Gaia's Member Groups Question

StormWolfe

Hi there!

As we get closer to trying to make next month's starting date at Aereth, I am freaking out...mildly and silently - LOL

First, I love the simplicity of setting up Member Groups. However, I need to find out a couple of things. Hopefully, I am not asking the impossible.

Admin and Super User?

• What are the differences in these two group's permissions?

Super User and Standard User?

• Similar question - how do the permissions differ?

If I absolutely did not want - say a Mod to have certain permissions, can it be changed without scrambling Gaia's brain?

Thankies!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

The difference between those really depends on you and how you set them up, so I'm going to answer the question you should be asking, which is what's the difference between a Site Owner, a Super User, and a group with neither permission.

The answer's pretty simple: site owners have access to the admin panel. There are no restrictions what they can access in the admin panel, so be careful which groups you give this permission, but also make it clear that only a user with the site owner permission can approve things because if only one group has it then that group is the only group that can approve anything. Site owners can edit, delete, and ban every other user except user 1. Unless they are user 1 but even then they can't delete or ban themselves. The super user permission allows that group to edit, delete, and move items that belong to other users. Both site owner and super user can post in forums that are marked as read only I believe (it may only be site owner, I can't clearly recall). Groups with neither permission set can post in non-read-only boards, edit their own posts, and I believe delete their own posts and topics, unless JP is turned on in which case they can edit anything (not delete though).

To allow a user the ability to edit the source HTML of a post, their group needs the HTML Enabled permission. Understand and remember that Erebos will filter out any HTML tag it isn't expressly told to allow in order to protect your forum, so even editing the source HTML one can find some of their HTML doesn't work once posted.

One note on site owners and user #1, whoever is user #1 should have access to the admin panel whether they have the site owner permission or not, because they're user #1. You may have to manually access the right URL, but you should still be able to log into it. I'll be making sure it works consistently on Salerno, but it should be mostly functional on Athens (I do not recommend taking yourself off site owner to find out, but it's a fall-back protection against idiots). So quite honestly if you're user #1 it doesn't matter what permissions you have because you have what you have 100% of the time no matter what the settings say, or at least that's the idea. So no your fellow admins can't remove you from staff if you're #1. But you can remove them.

Now, what you get with each permission set is currently what you get and frankly is highly unlikely to get any more sophisticated than this because I'm one person and fuck all that noise. If ever I did do it, it'll be a long time in the future before I do. So to take only certain permissions away or restrict access to certain admin panel sections would require a whole lot of back-end alterations and I'm not about that life right now and it'd go away when you update anyway. In Salerno I do aim to have a moderation panel like the admin panel but for mods where you can quick approve items, so that super users can fucking approve things - I am so fucking sick of making typos fingers please you know what the fuck you're doing stop acting stupid - without having to wait for a site owner to get on.

Hope that makes sense.

• Love 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Awesome! That's perfect. I just needed to get a better idea of how Gaia handled the various user levels since I'm officially looking for staff now.

Thank you so much, dear heart!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!