Development Forums, what are they good for?

Kit the Human

I enjoy having them (or partaking in them) because I feel as though itassists in the development of my characters, and it gives others a chance to see into them. I usually always have a playlist in them, a tracker/timeline.

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with development forums. For me it depends on the character if I want to utilize it or not. I have some characters that when we are working on posts want to share the music that is currently driving their feelings. Sometimes I will use them for pic spam of a ship, or I'll post their house/apartment. More or less I let the character dictate what we put in there whether it be clothes, general aesthetics, music etc. I have seen some folks will keep a tracker of their threads and their plots in theirs. I have even seen some people use theirs as storage for their templates so they can just quickly copy and paste. I definitely don't use them for every character and don't always use them on every site.

Platinum and Pearls

a real life rp set in a fictional version of Monaco

advertisement.png

I never really use dev forums. I prefer Pinterest boards instead, and that's about the extent of it. But I've seen other people use them for collecting moodboards, song playlists, journal entries, one-shots, relationship trackers, and links to things their character would like such as realty listings for their dream home or wiki pages for their favorite tv show. 

I feel kind of awkward using dev forums honestly. Like, I kind of feel like there's probably no one else around who cares about all these things that remind me of my character? Because I can't remember ever paying too much attention to anyone else's dev (unless the character is really integral to the story of one of mine, and even then I'll just give it a once over from time to time when threading with them).

Still, I just... kind of enjoy having that space? I primarily a pinterest person, and that's where I collect all these pretty things that remind me of a character, and SOMETIMES I get the need to unload a portion of them, share them in public.

I also tend to store custom post, dev and wanted codes in a dev board (provided they're allowed on the forum).

b3.png.ddd374d50d86896978f146d1af65d1a4.png

Love 'em. I'm intrigued by peoples' thought processes and influences, and I enjoy being given the opportunity to get a peek at the work people put into their characters.

They can also be entertaining for some tongue-in-cheek references.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly

I dabble with dev boards, but I've never gotten into them the way some people do. I've personally used mine for stashing outfit ideas, location images, floorplans, playlists and random snippets of headcanon. 

A board I was on recently, had a group dev boards as well. At first I was pretty meh about the whole thing. But after poking around I decided it was a pretty neat idea and one I may implement in the future. Basically the same sort of stuff as single character dev boards but on a collective scale. It was interesting seeing some of the ideas and canon develop there before being written into the threads.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Irenic Institute

• 2 weeks later...

I use them for things like 

• Solos. Sometimes I want to write something but not tie somebody else to it. Maybe it was in the past, ect
  • Residence description! I like to flesh out where my character lives
  • Clothing, same reason as above, though if there's an appearance section to the application I'd write it there.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I find that development forums aid me in perfecting my characters.  A lot of applications on websites focus more on your character(s) history and the basics while skipping over personality. So when I find myself having a development forum I put everything towards personality; songs, clothing, strengths and weaknesses, so on and so forth.

Therefore when I begin posting/continue to post I find myself having a more fleshed out character than I would have had I simply written up their history and left it at that.

• 1 month later...

It really depends on the character for me, honestly. Generally, I stash random bits of info and playlists, or sometimes some images/aesthetic/mood boards. I had one character who just had a lot to say about literally everything, so his board turned into basically his "diary". Another character's board basically turned into their own Pinterest (I don't use it myself). Whenever there's a chance for dev board/threads, I tend to go a little nuts lol

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

• 2 weeks later...

Typically I use and have seen others use them for extras related to their characters. Playlists, templates, Tinder, and Instagram are common topics that I have come across. 

After reading this thread I added character/mood boards as a forum. I found it useful to put in some of the history of my character since she started somewhere else and I didn't want to rewrite all of those RP's since some were completed with others not on my site. So, both me and my writing partner have used them to effectively get everyone up to speed with where our characters are at and a little on how they got there.

I will also use them for other things around my character and I give each new post a heading to show what that one is about.

Edited by Flahme

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

• 4 weeks later...

I think development boards can be really awesome for me as a writer, but they can be intimidating when you see the cool stuff other people make with them when you arent necessarily that coding savvy.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I use them to display some of the character art I've made or that I've gotten, but I've also fished around on coding resource sites and found dev board codes to drop in there, too. Things like code templates for a character, mood boards, playlists. Sometimes, if the site doesn't have a spot already I drop in shippers or trackers in there, too.