC #445 to fill the gap so I don't disrespect that person's work and then I look for a means of writing around it (bad falling out, sudden leaving, etc) but I don't write it in a way that affects the other person's work (death, maiming, things of that nature). 

A couple of the characters I write with now were in a Seattle setting a while back on a different forum. I elude to it when I write them these days but don't directly mention any names. I've learned there's ways to tip your hat to the past and still keep going. 

Example:

Sally thought wistfully back on her time in Seattle. She wished that things had been different there, but times change and so do people. Now Sally focuses on what's ahead of her. 

In the example I tipped my hat, didn't do any harm, and moved along. It sometimes seems dirty but honestly there are times when we have to just remember it's our characters and our creations. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

spacer.pngDecadence

Thanks for the advice, I feel relieved lol 

I have a bad habit of getting stuck on things, or overthinking. I didn't want to discredit my old partner's efforts in any way because the rps we did are ones I held near and dear to me. Moving on without feeling that way is just hard I guess.

So thank you! I'll definitely take your advice into consideration! 🙂 I feel like I got a huge weight off my shoulder, as cheesy as that sounds. 

I did the exact same things. I had to learn to remember that making them happy wasn't making me happy and it's kind of tiring to be miserable. So I had to find my way. I hope it works for you as good as it did for me. And it's not cheesy at all. I felt the same thing as well! Hope things get better for you!

spacer.pngDecadence