Development Forums, what are they good for?

Kit the Human

So you get a forum on the RP board that you're on to put whatever you like in them.

How do you use them? What do you like about them? (I'm shamelessly looking for ideas - it's not something I ever got into!)

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• Admin

I use the clubs of IPS for general allowance of control But Images, inspiration information, playlists etc.

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I use the blogs feature for it. 

Basically what @Morrigansaid. People also do character clothing profiles, too. Colour schemes,etc.  

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Pics? Because I can't picture it. Like, you just shove a playlist link in the topic/blog? (I personally, don't give a rats how you decide to present your dev forum to members, I'm interested in how you use them.)

Edited by Kit the Human

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I post mvs from YouTube for theme songs. I also like to post layouts of my characters’ homes. Pets that the characters have. Family lists or trees. Anything that comes up in posts or threads or just my brain that I want to share with my writing partners. 

• Thank you 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I have one and I personally don't use it but the members do for things like that are particular to their characters. One did a spellbook for their mage. Another has places their characters own. It's pretty neat to check out and see what they all come up with. We call it Chronicles. A little different but pretty cool to look at all the same.

• Thank you 1

spacer.pngDecadence

We have a couple of different "Development Forums" on Thorns:

1. World Development - Here, folks can submit their additions and edits to the World of Vita—NPCs, new businesses, new locations, consumables, literature, flora, fauna ... anything really.
  2. Character Development - Folks use their plot notes to give other players a chance to see what they're looking for in a plot or a story arc and connect with one another, but also to keep track of their characters' growth and change and goals and threads.
  3. Moderator Development - Secret forums where us admins and moderators discuss world development things and main chapter plot things as needed (otherwise a lot of talking is hashed out on discord, really).
  • Thank you 1

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

The last site I was on that had them, Mainly we just had links out to pictures. But like, labelled. There were things like, floor plans for their houses, with little notes if the pictures didn't match up, lists of their pets and pictures to what they might look like. It was like, whenever you were bored and doing random research into your character you just dumped all the links there, so anyone who wanted to see them could at their own leisure if they wanted to know more about your character.

• Like 2
  • Thank you 1

I got into development threads around this time last year. I had never used them prior to this besides like the communication/texting threads. I kind of fell in love with doing them because it helped me figure out what my characters liked and such. 

Usually what i post on mine are more pictures of them because I’m notorious for my revolving avatars. So in order to stop myself from adding 15+ pics to their avatars I just slap them into the dev thread. I also like to find pictures of a place that they might live, something to do with their species (ex. I have a leopard shifter so I compiled a couple of pictures of leopard), maybe their job if that’s really important, a hobby, a playlist, their aesthetic, pets, maybe if their have family or a love interest, friends, gifs. I know a person who stores their posting template for their character on theirs. 

The options are really endless. I hope I was able to help!!

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • LOL 1

spacer.png

Will you be another face in the night? 

18+ | 333 Rating | No Word Count | No Activity Check | Diverse Species 

Home | Plot | Rules | Species | Claims | Site Trailer

A lot of times, I don't know what to put in development forums myself but I do enjoy looking at them! Generally I try to use it as a place to compile information and tidbits about my character that don't have a place in the application/profile or extra stuff in general that isn't really important per se, but something I'd still like people to have a reference for if they care to look.

In terms of what I've seen it used for? There's a lot. Moodboards, playlists, questionnaires, character closets, standalone character stories, concise timelines and tbh a lot more...I personally consider a character development forum to pretty much be a place where you can put any and all information you want about your character that didn't need to be placed in the application/profile.

I may not be the best at filling mine up because it's like an abundance of riches (never really know where to start!) but I love looking at others and seeing details that might not be relevant or ever really crop up in-game.

• Like 1

Mostly for images I am considering using or templates I like. I also like to use them for marking progress on stories and such. 

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Development boards can be a lot of fun if people actually participate and add things to them. I've seen a lot of sites where no one touches them because they're unsure what to do, but if they're full and active, you'll find a wealth of interesting little tidbits of information about characters.

Personally, I use mine to link character pinterest boards, to link spotify playlists, urstyle, and things of that nature. My absolute favorite things to see on dev boards are myers-briggs (I know they're not exactly accurate but they're still fun), Hogwarts houses, and other pieces of trivial information that a person might find interesting about a character they're fond of.

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

I prefer when a site just allows me to have one THREAD per character, not a whole forum to myself. Usually if I use development threads, it's because somebody roleplaying with me wanted additional information or something on a character and it was easier to use a development thread for all of that extra 'not always necessary' info. Actually if I code the post in an organized way, I can usually get away with one thread for ALL of my characters, even if I end up with a dozen+ characters.

As for what's in them, I usually just add things that would make for a 'slightly more detailed' profile like character heights and such. 

Edited by graceomalley

• 1 month later...

I have zero use for development boards, I am genuinely not one of those writers who finds them useful. I think perhaps I'm simply too lazy. However I know many friends and members on my sites really enjoy using them. Some more than others. So yeah, personally I don't use them but I know a lot who do.