Plotter management

Morrigan

• Admin

jim carrey power GIF

So I've been on plenty of sites that do plotters one of a million ways.

• Some sites do plotter apps
  • Some sites let you post one for each character in a specific plotter forum
  • Some sites tell you to combine all your plotters into one post in a plotter forum.
  • Some sites create a forum for you to post your plotters into.

For me, since I use IPS only, I have converted Clubs into User plotters. This gives the player the ability to create their own plotter and manage everything within it themselves. It also empowers them to do more than plotters, they can do inspiration threads, music threads etc.

I'm curious as to how YOU implement them and some of your favored methods for implementing plotters onto sites.

• Fuck Yeah! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Occasionally I'll do something called a note board. It's like an IPS club but just a forum, users are made moderators of said forum and can request sub-forums and set up the threads in it however they want. That's my favourite way of doing it because it also lets players post journals and little notes to self, mood boards and aesthetic stuff, whatever, without really taking over anyone else's space. Everyone has their own.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 2

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

• 1 month later...

On my sites, I have a subforum for plotters, and I ask that our members post one plotter thread per character. I find that this keeps things a bit more organized, and it can also make it easier for other members to focus on just the one other character that they are plotting with.

I also like to keep my food separated on my plate, so perhaps this is just my opinion -- but I haven't gotten any complaints about it yet!

On sites other than my own, I find that plotters that feature multiple characters can get a bit cluttered, and I get frustrated when I am limited to one plotting thread for all of my characters.

Of course, I never play just one character!

At any rate, different strokes for different folks. If it's your site, I'd advise doing whatever makes the most sense to you. 

user posted image  

I have a forum for plotters and people can post whatever they want. One per player, one per character, whatever. And if they want. If plotters aren't your thing, whatever, they're not mandatory, just suggested. 

We also have a plotting channel on Discord. Channels for plotting, open threads, wanted ads, and tags. It's the same kind of "use or ignore as you like" thing with the plotter forum.

Ultimately, I think having options is the best way to get things rolling. And to be proactive with plotting as an admin, in whichever way you like, because members follow staff examples. If you plot with everyone, your members are more likely to plot with everyone too. 

I don't care how people plot or don't plot, just don't bitch at me if you make no attempts at plotting with people and they don't know you exist lmao

• We have a sub-forum for submitting open player-led plots in order to invite other players to participate (we also have one for what we call "Main Chapter" plots that are storylines revealing game secrets and/or events that are open to the world at large). 

• We have a sub-forum for players to create plot note threads per character as well, mostly as a way of keeping track of things for themselves, but other players are welcome to reply to those threads and set up stories that way.

• Most of our activity, however, takes place on Discord when it comes to plotting. We have a general plotting channel and then various user roles unlock private plotting channels based on Kingdom, organization, or other predetermined group (such as a traveling circus or a musical troupe, as specific examples).

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD